PCI Radio Install Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I have seen other place the head unit in the sunglass holder. Not sure if the Gen 3 has it or if only on models with a heated steering wheel, because we are cool like that.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen other place the head unit in the sunglass holder. Not sure if the Gen 3 has it or if only on models with a heated steering wheel, because we are cool like that.
Yea..seen that too.. and yes.. gen 3's have the sunglasses holders.. just don't have the cupholder lights any more!

going to get a faceplate model and either mount on top of infotainment center or the new and improved 'waste-o-space' above the glove box.. be perfect for the radio.. hopefully be less work than tearing dash/console apart to do your mount... which I almost did few years ago..

but with that said, you've gone wild on yours...soooo You were required to take it apart!

also, really dig the avatar.. the guvnna is the best! and a beast! ha

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you @Nex .. thought I remembered that one.. OK..

anyone here do it with the Gen 3 space above the glove box?

I really like the install that @Nex did here but now have the alt space..
I have this radio in my Gen3. Mounted the brains of it behind the rear seat like Nex. The radio faceplate is integrated into the hand mic. Extremely happy with it.

Have 2 magnetic mounts. 1 is a scoche magnetic plate that mounts to the side of the center console by the drivers right knee. This keeps it accessible but out of the way for daily driving. Second mount is a magnetic mic mount on the built right dash base. This is used when off-roading and really using the radio so I can see the display.

Best part about the install is nothing is permanent. Didn’t have to drill a single hole in anything or have to pull the dash apart at all.

Last edited:

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a couple pictures. I’ll try to take some better ones soon.

Attachments

• F64A7044-5BD9-49F9-A8B3-3E0CC041FC18.jpeg
    F64A7044-5BD9-49F9-A8B3-3E0CC041FC18.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 48
  • 71F5205D-0CE9-4F24-841C-AA907E2CBF97.jpeg
    71F5205D-0CE9-4F24-841C-AA907E2CBF97.jpeg
    190 KB · Views: 48

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a couple pictures. I’ll try to take some better ones soon.
WOW.. that is a nice radio.. but little out of my price range being over 3200 bucks! geezz..
I've seen that before and those radios are too much for my needs at the moment..

wish the ICOM i already have would separate the face.. I like it because it came programmed with the most used freqs.. at least in baja ..

but man.. if I had FU money.. that kenwood would be in already! lol.. thanks for the pics tho..
still want to see how you mounted the brain..did you use a built right in back too?

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@highway420 I have also seen the faceplate mounted on a Builtrite dash mount. In this area.

View attachment 391575
Yea.. just put mine in..man. the 22's are a little more of a PIA to do for sure..but looks good.
thinking of putting face up there too, but then i can't put the lowrance up there.. using an ipad for nav currently and would like to get something a little more applicable to going fast and 'seeing' upcoming marked hazards..

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW.. that is a nice radio.. but little out of my price range being over 3200 bucks! geezz..
I've seen that before and those radios are too much for my needs at the moment..

wish the ICOM i already have would separate the face.. I like it because it came programmed with the most used freqs.. at least in baja ..

but man.. if I had FU money.. that kenwood would be in already! lol.. thanks for the pics tho..
still want to see how you mounted the brain..did you use a built right in back too?
I got the radio a few years back during a Black Friday sale, actually a year before I even got the truck. Pretty sure I paid about half of the current price. Seems Covid inflation has hit everything. Still really expensive and more radio than i need but I justified it by not having to cut anything or take apart anything. I could pull the entire radio out on about 20 minutes and you would never know it was there.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Yea.. just put mine in..man. the 22's are a little more of a PIA to do for sure..but looks good.
thinking of putting face up there too, but then i can't put the lowrance up there.. using an ipad for nav currently and would like to get something a little more applicable to going fast and 'seeing' upcoming marked hazards..

Hear you there. Looking at a Lowrance or Garmin for myself.

After you get your radio, grab a few beers and sit in your truck. Spend time in the driver seat and put the head unit in multiple places. See what feels good for you, placement wise. Then go from there.

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a basic ICOM 2300 and really dreading doing the install. Why? Because I don’t know where I want to mount it. I’m not a fan of it sitting on top of the dash. My first thoughts were to mount it into the center console since it’s a big void for me.