Oil pan leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hornettt

Reaction score
Was just changing my oil 7500 mi and was looking around with a flashlight, and noticed that the truck has what appears to be an oil pan leak. Nothing on the floor but it's very obvious. I saw something on you tube about it. Just wondering if anyone else here has had a similar issue. If so what has the dealer said about it. I change my oil every 2500 myself so this is the third oil change since new and the first sighting of the leak. Plan on addressing this at the 10000 mile service.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, this is common. Do you have 17, or 18?

You will get a new plastic pan, and re-sealed to bottom of block. The pans have been cracking due to not being torqued down correctly.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Was just changing my oil 7500 mi and was looking around with a flashlight, and noticed that the truck has what appears to be an oil pan leak. Nothing on the floor but it's very obvious. I saw something on you tube about it. Just wondering if anyone else here has had a similar issue. If so what has the dealer said about it. I change my oil every 2500 myself so this is the third oil change since new and the first sighting of the leak. Plan on addressing this at the 10000 mile service.

are you caning the truck within can inch of its life? If not, you’re wasting a $hit ton of money on oil. Get some oil analysis done. I pulled my factory oil at 5k miles, the analysis was as expected, no surprises, plenty of life left. Mileage included 2 road trips of about 1k miles, mostly street miles with some minor off road exclusions and some enjoyment of the horsepower. The recommendation was to push to 7500 miles with no other changes and analyze again.

If by ‘common’ you mean a few every 10,000 units, then yeah, it’s common. possibly .075-0.1% of the current trucks maybe? You see the posts here complaining about it, but you don’t see the hundreds of other ’17-’18 users here who don’t have the issue. Even so, I think this is a part begging for aftermarket intervention.

OP
OP
H

Hornettt

Reaction score

You will get a new plastic pan, and re-sealed to bottom of block. The pans have been cracking due to not being torqued down correctly.

Thanks for the info, mine is a 17. Wish Ford was better at engineering stuff. I love this truck but I have had a Lexus and a Toyota as well as BMW's that were tight no leaks into the high 100k milage. 7500 miles 2 recalls and an oil leak just saying. Plus a possible exhaust leak.

Last edited:

KryptosXLayer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm having this exact same issue and this exact fix performed tomorrow. Seems to be common enough! I asked if the original pan could have just been torqued down and called a day, but the dealership would not let it go that way, has to be replaced.

Plastic oil pans, sheesh........ :rolleyes:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sasquatch 77 is a forum troll.

If it affected all 2017 models, why hasn’t it affected mine with 14,000 already?

Oh wait... you don’t own a truck. I forgot.

Here is the list on this forum.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/ugh-oil-leak-53382/

Other f150 forums are posting this same issue in their 17+ Ecoboost forums. This affects all 17+ 3.5 ecoboost.

A vendor that makes a metal pan and traditional drain plug will make themselves rich off this!

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope you don't get the leak. If you haven't already I'd get under it and check. I had no idea there was a slow seeping leak until I was underneath the truck looking around.

Sasquatch 77 is a forum troll.

If it affected all 2017 models, why hasn’t it affected mine with 14,000 already?

Oh wait... you don’t own a truck. I forgot.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just did my 4th oil change @ 16k miles. Mine's not leaking.

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did my second oil change, (10,000km or 6000miles).

Disappointed to say my pan is definitely leaking. The bolts have oil and the pan is wet.

I am considering leaving it until summer?? Do you think there is any risk to this?