Premium vs Regular... With some science this time!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh boy, this thread again. For the tightwads running cheap gas to save a few hundred dollars, you realize you are losing $10k in depreciation this year right? The price difference between gas grades is one of the least expensive things about owning this truck.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
well... I think this kind of dispels the “eco” myth in ecoboost. The Escalade TROUNCES the F150 in mpg...

Ouch.

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's not a good reference for the tt raptor. The raptor makes 17% more power than the 150, where do you think they are getting that power from? Certainly more boost and timing, so then the raptor is going to benefit more from premium fuel than the standard f150.
Also premium does not cost 20% more, it's about 10%
So for instance, in my 6.2 (yes unlike most of the bench players chiming in i try to back it up) i see an 8% gain in fuel economy with premium vs regular (for a net 2% loss) HOWEVER with the 6.2 the power on premium is 411 vs 400 on reg so really there's my 2% that "I'm paying for" not to mention, premium fuels are just that. Premium. Meaning less carbon buildup among other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s one reason why I’m personally convinced to continue to run premium. It would undoubtedly be a bit more beneficial than it is on the standard EB engine which itself was producing 10+ more hp.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh boy, this thread again. For the tightwads running cheap gas to save a few hundred dollars, you realize you are losing $10k in depreciation this year right? The price difference between gas grades is one of the least expensive things about owning this truck.

You are right, it only saves about $500 a year.

But if you dont notice any difference with premium then why do it again?

I keep forgetting the reason.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
11 HP gain over Regular gas. Seems I recall saying over a year ago boosted Ford's gained 10HP when using Premium fuel. Then all the idiots chimed in arguing there was no difference.

A regular F150 is not a Raptor btw.....The engines and tunes are very different.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not only that, but I keep seeing that premium is generally cleaner/higher quality than regular. Any truth to this or is it just octane rating?

OP
OP
J

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not only that, but I keep seeing that premium is generally cleaner/higher quality than regular. Any truth to this or is it just octane rating?

I don’t think so, if it’s from the same source. Meaning regular Chevron vs premium Chevron, I don’t think one is inherenty cleaner than the other.

Now with that said if your engine is designed for premium I could possibly conceive of a cleaner running engine due to a more complete ignition. I’ve read that one of the ways a computer will attempt to curb pre-ignition is to also dump more fuel in the cylinders to reduce the charge temp. This could lead to a lot more umburnt fuel.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are right, it only saves about $500 a year.

But if you dont notice any difference with premium then why do it again?

I keep forgetting the reason.

The same argument applies to the Raptor vs XLT. The XLT does 99.9% of the things the Raptor does, yet everyone here spent 2x as much for a Raptor to get that extra 0.1%.