Power Steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have two new knees one year apart... and another synthetic joint in the left foot. Knees were best mod I ever did for the loose nut behind the wheel. With background out of the way I've looked at these steps a few times. Always shying away do to the rock protection of the OE steps. I also have no interest in having something plugged into the OBD port all the time.

OP
OP
Nex

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Have two new knees one year apart... and another synthetic joint in the left foot. Knees were best mod I ever did for the loose nut behind the wheel. With background out of the way I've looked at these steps a few times. Always shying away do to the rock protection of the OE steps. I also have no interest in having something plugged into the OBD port all the time.

Being plugged into the OBDII port is giving me pause. Feel like that's where the battery drain is coming from that the grumpy stereo guy was talking about.

That's why I started this thread, to see if there is something better out there. Or if someone installed some steps from a F150 platinum.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Being plugged into the OBDII port is giving me pause. Feel like that's where the battery drain is coming from that the grumpy stereo guy was talking about.

That's why I started this thread, to see if there is something better out there. Or if someone installed some steps from a F150 platinum.
"Grumpy Stereo Guy" is a hit. Best thing to come out of this thread so far. :hidesbehindsofa:

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something else to consider....
I was told if you do go off road and scrape AMP steps you will be buying new ones....
Look at a set of high and tight ones at Rocky Road, IMO better choice. Also if a SCAB go to Westcott Designs. I prototyped a set with them.... Tell Jeff Westcott the owner Mark sent you.

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your money obviously, but there are a few things I’d rather spend the $1000 on that those steps would cost.

On a functional note, before the mudflaps, I’d hear rocks and whatever else hitting the factory steps quite often from the front tires. Definitely seems like a solid piece for rock blocking.

OP
OP
Nex

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Something else to consider....
I was told if you do go off road and scrape AMP steps you will be buying new ones....
Look at a set of high and tight ones at Rocky Road, IMO better choice. Also if a SCAB go to Westcott Designs. I prototyped a set with them.... Tell Jeff Westcott the owner Mark sent you.

I will take a peak at the rocky road set up. Although I was always a cookie dough guy myself.

Yeti Rojo

Reaction score
I have the AMPs on my truck. It was the 1st thing I did when I bought the truck because I'm 6'7" and I don't need a step to get into my truck. The stock running boards just got in the way and got my pants dirty. When I was researching solutions in '19 everyone I talked to said to just get the AMPs because they were better than anything else on the market.

When I had them installed, they put a switch on my dash that allows me to keep the driver's side in the up position, but the passenger side opens when one of the doors is open. This makes it easier for my wife (who is only 6') and kids to get in and out. The switch will allow the driver door to come down if someone more vertically challenged borrows my truck, and I think there's a setting that will keep them extended if I wanted to.

I could not be happier with this solution, and if I would do it again in without hesitation. Yes, there is a higher chance of rock chips hitting the doors, but I had some PPF installed on the lower panel of the doors. Yes, my truck is a pavement princess, but at this point after 25k miles the only scratches on the doors are from bike handles.

nealhoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I had amp steps on my GMC Sierra for 5 years without a single issue. I installed them correctly and would clean and lubricate 1-2 times a year. I personally wouldn’t put them on a Raptor but they did make getting in and out of my Sierra easy.