Oil pan leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much of a PITA is this? I saw here that the rework is pretty intense. Need to do something with my plastic crap pan.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My OEM pan started leaking at 5k. Dealership resealed it and it held up to about 8k miles. At 10k I had them install the metal pan, sadly it was out of my pocket.
Here is the work order
oidKrK6

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

http://imgur.com/gallery/oidKrK6
There's the workorder
I know it sucks to have a plastic pan, thanks for posting the work order so we can see the parts list. When mine starts to leak (I’ll check in a month when I get home) I’d pay to have a metal pan put on also. Pissed me off I couldn’t get a pan heater installed when I got it home. (I live in Alaska some places I go it gets down to -40) I guess I should have researched a little more, but in the end I still would have bought the truck. I suppose option 2 would be to sell the truck and get a 2019...

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY2017 had the oil pan replaced at 10k miles and at 45k miles it is as dry as beach sand on a sunny day!! I do not understand what the fuzz is all about!! If a repair is done properly and following the workshop manual, it should not be an issue!! It is not rocket science!! The engine was designed with a plastic oil pan. Period!
71a9b9cd6621f2afa392907dada0f607.jpg
4883803a661647311bd303c0ee28f3f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY2017 had the oil pan replaced at 10k miles and at 45k miles it is as dry as beach sand on a sunny day!! I do not understand what the fuzz is all about!! If a repair is done properly and following the workshop manual, it should not be an issue!! It is not rocket science!! The engine was designed with a plastic oil pan. Period!

Agreed, but given the opportunity I would replace it with a metal pan. As mentioned I’d like to have an oil pan heater for trips north. We will see when/if if leaks while I own it.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Designed with a plastic pan? What are u talking about? If your statement was true then why did ford switch to a metal plan after 2/26/2018? Btw there is a member here who frequents Baja and his plastic pan warped due to the heat. How can you sell a Baja styled truck with a plastic oil pan?

Last edited:

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Designed with a plastic pan? What are u talking about? If your statement was true then why did ford switch to a metal plan after 2/26/2018? Btw there is a member here who frequents Baja and his plastic pan warped due to the heat. How can you sell a Baja styled truck with a plastic oil pan?

Many other car manufacturers are using plastic oil pans i.e. BMW and others!! Plastic oil pans are not new! And, I guess they are used primarily for weight savings and because they are cheaper to mass produce. Why did Ford change mid 2018 production to a metal pan?, don’t really know! Maybe because hard core Baja users complained about warping pans due to excessive heat, maybe? However, the issue here for 80% of Raptor users that barely take their trucks off road is the “leaking oil pan” and the “leaking oil pan” is not due to a plastic pan, but it is to an assembly issue (quality control) where a batch of raptors had poor o very little rtv (adhesive) applied during the engine assembly process, causing these leaks and then to boot toppled with the crappy service departments of many dealerships that do not really take the time and effort to follow the guidelines on their workshop manuals to complete a proper repair and that is why we continue to read these horror stories!