Phoenix Android Audio retains Sync 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of what I’m seeing I believe is related to user installation errors.

There aren’t any directions and the installation is in many respects... done via intuition.

The above issue sounds like connectors aren’t properly pushed together.

The other guy with the navigation problems sounds like the satellite antennae isn’t properly connected.

To install:

Remove old
Sync screen. Transfer from the old
Screen to the new screen all of the hardware including part of the sync brain. Control board, knobs. There is a new supplied screen cable you have to use.

When reinstalling there is a T harness. Pull the CD player out. Unplug it. Plug in the T harness to it. Plug the old harnesses into the new T harness tails. Take the other end of the T harness and plug them into the unit. Plug in the in dash speaker. You need it for the people who didn’t. Plug in the SUPPLIED satellite antenna to the unit. Plug the FACTORY satellite antenna back into the sync unit. So there are two satellite antenna. Plug in the Factory usb cables BACK into the sync brain. Plug the UNIT USB CABLES into the unit via harness and route to the glove box.

A lot of the errors I’m seeing are folks not realizing that aside from the T harness, every single stock connection has to be reconnected in addition to the new connections that are made to the unit. Everything has to be tight as well.

Hope some of this info helps.

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a question saw a few posts where cam may not turn on with the stock button. I normally hit my cam button when pulling in to a parking slip to see how close I am (front bumper) to another car. With this unit is there a prob with that? Or have I just read things incorrectly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shayne

Reaction score
Guy is correct....no included directions and I did not use the provided GPS antenna, I just connected the unit to my existing antenna...explains that issue. Directions and/or a YouTube video that actually has someone talking through the installation and post-installation setup would be incredibly beneficial.

I also didn't use the provided microphone cable. Again, without instructions, not sure if that is required either.

Can anyone tell me how to route the USB cables to the glove compartment or point me to a tutorial? I know - probably a stupid question - but I really have no clue.

One day in - and without the AT&T Harman Spark - I like what I am getting for the money. To be transparent, I haven't had time to test all of the original functions yet - heated/cooled seats, cameras, etc - and I am not yet sure where to find everything within the new system, like my heated steering wheel, but I can accept some trade-offs for more functionality in the end. More importantly...if I can install this system and make it work...anyone can...

It is a major improvement aesthetically...and will only get better when I figure out how to change the wallpaper and boot screen images!

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Open your glove box, with the unit pulled out... locate a small pass thru inside the dash directly behind it and to the right. You’ll pass the USB cable, from the glove box, unit side plug forward, thru the small hole (about 2 inches or so) and right up behind the unit. It’s pretty easy.

You want to use the pass thru as it won’t affect the opening and closing of the glove box.

The GPS antennae for the unit can be paced inside the dash, directly behind the unit. There is a metal crossmember that runs across the dash. You can zip tie it right to that and the signal is strong. Be wary to keep the gps antenna just slightly below the top right of the crossmember. That’s where the dash tray sits.

You do not need to use the supplied microphone. That’s optional - and I wouldn’t bother. With the latest firmware, you’re going to stick with the sync Bluetooth for calls and streaming anyway and it works seamlessly with the other functions of the tablet. But if you do want to use the built in blue tooth... there is a tiny mic in the front of the unit.

Guy is correct....no included directions and I did not use the provided GPS antenna, I just connected the unit to my existing antenna...explains that issue. Directions and/or a YouTube video that actually has someone talking through the installation and post-installation setup would be incredibly beneficial.

I also didn't use the provided microphone cable. Again, without instructions, not sure if that is required either.

Can anyone tell me how to route the USB cables to the glove compartment or point me to a tutorial? I know - probably a stupid question - but I really have no clue.

One day in - and without the AT&T Harman Spark - I like what I am getting for the money. To be transparent, I haven't had time to test all of the original functions yet - heated/cooled seats, cameras, etc - and I am not yet sure where to find everything within the new system, like my heated steering wheel, but I can accept some trade-offs for more functionality in the end. More importantly...if I can install this system and make it work...anyone can...

It is a major improvement aesthetically...and will only get better when I figure out how to change the wallpaper and boot screen images!

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know... I almost want to make an install video for you guys. I wish I had more time or I would.

I’ll be honest, Phoenix actually chatted with me via what’s app for a few questions I had during installation. So I had some additional help. They’ve since gone MIA.

Some of your firmware updates were based on my feedback/requests. The one item I couldn’t get out of them is for the camera button to fully override and enable the camera full screen in any mode. Currently it only kicks on during reverse. Otherwise to use the birds eye for say pulling forward into a parking spot... you have to have sync open.

They acknowledge it’s possible but they couldn’t find a 360 truck with camera button in China to capture the can bus data to enable it.

I don’t know that we will see any more updates any time soon. I think they are overwhelmed with orders across their product lines and have a paucity of help.

Shayne

Reaction score
Guy -

Really appreciate all of your guidance and assistance....Phoenix owes you some royalties! I am planning to affix the provided GPS antenna, run the USB cables into the glove box, install the software updates and adjust the screen refresh rate today. Time permitting, I may even make it over to AT&T. Ohhhh...found the heated steering wheel button on the way to church this morning...it was on the SYNC 3 screen!

datnut

Reaction score
Mine arrived yesterday. After installing my SYNC 3 navigation is off it looks like the compass is almost 180 degrees off (shows South when pointing North). I did not see a setting to adjust this; am I missing something, because I don't want to have to drive in reverse for Sync navigation to work properly? Thx

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard reset your sync 3. Report back

:)

Mine arrived yesterday. After installing my SYNC 3 navigation is off it looks like the compass is almost 180 degrees off (shows South when pointing North). I did not see a setting to adjust this; am I missing something, because I don't want to have to drive in reverse for Sync navigation to work properly? Thx

Shayne

Reaction score
Guy -

Do you need to mount the provided speaker or will Google Maps and Waze communicate through the built in system?