Oh no... Rattle Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Go under your truck and check for play in the sway bar end link lower joints.

I just brought my truck in for the same issue. I told the service writer the RF sway bar end link is loose and it clangs over bumps. They kept it 3 days and when I picked it up they wrote it as “No Problem Found”. Seriously? I literally told them what was wrong and they did nothing. Wasn’t a good conversation with that service writer afterward.
ROFL! A Ford tech getting bad service with Ford techs! I would rather spend the $160 on the new end links and replace them myself instead of deal with that aggravation. It's better for my health and exactly what I did. Hell, I just replaced the sunroof guides too (surprisingly easy) instead of having the dealer touch it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ROFL! A Ford tech getting bad service with Ford techs! I would rather spend the $160 on the new end links and replace them myself instead of deal with that aggravation. It's better for my health and exactly what I did. Hell, I just replaced the sunroof guides too (surprisingly easy) instead of having the dealer touch it.
I honestly couldn’t believe it. I literally told them exactly what was wrong and they still dropped the ball :facepalm:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I honestly couldn’t believe it. I literally told them exactly what was wrong and they still dropped the ball :facepalm:
Here's the thing though - this is what happens 95% of the time to us at Ford dealers. They really think we are just stupid (or they're stupid?) and just disregard whatever we tell them. Like when my wheel bearing went bad, I KNEW if I took it in to the dealer and told them it was the wheel bearing because I just got new tires and the noise is STILL THERE, they 100% would have still blamed the tires. Swapped that out myself as well.

j3ff

Reaction score
so sad... totally experienced the same thing.

i went to the ford stealership two separate occasions (with appointments) and offered to drive around with the service techs... "we couldn't hear anything, everything checks as normal."

went to an independent to have my emissions done today (dealership "quicklane" was a week out) and they told me when i picked it up that they noted the sway bar end links were shot... with no prompting.

i got online and ordered them as soon as i got home; will install when they arrive.

Reaction score
I googled this question and this post was at the top of the page. I have this same noise that just recently started, driver side only as far as I can tell. I live on an old dirt road and only hear it when I'm going slow on it. Any update on what was actually causing it? ty

RDR2019

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got my 2019 back from the dealer after 19 days troubleshooting this same sound. It turns out the IWE actuator broke and hub bearings were shot. They actually said it looked like whoever replaced the hubs did a poor job and broke the actuator…or that it was in an accident. Glad they serviced it under warranty.

I bought the truck from my 68yr old father who babied it, drove it to/from the office, never wrecked it, and always had the Ford dealer in Boerne, TX service it. Truck has 50k mi on it and all of the receipts/records cover basic maintenance. Seems like the IWE system may still be something to keep an eye on with the Gen2s like it was with my 2014, and if you have a metallic sound like OP posted at low speeds get your hubs checked out.

RDR2019

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Checked the dealer ticket and part hl1z3c247a is what they replaced to resolve the issue.

At first, they could not reproduce the sound and thought revving the engine in-place while stationary is what I meant. Had to get them to warm up the truck (didn’t do it as consistent when cold) and then test drive it at ~10-15 mph on a bumpy road. Easy peasy to reproduce the sound that way and they were able to confirm the sound and then use this method to test whether or not what they tinkered with fixed the truck…they thought tightening sway bar end links would work. They also thought it was the spare tire being somewhat loose. Nope! It was a faulty 4WD actuator assembly.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I started having a rattle on my 18 with 71k miles. Truck has been on +3 deavers with rpg drop shackles and geiser front springs since I bought the truck new. My spare under the bed has been removed and I have a Remus cat back with a resonator delete. It’s very intermittent and loud when it does rattle, seems to be more at slower neighborhood or parking lot speed. I just replaced rear calipers, e brake pads and hardware. I noticed driver side CV boot is ripped, it spit grease all over and differential seals are leaking. Anything other findings on the dreade rattle??