Post Mod Blues/Any regrets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
The other day, I drove my father in laws completely stock raptor. His Raptor and mine were purchased one week apart. We also have similar mileage. 10-11K and both are 2020's.

It's his daily and uses to drive out to the ranches where we grow crops. I also use mine as a daily but I've been off-road in mine and has been modified. Mine is Goosetuned, SVC Bumpstop kit & tie rods, Fox Racing Series LV, Icon Leaf Springs (more on that), Icon UCA's, Icon Wheels, BD lights through out, Roush CAI and some other mods that don't really matter when it comes to drivability.

Recently my trucks rear suspension started making clunking sound. When I accelerate and the weight shifts to the rear I hear a noise in the suspension. When pulling up to my kids school it makes noise, over the slightest bump and sounds like an old truck. It doesn't squeak, but when the body rolls it makes the clunking sound too as well as backing out of the driveway. On the highway its noise free. I've also checked my spare and it was loose. The exhaust tips were also a sagging a bit. I then cut the exhaust hangers and put them back on since SVC had removed them when installing the bump stop kit. The spare making noise was also resolved.
The exhaust hangers could've been it but that has now been eliminated. If I jump in the bed and make it bounce it makes a little noise but normal in my opinion. The noise is definitely in the rear. My bed empty this whole time. Nothing in the cab, I don't carry clutter. It's like new in there.
Which then leads me to the leaf springs. I'm checking them and I find the clamps that hold the pack together are a bit loose. Tighten all of those down. I've also sprayed them down with fluid film since I got them to keep them from rusting. At the moment I've called the shop that installed them and they're going to schedule me in to have them looked at. I'm pretty sure it's the leaf springs.
Then my BD behind the grill light bar blows the fuses for no reason.
These are all issues I've never had and it's a still a new truck. I should've kept it stock and if I get some weird noises, it goes to the dealer for them to figure out (crossed fingers). Now I have headaches that I have to spend too much time to resolve and possibly cost me money.
The point of this long rant is. If I ever get another Raptor, I'm keeping it stock and for all of those reading is, some mods don't always make the truck better.
Driving the stock raptor made me think, what the heck was I thinking. It was so nice and quiet. Mine sounds like **** now. Mine does handle better and the Goose tune really stands out, but I just hate vehicles that make strange noises. It's taking the enjoyment out of the vehicle and I don't even want to drive it. It's taking time away from family on the weekends because I "need to mess with it" and try to figure out the issues. Worst of all it's all of my doing. Not Fords. Am I alone here or has anyone ever had regrets when it came to modding there vehicles.

Last edited:

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure it helps you any but the clunking in the rear with the Icon leaf springs is not uncommon. Some people seem to have better experience with Deavers but some still have clunking there too. But of course, nothing like blowing 1500 bucks on springs twice :)

OP
OP
OEMPlus Raptor

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
Not sure it helps you any but the clunking in the rear with the Icon leaf springs is not uncommon. Some people seem to have better experience with Deavers but some still have clunking there too. But of course, nothing like blowing 1500 bucks on springs twice :)
I know it has to be them, they were fine at first. I just noticed from my last run about 3 weeks ago they got really loud. If I do leaf springs again they will be the stock ones. Not aftermarket.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The leafs on these trucks even in OEM form
Are truly a wear item it seems that will have to be replaced or addressed @ some point if you keep it long term. The guys @ raptor assault say they replace em on all those demos a couple times over their lives

I’m just gonna have a spring shop re-arch em & add a leaf when the time comes rather than messing w/ aftermarket rusty *** icon or deavers….I guarantee if they were truly a good long term solution then Ford wouldn’t have gone to coil springs on the gen3

I don’t regret any mods but I actually returned the icon front springs I bought in anticipation of adding deavers b/c I realized I WOULD have regretted it. If I keep my ‘20 long enough to need a shock rebuild then I’ll add Geiser front springs & add a leaf/re-arch the rear. Leave rest of the suspension stock, add a lil ride height keep a lil rake & prevent some of the squat in rear under load. Plus….0.0% chance dealer notices extra leaf on stock springs, 1000% chance they notice aftermarket leafs/icon A-arms etc

Upside is- you can always de-mod & sell
Parts + it seems like just as many prospective buyers want modded trucks as stock ones on the resale market anyhow

Swaddict

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you upgrade the shackles? I used the RPG drop shackles with the grease fittings and have never had any noises from my Icons.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve experienced this on many vehicles. I haven’t modded anything on my truck other than an intake and Accessport. I don’t plan to either. It’s basically a commuter for me so its current capability is 1000x what I need anyway.

I also was prudent enough with my CTSV to not add headers until it wasn’t my daily anymore.

Lessons learned over the last 25 years…

OP
OP
OEMPlus Raptor

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
The leafs on these trucks even in OEM form
Are truly a wear item it seems that will have to be replaced or addressed @ some point if you keep it long term. The guys @ raptor assault say they replace em on all those demos a couple times over their lives

I’m just gonna have a spring shop re-arch em & add a leaf when the time comes rather than messing w/ aftermarket rusty *** icon or deavers….I guarantee if they were truly a good long term solution then Ford wouldn’t have gone to coil springs on the gen3

I don’t regret any mods but I actually returned the icon front springs I bought in anticipation of adding deavers b/c I realized I WOULD have regretted it. If I keep my ‘20 long enough to need a shock rebuild then I’ll add Geiser front springs & add a leaf/re-arch the rear. Leave rest of the suspension stock, add a lil ride height keep a lil rake & prevent some of the squat in rear under load. Plus….0.0% chance dealer notices extra leaf on stock springs, 1000% chance they notice aftermarket leafs/icon A-arms etc

Upside is- you can always de-mod & sell
Parts + it seems like just as many prospective buyers want modded trucks as stock ones on the resale market anyhow
I'm keeping my truck for a while, it's paid off and have no intents on getting Gen 3 at the moment. I realize the oem leafs are not the best, but I had most of my warranty left to address any unforeseen issues. Now I'm stuck with Icon's that make a crap load of noise. I'm going to the Off Road Expo in a couple of weeks. Icon has a booth there. I'm stopping by and it's not to see there new latest and greatest.
I like the idea of re-arching the stock leafs. I still have my flattened oem leafs from my first run.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve experienced this on many vehicles. I haven’t modded anything on my truck other than an intake and Accessport. I don’t plan to either. It’s basically a commuter for me so its current capability is 1000x what I need anyway.

I also was prudent enough with my CTSV to not add headers until it wasn’t my daily anymore.

Lessons learned over the last 25 years…
Jesus I applied this to the Rappy for most part (appearance mods & tune) my damn C5Z on other hand has been in scattered pieces 3x & back together over the last 2.5 years pulled engine/rebuilt suspension/blower etc etc….at that point you become married to the damn thing lol! I’m now at the point where my secondary fuel pump (pure methanol) is a “weae item” every 2-3 years lol

Sometimes keeping it stock is the way to go, esp w/ a daily!

Jonesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my decades of pickup ownership incredibly rarely, if ever, has aftermarket improved my ride. Maybe Baja lights or a cool topper. Most of the rest is marketing, not all, but most.