Old Man Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to stabilize something like that because its so heavy, not sure what is rattling, but as funny as it sounds, I have found bungee cords to be great at holding things together. If you bungeed the tires together with some heavy duty bungees it might help. Unless its the rack that is moving/rattling.
Gotcha. What I mean was the tire will wiggle a little bit when offroading. I'm sure I could figure out a way to stop it but I don't see it as a problem.
As far a Jack's go I have a small bottle jack from SafeJack that has some extensions. It comes in a bag that I move pretty easy. It has all I have ever needed with my truck or my Jeep. I just limp it to a good safe flat ground and it works. Not seen a reason to buy a big jack yet.

kalel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. What I mean was the tire will wiggle a little bit when offroading. I'm sure I could figure out a way to stop it but I don't see it as a problem.
As far a Jack's go I have a small bottle jack from SafeJack that has some extensions. It comes in a bag that I move pretty easy. It has all I have ever needed with my truck or my Jeep. I just limp it to a good safe flat ground and it works. Not seen a reason to buy a big jack yet.
Gotcha..... bet the bungees would help, sweet setup!

OP
OP
O

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What straps do you have? I have the SDHQ straps on their rack and it's tied the the cross bar. Strap it down nice and tight and they wiggle a tiny little bit. Nothing I have worried about.
Loved following along with the build!
Straps will be here today. some heavy duty cargo tie down. Made to wrap around axle or tire and hold a vehicle down on a trailer. will post pics. Side to side movement would have to be eliminated with another tie down going side to side. biggest concern would be the spare leaving the truck.
The pro eagle and harbor freight off road jacks are no joke 60+ lbs. I am torn between wanting to have flats now and using the thing (I have used my jack in the past to rescue many who go unprepared) and not wanting to lug the heavy bitch in and out of the bed of the truck. Fact is, if I become disabled/hurt my wife would NOT be able to get the jack in or out of the truck if needed.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Straps will be here today. some heavy duty cargo tie down. Made to wrap around axle or tire and hold a vehicle down on a trailer. will post pics. Side to side movement would have to be eliminated with another tie down going side to side. biggest concern would be the spare leaving the truck.

The pro eagle and harbor freight off road jacks are no joke 60+ lbs. I am torn between wanting to have flats now and using the thing (I have used my jack in the past to rescue many who go unprepared) and not wanting to lug the heavy bitch in and out of the bed of the truck. Fact is, if I become disabled/hurt my wife would NOT be able to get the jack in or out of the truck if needed.
I have caught some air a few times and been down plenty of wash board roads at speed. The tires wiggle but have never not once moved. Looking forward to seeing how you set yours up.
I hear ya on the jack. That's why I have the small bottle jack. It works and I move it from rig to rig easily. And my wife can do it and I have made her so she knows.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am torn between wanting to have flats now and using the thing (I have used my jack in the past to rescue many who go unprepared) and not wanting to lug the heavy bitch in and out of the bed of the truck. Fact is, if I become disabled/hurt my wife would NOT be able to get the jack in or out of the truck if needed.
Funny... this reminded me of Clarkson talking about the Countach back in the day. They give you this little hammer under the dash. It's for smashing the windshield out in the event of a rollover due to the fact it had scissor doors and grids on the side windows. (because the windshield was $10k to replace) he was contemplating if it would actually be less painfull to burn alive, or be made to use that little hammer. :Insane:

17008218756777.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have caught some air a few times and been down plenty of wash board roads at speed. The tires wiggle but have never not once moved. Looking forward to seeing how you set yours up.
I hear ya on the jack. That's why I have the small bottle jack. It works and I move it from rig to rig easily. And my wife can do it and I have made her so she knows.
Some side to side movement is to be expected. As long as the tire doesn't self eject, I will happy.

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was shocking how light they were when I pulled mine off and how heavy the Deaver +3HD’s were when I was putting those over the axels!

OP
OP
O

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Latest update. Finally had time to get the alignment done so I could drive it out of the parking lot. Went straight to the car wash. 12hrs later was dirty again. I have some observations....................

car wash.jpgdirty.jpg