Premium gas or ethanol free?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Lupa

Lupa

Reaction score
We run ethanol free at my shop, but that's because ethanol wreaks havoc on small engines. So I guess 93 octane is the consensus preference, but if I can source 91+ ethanol free would that be superior?

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^What they said. Ethanol acts as an octane booster of sorts depending on its concentration.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Why do you think the truck runs better on ethanol than on pure gasoline? As you add ethanol, the energy content of the fuel goes down.
I only got one tank to mess with, down near OBX, but I got to run a ‘pure gas’ tank back to back against a 10% ethanol tank. Power was fine, but, I was down 2 full mpg on the pure gas tank, with practically the same driving conditions. If anything, I was harder on the ethanol tank.

My buddy raves about pure gas, and I was expecting better from the rather pricey non ethanol gas, but didn’t get it. It was only one tank and I’m certain I’ve seen @FordTechOne point out the truck is slow to restore timing/performance after low octane gas, maybe you need a few tanks to see a difference.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For best performance on the stock tune, or any of COBB's OTS maps, you should always run the highest octane E10 fuel available from a 'Top Tier' rated gas stations. Ethanol-free fuels, even if rated at 91/93 OCT (R+M/2) will always be more knock-prone and perform worse than conventional E10 91/93 OCT equivalents.

Ethanol blended fuels have a lot of misinformation spread about 'em. Due to the chemical structure of ethanol as a molecule vs. the hydrocarbon chains found in conventional ethanol-free gasoline, the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio is richer - a greater number of ethanol molecules need to be mixed with the air entering the engine in order to achieve a balanced combustion reaction between oxygen and fuel. Since you have to inject more fuel for a given volume of air, you could say that ethanol has a lower chemical potential energy by volume compared to conventional gasoline. BUT - this is not a bad thing for performance!

One of the greatest advantages of ethanol fuel is that it has a greater latent heat of vaporization than conventional gasoline. It will absorb a greater amount of heat energy from its surroundings when in the air/fuel charge when compared to gasoline. Combine this latent heat of vaporization with the greater volume of fuel being injected, you get significantly lower combustion chamber temperatures. This is a significant contributor to resistance to knock.

For more detail on fuel characteristics, this document has some very helpful information: http://iqlearningsystems.com/ethanol/downloads/Racing Fuel Characteristics.pdf

Increasing the knock threshold allows for an engine to safely run more ignition timing. The Raptor engine - along with most road going vehicles - are significantly octane limited. By increasing the knock threshold with ethanol fuels, very large power gains are attainable via tuning. In short, ethanol is your friend!

The stock tune (and all COBB OTS maps) are designed to run on an E10 blend of fuel. Fuel lines, fuel pumps, and fuel injectors are all designed to safely run on ethanol. While you may eek out 0.5-1MPG improvements by running ethanol-free fuel, the performance capability of the fuel will be drastically lower.

Here is a great video from the folks at HP Academy covering an example tune for ethanol vs. conventional pump gas:

Before you get too excited and fill up with E85, please remember that significant changes in ethanol content must be tuned for - the ECU needs to be programmed to "expect" the significantly richer AFR, or you risk max-ing out fuel trims and/or outrunning the fuel delivery capacity of the stock fuel system. Any COBB Protuner can get you setup with an ethanol blend tune via the Accessport - Goosetuned is getting great numbers via E50 on these trucks. His thread in the engine performance sub-forum has a lot of great information covering fuel quality and ethanol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How the truck reacts on the stock tune to varying fuel quality is a completely different story. There is an octane learning system called Knock Octane Modifier (KOM) that will adjust engine operation based on inferred octane. KOM is a global modifier that ranges in potential output from +1 (highest fuel quality) to -1 (lowest fuel quality). KOM interacts with ignition timing and the boost control system to increase timing and maximum load (boost) when inferred fuel quality is high, and decreases timing and maximum load when inferred fuel quality is low. Changes to ignition timing will be active at all engine loads - from highway cruising to WOT. With higher octane fuel, most people will notice improved fuel efficiency as well as increased power, as the ECU is running more ignition timing in most operating conditions. This makes for a more efficient translation of the force of the combustion event into rotational movement of the crank.

KOM will increase or decrease based on the presence of engine knock - this is what we mean by "inferred" octane, as there is no such thing as an octane sensor. The ECU uses feedback from knock sensors to either increase or decrease KOM. If significant knock is detected and individual cylinder ignition timing corrections are significantly low, KOM will lower. If no knock is detected AND the ECU is able to add a significant amount of positive timing correction, then KOM will increase. Driving style will determine how quickly KOM learns back up after the truck sees low quality fuel. I can get KOM to learn up from 0 (default after an ECU reset on the stock tune) to +1 in about a mile with 93 OCT in the tank. You generally want to drive at mid-load (30-40ish % throttle), in the middle of the rev range (2500-4500RPM) for a sustained stretch while keeping gas pedal inputs steady and manually shifting. This helps the engine operate in a zone where it can easily run large positive ignition timing corrections without encountering knock. Two or three steady pulls like this and KOM is back up at +1. On the other hand, I've seen some folks that have a driving style that won't allow KOM to learn up for days.

Car and Driver did a cool test for a few vehicles demonstrating the importance of premium fuel, with an F150 as a tester. What wasn't covered in this article is whether or not the stock ECU is programmed to adjust for varying octane fuels. We know that the Ford octane learning system is very active, and as a result we see very significant differences in C&D's test. Other vehicles that see less of a difference likely do not have an octane learning system on their factory ECUs, or are at least much less reactive.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

We maintain the use of KOM on all of our OTS maps. However, we do not recommend leaning on this feature as an "auto-octane" system because it requires engine knock to occur in order to adjust for lower octane fuels. Imagine that you are driving around on a 93 OCT map, KOM is +1, and you fill up at a gas station with 87 OCT. You hammer the throttle out of the gas station, and before the ECU can learn the lower inferred octane and adjust KOM to safely retard ignition timing and reduce load, you get a ton of (potentially catastrophic) knock! If you are running an Accessport, you can easily change over to one of the pre-loaded lower octane maps or even the stock tune within 30-60 seconds - way faster than it takes to fill a 33 gallon tank! In our opinion, this is a much more fail-safe way of adjusting for varying fuel quality.

Last edited:

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
Why do you think the truck runs better on ethanol than on pure gasoline? As you add ethanol, the energy content of the fuel goes down.

COBB summed it up perfectly. I live in a state that prides itself on ethanol free gas. After my tuning session the non ethanol gas was pulling tons of timing. I was leaving a lot of power on the table. Now when I fill up I pull up to the pump with e85 and I add about 3 gallons to each fill up. My truck gets better mileage and makes more power.

Lags

Full Access Member
Reaction score
COBB summed it up perfectly. I live in a state that prides itself on ethanol free gas. After my tuning session the non ethanol gas was pulling tons of timing. I was leaving a lot of power on the table. Now when I fill up I pull up to the pump with e85 and I add about 3 gallons to each fill up. My truck gets better mileage and makes more power.
Granted I just sold my Raptor, I agree 1000%. I ran a goosetuned stage 2 ninety-one octane tune, I live in CA and 91 was the highest octane I could find, and just like dixonk said, with the 36 gallon tank, I would fill 3 gal. e85 and the rest 91, it was amazing how much seat of the pants feel and mpg you get. Now, with that being said, Winfield, the man behind goosetuned, always recommended against it because he said it ran way to thin. It was so much fun though.