Placing order out of state and having it shipped to your local dealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryed

Reaction score
fly to the state and drive it home for a great experience . Have done this twice and have never regretted it
This. Not that I have tried ordering from one dealer and shipping to another. But what's in it for the receiving dealership? I did a fly and drive once and it was a great experience. Got picked up at the airport, signed some papers, and then a road trip in my new truck. I'd do it again if I had to. Luckily I found a local dealer that ordered me a 22 @ MSRP.

RaptorCDH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you can use intercity or reliable…don’t bother shipping. The auto transport business is the Wild West with brokers finding the lowest bidder to pick up your truck…a raptor is not easy to move due to size (width) and most trailers cannot safely accommodate these trucks.(enclosed). Open shipping is a crap shoot…I spent $2400 shipping mine from Texas to California…the process sucked and I got a dirty truck with a small crease and scratch that the transport company claims is impossible…I guess I should play the lottery because impossible has happened.
My advise skip shipping and buy a truck close enough to drive yourself home.

RdW

Reaction score
Yes you can do it. You need to know the dealer it is being delivered to and that dealers ID # at the time of order. I am doing it with mine. The recieving dealer gets paid by Ford to PDI the truck. Some dealers charge extra (500 at one store) and some will call it a courtesy delivery and not charge. I found one local that was cool and free.

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently tried to have my 35 truck courtesy delivered to a dealer in Ca. The CA dealership will accept the delivery for an $350 paid by the ordering dealership. Orange county stealerships wanted $1k to accept it.

Here's the kicker, once I told my dealer in TX about the courtesy delivery, they were perfectly fine with it. That is until Ford (supposedly) told them they would be losing the sale since the receiving dealership would be doing the license and registration paperwork. Basically the ordering dealership would lose the sell in the process of the courtesy delivery so, of course, the ordering dealership rejected the courtesy delivery. Looks like i'll be flying out to get it or ship it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even though it's plausible, the risk versus reward is not worth it. Order it where you are picking it up and drive it back. Shipping companies have a bad rap these days for a reason.