P0741: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last weekend I had the truck loaded up and heading out of Vegas to Big Bear. We were heading up Mountain Pass (west of Stateline) for those who are familiar and started to notice the TC lock and unlock. I was about to select tow/haul mode like I often do in the hills when I saw the trans temp start to climb, and I got the wrench symbol on the dash. The transmission temp never hit the yellow but got pretty warm. Pulled over to let it cool down, did a visual on the transmission and trans fluid levels. All good.

Pulled out the scanner, and got this code P0741: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit → Performance or Stuck Off

So, I left it in tow/haul, and turned off 6th gear just in case there was an issue with that circuit, and drove the rest of the way to Big Bear, which was a couple hundred miles. Everything was fine. The trans did get warm going up the steep climb into Big Bear, but never out of the normal range on the gauge. Actual temp at the hottest point in that climb was 235, but it is a very steep climb and it was 90+ degrees outside.

Drove it all the way home, and kept an eye on it. Did fine. I plan to drain and fill the trans fluid soon, but wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Thanks,
Sean

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 F150 started doing this around 115k miles. Eventually the TC wouldn't stay locked. Its typically an issue with the valve body wearing (specifically the piston bore that controls the TC lock up circuit). We put a used low mileage trans in it and it was good to go. A valve body is about $1200, but I found the used trans with 10k miles for $1500 on Ebay, which is why I went that route.

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke with a trusted local Ford transmission pro that I've used before, and let him know what happened. Also told him I'm planning to add the larger trans cooler when I change the fluid soon. He thinks that while it may be the valve body or TC solenoid if it's mechanical, keeping it cooler will go a long way toward preventing the issue from happening again for quite a while. Also indicated it could have been a computer adjustment based on load and heat that didn't process correctly and threw things out of wack. Who knows. Fingers crossed!

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could try a KAM reset. On your tuner , trans will relearn pressures and shifts. I did it to mine and if i had'nt of just reset it i would thought my trans took a shit , takes about 25 miles city driving stop and go for everything to relearn. It will give flared shifts as in engine rev then shift . You can feel it getting better as you drive it . Bit scary when you first take off driving it. I run Redline D6 trans fluid

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could try a KAM reset. On your tuner , trans will relearn pressures and shifts. I did it to mine and if i had'nt of just reset it i would thought my trans took a shit , takes about 25 miles city driving stop and go for everything to relearn. It will give flared shifts as in engine rev then shift . You can feel it getting better as you drive it . Bit scary when you first take off driving it. I run Redline D6 trans fluid

I'm going to have the battery disconnected for a while when I work on the trans cooler and fluid change. That should reset everything. A reset is a good idea.