Planning off road routes / GPS HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys
I have a garmin GPS. I downloaded Basecamp.
I only see main roads in Basecamp. I want to plan off road routes so that I can then load to the gps. Do I need to download/purchase another map to see more trails/roads? Or should I just plan all this in google earth and avoid Basecamp? How do these guys plan “raptor run” routes? I guess it would be the same as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does your gps allow you to upload maps as a kml or gpx (or similiar) file? if you can, then use google earth and draw out your maps and save the file to a micro sd card and upload it.

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the app Gaia GPS. It works on apple car play if you have a gen 2. You can import gpx maps or make your own on your computer. I got the premium version but I’d get at least the one where you have offline mode. Lots of times you’re not going to have cell service.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Basecamp can download topo maps from Garmin. You can also download satellite maps, but only so many. You have to download a map for the area you are going to. I used this several years ago, but now I use Gaia on a Ipad.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really - I've always relied on analogue and a compass - never had a problem. You should have both - Electronics die at the most inconvenient times.

OP
OP
W
Reaction score
does your gps allow you to upload maps as a kml or gpx (or similiar) file? if you can, then use google earth and draw out your maps and save the file to a micro sd card and upload it.
Yes I think so - I have a garmin 64st. I have used this for the past 2 years on my dirt bike. Essentially just to track my ride so I can get back to camp if I get lost(I do lots of off road trail riding ).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk