Place a call, AA shows connected, but Sync switches to radio audio...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdflynn1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Searched for this issue and found other issues people are experiencing with Sync and AA, but not mine specifically (apologies if my searching wasnt exhaustive).

So, I am fully up-to-date with Sync on my '21 Gen3. Full screen AA and all of that.

I have recently noticed a repeated pattern.

1) Start car and drive for how ever long
2) use the AA screen to make a phone call or use my phone to make a phone call
3) Sync screen shows the call connected and the person on other line always reports they answered but didnt hear me
4) While Sync continues to show the call as connected, it decides to pump the radio audio through the speakers and not the bluetooth call that is connected
5) I can repeat this anywhere between 2-5 times, and it eventually works correctly

Anyone ever experience this/or are currently experiencing this with latest updates?

Thanks in advance as always!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The issue may be with your device, always start with the outside variable. Pair a known good (verified to function properly with Sync 4) device and re-evaluate.

OP
OP
gdflynn1

gdflynn1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue may be with your device, always start with the outside variable. Pair a known good (verified to function properly with Sync 4) device and re-evaluate.
Thanks @FordTechOne - that will be my next step.

What had me leaning Sync as root cause is a) issue appears to have started after recent Sync updates were applied and b) all inbound calls work fine. But i know software issues and troubleshooting especially with 2 devices involved takes time.

I will post back here so we have troubleshooting documented in case anyone has same issue.

OP
OP
gdflynn1

gdflynn1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested to see what you find as I have the same issue
I have been able to determine (I think) that it's an AA issue. It doesn't seem to occur with the native Sync calling software. Only when AA turns on and manages the calls. Still trying to troubleshoot. So many variables. Annoying when it happens for sure.

DaveInFL

Reaction score
Same issue. 2022 Raptor, Galaxy S20 + 5G.....all software up to date. I've noticed that it happens more often when leaving house or office when previously connected to WiFi. First several calls connect, neither person can hear the other. If they call back or I try a third time, all is normal. Phone pairs fine and works correctly on three other non-Ford vehicles.

OP
OP
gdflynn1

gdflynn1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly my issue as you described. Noticed if I make call with native Ford Bluetooth connectivity BEFORE AA connects, all good.

So, I assume it's an AA bug.

So annoying

OP
OP
gdflynn1

gdflynn1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having the same issue here too, using pixel 7 pro
Pixel 7 Pro here as well. Received the September Android update, hoping it fixes it, highly doubt it will.

Fairly sure its an AA bug, since the native Bluetooth with Sync works and I never experience this problem when not connecting to AA.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just started noticing this on mine as well. I am using an Iphone 11. Don't remember if it happened while selecting the call on the phone or using Carplay and voice commands. When it does show up on my car screen and the radio kicks on, the radio starts playing really loud. I think the radio starts playing at the volume level the phone is at while on a call. The phone volume through the car speakers needs to be much louder than the radio playing through the speakers.
As a side note, I have never received any OTA updates for my truck in the 2 years I have had it.