Post Mod Blues/Any regrets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasAggie94

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, thought I would add my two cents to this discussion as I too debated for months on if I wanted to do mods and if so, what mods. Even doubt myself sometimes after reading post like these but when it was all said and done I did mod with a set of principles in my mind made sense as well as some influence from this forum and the Raptor Assault Course.

If there is one thing that was burned in my brain besides just how bad *** the Raptor is off the showroom floor is that the OEM springs was the #1 complaint by most of the Raptor Assault Course Team. The existing bump stops go hand-in-hand with that part of the suspension. So, springs and bump stop were on my list.

My next objective to to be able to run 35" with zero concern for rubbing. I had no desire to modify the truck for anything bigger. As cool as 37s look, I was not about to buy new fenders or have to cut/bend change the insides of the front fender wells.

Besides not cutting/trimming/bending as a rule for modifications, I wanted to avoid doing things that could potentially put me at odds with my local dealers in the event something broke while under warranty.

So, strictly talking non-cosmetic modifications, I went with a set of the 3.0 Fox Racing Shock Live Valves, Camburg Bump Stop Kit, Deaver +3HD Springs, Icon UCAs. I could be living a fantasy but I think these modifications are pretty "safe" from dealer scrutiny. I could see that the UCAs possibly being the biggest point of contention from the dealer but as far as the FOX 3.0s go, Ford Performance actually sells them for the early GEN 2 trucks so I think it would be hard to make an argument there against that mod. The bump stop does nothing to existing geometry and simply absorbs energy exponentially better than the OEM bump stop.

I have avoided any tuning, intake or cooling modifications because I can see a dealer nit picking what the tune might of done or how the aftermarket intercooler (even though much better than OEM) could somehow not be cooling good enough. Bottom line, I don't want to lose the argument when it comes to fixing the engine or transmission.

The remainder of my modifications are cosmetic: BuiltRight bed panels, seat release, dash mount, ADD Pro Bolt On Bumper, various Rigid Lights in the bumper and pillars, 454 Motorsports Chase Rack, Methods, Toyo AT3.
Future mods: Radio and mount from PCI, GJ Motorsports 3rd Brake light w/ integrated chase lights/antenna mount and Swarfworks flag whip, driver door handle replacement (no key hole) and that's about it.

Because of the investment made thus far and the goal of keeping this truck for 7-10 years I also purchased the Ford ESP from Flood Ford. Thanks to the Forum I saved a bundle on that.

Ultimately, I guess the dealer could say anything they wanted and stick it to me because I didn't wash my truck enough or I put a different tire on than the OEM brand but hopefully common sense would prevail on what mods I did and whether or not they impacted the faulty part/mechanism.

Want to add a BIG thank you to Jason and the team @texasmotorworx in Dallas, TX and Helio M. @keepitdirty_offroad for helping me build my dream truck and answering a ton of questions.

Attachments

• JW ADD Photo.jpg
    JW ADD Photo.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Raptor Mods (21JUN21) Reduced.jpeg
    Raptor Mods (21JUN21) Reduced.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 45
  • thumbnail_IMG_1894.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1894.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
OEMPlus Raptor

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
Icon are plastic pads if you want good lubricant try 3 in 1 garage door spray oil . Sprays on wet but then dries and will not attract dirt. I used on my old deavers. I since switched to icons leafs
Icon are plastic pads if you want good lubricant try 3 in 1 garage door spray oil . Sprays on wet but then dries and will not attract dirt. I used on my old deavers. I since switched to icons leafs on gen1 and have no noises.

on gen1 and have no noises.
I have some of that stuff already. I'll try it, but first I have the shop that installed taking a look on the 14th. Going to make sure nothing has come loose and checking the bushings.

OP
OP
OEMPlus Raptor

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
Forget the stock springs as better. Seriously. I had the dealer replace my rear springs after they were embarrassing loud and squeaking, after that ordeal they now squeak again, I drive it relatively hard on rough dirt roads. It’s inevitable IMO at this point. Clean em off and spray them with some lube. Goosetune has caused 0 issues for me. My BD lights in the fog position don’t blow fuses, that sounds very frustrating sorry. I went to a cooler thermostat and that throws a code for taking too long to get up to temp but every time I check it it’s the same thing so I’m not worried about that, cooler is better from what I understand.

If I kept it stock I was trading it in, I was massively unhappy with stock.

Good luck sir, I hope this gets fixed to your liking.
Same here, the noises came after I started taking it to the desert. Cleaned them really well recently and it helped. I have an appointment this month, shop owner is very reputable and will be taking a look for me. Goosetune has been great for me as well. I made some changes to my wiring for my light bar that I hope corrects the issue. (Fingers crossed) still working. The rest of my BD lights are working as they should with no fuses blowing. Just the grill light.

OP
OP
OEMPlus Raptor

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
Well, thought I would add my two cents to this discussion as I too debated for months on if I wanted to do mods and if so, what mods. Even doubt myself sometimes after reading post like these but when it was all said and done I did mod with a set of principles in my mind made sense as well as some influence from this forum and the Raptor Assault Course.

If there is one thing that was burned in my brain besides just how bad *** the Raptor is off the showroom floor is that the OEM springs was the #1 complaint by most of the Raptor Assault Course Team. The existing bump stops go hand-in-hand with that part of the suspension. So, springs and bump stop were on my list.

My next objective to to be able to run 35" with zero concern for rubbing. I had no desire to modify the truck for anything bigger. As cool as 37s look, I was not about to buy new fenders or have to cut/bend change the insides of the front fender wells.

Besides not cutting/trimming/bending as a rule for modifications, I wanted to avoid doing things that could potentially put me at odds with my local dealers in the event something broke while under warranty.

So, strictly talking non-cosmetic modifications, I went with a set of the 3.0 Fox Racing Shock Live Valves, Camburg Bump Stop Kit, Deaver +3HD Springs, Icon UCAs. I could be living a fantasy but I think these modifications are pretty "safe" from dealer scrutiny. I could see that the UCAs possibly being the biggest point of contention from the dealer but as far as the FOX 3.0s go, Ford Performance actually sells them for the early GEN 2 trucks so I think it would be hard to make an argument there against that mod. The bump stop does nothing to existing geometry and simply absorbs energy exponentially better than the OEM bump stop.

I have avoided any tuning, intake or cooling modifications because I can see a dealer nit picking what the tune might of done or how the aftermarket intercooler (even though much better than OEM) could somehow not be cooling good enough. Bottom line, I don't want to lose the argument when it comes to fixing the engine or transmission.

The remainder of my modifications are cosmetic: BuiltRight bed panels, seat release, dash mount, ADD Pro Bolt On Bumper, various Rigid Lights in the bumper and pillars, 454 Motorsports Chase Rack, Methods, Toyo AT3.
Future mods: Radio and mount from PCI, GJ Motorsports 3rd Brake light w/ integrated chase lights/antenna mount and Swarfworks flag whip, driver door handle replacement (no key hole) and that's about it.

Because of the investment made thus far and the goal of keeping this truck for 7-10 years I also purchased the Ford ESP from Flood Ford. Thanks to the Forum I saved a bundle on that.

Ultimately, I guess the dealer could say anything they wanted and stick it to me because I didn't wash my truck enough or I put a different tire on than the OEM brand but hopefully common sense would prevail on what mods I did and whether or not they impacted the faulty part/mechanism.

Want to add a BIG thank you to Jason and the team @texasmotorworx in Dallas, TX and Helio M. @keepitdirty_offroad for helping me build my dream truck and answering a ton of questions.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Most of your mods are right along with mine with the exception of the tune. My CAI is more for aesthetics, but is made by Roush and I went with that because it was CARB legal and the dealer sells it.

My tune has been flawless and I'll admit your concerns ran through my mind as well.

I also plan on buying the FLOOD ESP since my kids will be going to college soon, funds will be limited and won't be able to just upgrade to the latest and greatest. My wife just gave me the pink slip to my truck after we just paid it off. She said "take care of it, because it'll be awhile before you see another one". I'm sure many can relate.

Your future mods are exactly what I have left to do on mine.

Thanks again for sharing.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Great looking rig man! Love the stance! The 3.0's, UCA's, and rear leafs are on my "to do" list, as well with the Fox bumpstop kit.
WHOOP to the fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '94!

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm telling you driving a completely stock Raptor (father in laws) and his felt new still. Where mine feels like it's been through some trails. Which it has. I did get it to enjoy it, but it's still fairly new and I like to take care of my vehicles. I should've just left it stock (suspension) and let it do what the Ford engineers thought was a good balance between off-road capable and everyday truck.
My goosetune has been flawless. Stage 1 and I don't intend on doing anything more there. The throttle response is very good and the Cobb trans tune is very smooth. No complaints, Live Valve Racing Series gave me the leveled look I wanted without spacers or stuff like that.
I’m with you here. I don’t think this truck needs anything but a Goosetune. All one has is a stage 2 from Goose (FMIC, boost pipes, BOV, CAI) and the TCM. I couldn’t be happier. The suspension, stock lights, brakes, etc. are all ok for me.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
icons definetely improved my ride and they do make nose ( my stock ones squeaked worse) it just is what it is is with these trucks until you upgrade to gen 3 with coils. I have upgraded shackles too and they can help quiet it down when lubricated but its not a permanent fix