PPF Buyers Remorse + I'm an idiot = I'm lost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s the consensus on putting ppf on the flares for those that off road? Does it last and stay on? Talking to several installers and a few have told me they won’t do the flares because the ppf wont properly adhere.
My wrap is sticking fine on mine.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a title I know but let me explain where I'm at. So a week ago I brought my truck to a local place that does ceramic coating and come to find out they also do SunTek PPF. So I lined up a appointment and got money prepped etc...I've listed below what I had done and dropped the truck off on Monday and picked it up on Friday. Well I initially had asked him about PPF on the fender flares and this kinda led to a snowball effect and we ended up with a good bit of work done. The initial pics and even when I got it, I liked it but after a few days I realized I had made a mistake. I liked the original look much more and enjoy matte 100x more than gloss. So now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I really want to remove the PPF from the bumpers, rear splash guard, and flares but come to find out removing it from the flares either via him or me would remove the paint. I also have a dilemma where I don't know if I totally trust the PPF work. Let me state his detailing is TOP NOTCH and the PPF on the actual paint(hood etc..) was really good. Just needing any advice I can get. I just kinda want my truck back to stock asap. I've included pics of trouble areas and the job all around. Also I wanna mention I live in rural Alabama so driving an hour+ to leave my truck at another shop even if better just isn't feasible for me, which sucks a big ole' bag of cox N dix.

PPF on the following:

Front bumper
Rear bumper
Front fenders
Fender Flares
Rear splash guard
A/B pillard
Door cups
Side Mirrors
Ceramic coating
suppose to use stealth on flares and front bumper so its not shiny thats what my ppf installer did. i have complete front ,hood .fenders , flares ,headlights , a pillars , front doors ,mirrors bumper ,bpillars , and sills

Attachments

• IMG_1325.jpeg
    IMG_1325.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1326.jpeg
    IMG_1326.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I feel your pain bud. The cheapest way around this is to peel it all off (which will take off some paint) and then have the flares wrapped matte gray. Should be fairly cheap compared to repainting or new flares.

I did something similarly stupid. Wrapped all my flares and bumper with matte PPF. After I did it, I realized I could never take it off (without ripping the paint off), so the PPF doesn't have much function!
That’s one way to look at it, but with the ppf on the flares it’ll prevent chips and scratches and is self healing so should look perfect for a long time. Defeats the underlying purpose of ppf in the sense that you can’t remove 10 years later to reveal flawless paint.

Blue Devil

Reaction score
I would tell him to fix the spots he screwed up. When he takes it off to fix, if the paint comes off that's on him. Then you choose whether he pays to repaint or wrap or whatever.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, steamer to help remove the PPF. I spoke to Suntek at the SEMA show on removal of mine. With the Flares you do risk ripping it off, the longer it is on the harder it is to get off. Suntek makes 3 levels of PPF, the top being the most expensive.
I have used a steamer on several cars to remove and it was way better and less risky than heat. Done slowly it leaves almost no residue. Worth a try before buying new flares or scheduling a paint job. This is a nice unit and I found other uses for it like removing OEM labels on the visors.

RE Mac

Reaction score
I think it looks good, other than the couple problem areas. No one else will notice those but no one else really matters