Portable Air Compressors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great info. Can anyone speak to why this idea (powered and mechanical) is a better idea than a CO2 or N2 tank?

I still haven't researched it any further but my thought was to use two 80 cu. ft. scuba tanks somehow mounted in the bed with a whip to fill tires. It has already been stated, the only drawback would be having to fill the tanks up after usage.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, I will add there's another drawback and that's having two high pressure tanks in your vehicle. There is a greater safety risk with those tanks than with a compressor :)

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your only hazard would be if the valves were lopped off turning any high pressure cylinder into a projectile. If properly secured with braces/brackets I would not see any hazard unless you had a violent accident where the vehicle rolled. I have respect for tanks and understand the hazards they present to a user and definitely understand what you are saying Dan. If the user is negligent they certainly can pose as a serious hazard.

On the topic of tanks or high pressure containers, I wonder how an air compressor tank would handle an automobile accident. It has to be under pressure though I do not know how much. If it is only 300psi then there should not be a big problem.

TehKing

I'll stuff you all in the crust!
Reaction score
I've notice that all these are electrical.

Is there any interest in hydraulic or belt powered compressors, or are they more for general heavy duty applications?

:cool:

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking about a 10 or maybe 20lb PowerTank. Nothing more than that. So I think that'd be pretty safe, even in an accident... hell they'd be far more safe than the fuel cans we all plan to carry :doh:

And fillup isn't a huge worry for me, as we regularly run to our welding supply to fill up our welding tanks. I could easily throw the PowerTank on the back of the truck.

Anyone know how many tire fill ups (say from 10psi to 44psi in our 35" tires) a 10lb tank is good for? A 20lb tank? I know nothing of these things :(

Not sure on the hydraulics TK. If its anything like a winch though, hydraulics are definitely preferred however are also far more expensive.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I've notice that all these are electrical.

Is there any interest in hydraulic or belt powered compressors, or are they more for general heavy duty applications?

:cool:

Dan posted up some stuff about a belt driven unit. They are much more expensive, but you can run anything you can think of with one of them as long as you have an appropriate sized tank (multiple air tools, die grinders and other air hungry tools). Take a look at post #4.

Raptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine driven are great for the rockcrawler that is going to break his rig and fix it on the trail. I know guys who have welders,tool boxes, spare parts all built into thier roll cages bumpers ect. For tire refills electric pumps are a fine way to go.

KeithS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an ExtremeAire compressor to carry in my Raptor. It's nothing like the engine driven Kilby that I had on my Jeep, but for a portable electric unit it performs well (2.6cfm @ 100psi). Product : Extreme Outback

p1210015.jpg

p1210016.jpg

p1210017.jpg

I've only used it three times so far, but have had no problems. I store it in a box in the bed of the truck.

xtcbct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where to find the Currie air compressor described in this article? Its the only one listed at mil spec but I can't find it for sale anywhere.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed the Currie for sale anywhere, but I've been using the VIAIR 450P that ADD sent me for about a year and a half and the thing is a champ, definitely meets my needs.