Oil pan leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
How much out of pocket? Seems lik3 you should only have to pay for the part since they were doing the job already...

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ford is probably sitting on spare plastic pans, and / or a commitment to source these pans for warranty work form whomever the current supplier is. Every ’17-’18 that came stock with plastic pans, will get plastic pans in warranty replacement efforts, until or unless the current plastic pan inventory is exhausted.

Additionally, since more than just the pan is implicated in this swap, they’re not just going to cough up the other parts out of the goodness of their hearts. They will if it becomes enough of a financial burden, but it’s probably still less than 2% of the model line affected.

Unless this becomes a financial headache for Ford on a scale that makes it more financially sound to obsolete the old pan and replace with the newer model “parts kit” this is how it’s going to be.

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well....I’ve been putting off having my pan changed for about a year now.

Finally took it in. They had the truck 2 days. Showed me the Jun’18 revised procedure to remove and let it sit overnight, prep and silicone, install new pan and allow to cure for 4hrs before filling. They used the full synthetic as I requested.

I decided not to get too involved in the repair. Just let them do what they thought was appropriate. Of course even the service mgr didn’t know about the metal pan.... if this repair fails I’ll spec the metal pan I guess.

Of course they managed to scuff my front skid plate. I will have to be careful where I park at Starbucks now so nobody spots the imperfection.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Of course they managed to scuff my front skid plate. I will have to be careful where I park at Starbucks now so nobody spots the imperfection.

You should get that repainted so it looks good when stopping for a double tall latte!

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Agree. My Starbucks has a fairly steep approach angle and I exceeded it. Starbucks can be dangerous at times.

7cb0f204b7012d1064331eb8cf6d927d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booth9999

Reaction score
Agree. My Starbucks has a fairly steep approach angle and I exceeded it. Starbucks can be dangerous at times.

7cb0f204b7012d1064331eb8cf6d927d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did that happen? That’s a lot more than scratched the skid plate in my opinion.

Booth9999

Reaction score
Update: RBM is making a oil pan kit to address this issue. Just got the truck back two weeks ago getting the new (2nd replacement) and I’m pretty sure it is leaking again as I could smell oil burning again last night. I am going to try to get the dealer to install a metal pan this round. Here is the link
https://www.instagram.com/p/BthqKOYHvap/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet