Power Wagon Rival?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
People keep complaining about the Power Wagon not having a diesel. FCA has said that the diesel won’t clear the electronic quick disconnect sway bar mechanism due to the size of the engine. I’m guessing this is part of the reason that Ford didn’t go the disconnecting sway bar route since they wanted to offer the package for both Super Duty powertains.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I own a 2018 F250 with these mods already (well, 2” fox shocks..) and the thing is an animal. I actually bought the Raptor as I wanted something “smaller” to drive since the ‘250 won’t fit in the my parking garage at work.

I tend to agree on the Tremor - it’s interesting, and I would have bought it from the factory, but would likely still end up modding the suspension. Ford just tends to put really poor shocks on everything except the Raptor.

I looked at the Power Wagon as well - beautiful truck, but I feel like they missed the mark without it having the diesel in it.
I think the diesel is too big and too heavy for what they were trying to do? I believe just like the Raptor the PW has reduced payload/tow capability due to the suspension? Could be wrong, but adding probably close to 500 hundred more lbs of curb weight w/ that big ass FE block Cummins + beefier Torque converter/tranny would exacerbate that.

Where they missed the mark is not stuffing the hopped up SRT8 6.2 w/ 485hp

Where they really Really CONTINUE to miss the Mark is not putting 5.7 hemi into the wrangler

Quick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the diesel is too big and too heavy for what they were trying to do? I believe just like the Raptor the PW has reduced payload/tow capability due to the suspension? Could be wrong, but adding probably close to 500 hundred more lbs of curb weight w/ that big ass FE block Cummins + beefier Torque converter/tranny would exacerbate that.

Where they missed the mark is not stuffing the hopped up SRT8 6.2 w/ 485hp

Where they really Really CONTINUE to miss the Mark is not putting 5.7 hemi into the wrangler

Fair point. I suppose I should revise it to “they missed the mark for my market segment”, which was primarily as a tow vehicle. I was only interested in diesels.

Definitely agree with the wrangler remark. I had a JL for a short period and it was a dog - definitely needs the Hemi.

Jspeers89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's even more a dog is the newer and heavier jt truck and the fact that jeep is adamant about using the pentastar engine. What's the biggest phenomenon is that people don't get it and still purchase them.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tremor has two motor options 7.3L gasser, 6.7L diesel. 7.3L gasser is a 4.30 gear set, 6.7L diesel is 3.55 gear set.

So short a winch and remote disconnect sway bars stops most you guys. Tough crowd.....

2017svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford has a deal going with Fox and why wouldn’t they put a nice set of coil overs on this truck?

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford has a deal going with Fox and why wouldn’t they put a nice set of coil overs on this truck?
The shocks are internal by-pass and that type of shock requires a great amount of R&D...but I agree that had they gone that route it could be 1 step above the PW.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What's even more a dog is the newer and heavier jt truck and the fact that jeep is adamant about using the pentastar engine. What's the biggest phenomenon is that people don't get it and still purchase them.
ESPECIALLY from a company that makes vehicles like the Trackhawk, Hellfats, viper, & maybe that TRX!?? They love hemi-fying or throwing forced induction @ pretty much anything EXCEPT their most beloved trademark vehicle.

Banana land

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a PW. I have a whole 80 miles on it so I cannot defend it just yet except for gas mileage as I used 1/4 so far. Seems like I will get 15-18. I will have to update you on a normal tank as I already tested it out at 100 mpg(98 lame limiter) and the Diesel engine would be nice it is just too heavy for off road. The shocks would be modified and the winch would not fit. It would move it in to a higher cost bracket and out price for some of us.
Compared to my 13 raptor with the 6.2l it is a close run. But the new 8 speed with the granny low in 4w is dead on with the new 19 Raptors.
I will field questions as I learn and off road with this beast. I could not wait for the Tremor as my dealer did not know when it hit the lot. And since I am not on the Ford payroll, I thought I would explore new options. I hope to run a trail with some Raptors to get a personal side by side comparison on some of its features. (Even Baja for the heck of it)

F10359C2-DC74-4E2B-A041-05ECDBD601E5.jpeg

Last edited:

Geoffmp

Reaction score
I just bought a PW. I have a whole 80 miles on it so I cannot defend it just yet except for gas mileage as I used 1/4 so far. Seems like I will get 15-18. I will have to update you on a normal tank as I already tested it out at 100 mpg(98 lame limiter) and the Diesel engine would be nice it is just too heavy for off road. The shocks would be modified and the winch would not fit. It would move it in to a higher cost bracket and out price for some of us.
Compared to my 13 raptor with the 6.2l it is a close run. But the new 8 speed with the granny low in 4w is dead on with the new 19 Raptors.
I will field questions as I learn and off road with this beast. I could not wait for the Tremor as my dealer did not know when it hit the lot. And since I am not on the Ford payroll, I thought I would explore new options. I hope to run a trail with some Raptors to get a personal side by side comparison on some of its features. (Even Baja for the heck of it)

View attachment 125955

I know this is old but how are you liking the Power wagon still? Considering making the switch myself.