Can/How do you test a Raptor 4x4 Switch/Terrain Management Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drumguy999

Reaction score
Hey all,

I posted about this issue some time ago but I've finally started diving in and getting further along. I have 4A available, but I cannot get into 4H or 4L. Whenever I turn the switch to either of those 2 modes, i hear a clicking (relay?), but then it throws a wrench.

I've got all of the TCCM/Shift Motor/Wiring diagnostic procedures, but they call out the MSS (Mode select switch) and give out the required resistance for each mode. The problem is, I don't think the raptors have the MSS, but instead have a 4x4 Switch Module.

I have begun to suspect the switch module might be bad, but I do not know how to test it. (The dealer CLAIMED to have used a new motor & TCCM without changing results) Does anyone have any input on this?

THanks!

1716681790512.png

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You should have a code in one of the 30 computers on the truck.

Without a code to lead to a starting point you are shooting in the dark.
Without a light.

Remember when truck came with a 4x4 lever and you didn’t have to an actuator? :-/

OP
OP
D

Drumguy999

Reaction score
nothing on a standard scan tool, and my brother is borrowing my laptop, so i haven't been able to even attempt forscan as of yet.

was hoping there was a way to test the switch without any fancy equipment lol.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
nothing on a standard scan tool, and my brother is borrowing my laptop, so i haven't been able to even attempt forscan as of yet.

was hoping there was a way to test the switch without any fancy equipment lol.
Most switches these days are not actual switches but resistor blocks. Each position of the switch is a different resistance.
Voltage reference in, different voltage returned for each position.
Cruise control switches have been this way for at least 50 years.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of them now have their own microprocessor and data output. Uses less electricity than dumping current through resistors. Good luck testing those.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A lot of them now have their own microprocessor and data output. Uses less electricity than dumping current through resistors. Good luck testing those.
His wiring diagram shows resistors for each switch position (that is the Ford diagram). They used to publish resistance values 30 years ago, but it seems they do not anymore.
That is because "manual" testing of the switch is obsolete, with data monitoring software, you monitor switch selection PID through the control module and if a position doesn't match then replace the switch, if none of them match then suspect wiring.