Oh no... Rattle Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
Well, I will try to make this as short as possible. I’ve searched similar threads but figured I’d make my own and provide my own videos.

Long story short, took my truck in a few weeks ago for warranty work (Esp 100K PremiumCare Warranty) 3 small leaks & drivers side seat heaters. Well while it was also in there, I had them check out a rattling/clanking noise coming from the driver’s side, sounds like something it loose. It's very noticeable at slower neighborhood speeds from 10-30mph. I'm sure it's there at higher road speeds around 40mph or so but hard to hear with road/wind noise.

Fast forward, truck was in there for 2 weeks just to get the dang leaks fixed & the seat heaters replaced. The service rep briefly told me the rattling/clank noise was due to the tires being very worn (they have maybe 3,000-5000 miles left) but that didn’t make any sense to me how a worn tire can cause the noise.

Got the truck back and the noise was actually worse. Emailed them and the manager got ahold of me to bring it in again to fix the issue (seems like they didn’t even attempt to the first time). Fast forward, I showed the service rep the videos and they determined it was the drivers side lower control arm bushings that failed, so they completely replaced the drivers side control arm and bushings, they had the truck for 10 days to do this. Just got it back yesterday and the noise is still friggin there and just as loud. Not to mention there is this dang whistling noise now that is very faint but I can hear it, I know I'm not going crazy.

Sorry for the long post but I will attach 2 different videos of the noise and hope some of you guys can help pinpoint the problem?

I’ll be getting involved with the manager this time but waiting a few days to do so just because I am too busy to take it in again until next week.

Thanks guys - Links to videos are below

Last edited:

KAJRIP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, totally sounds like worn tires. lol. Gotta love when tell you this crap with a straight face.

As far as the noise, it does sound like something loose. Maybe hop underneath and have a look for anything obvious.

OP
OP
RubyDaCherry

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
Yeah, totally sounds like worn tires. lol. Gotta love when tell you this crap with a straight face.

As far as the noise, it does sound like something loose. Maybe hop underneath and have a look for anything obvious.

Right? lol. I was tickled when they told me that. No way a tire can cause that embarrassing noise. I will plan on crawling under neath to check this weekend. Once I got home I thought to myself, what if they didn't even replace the control arm but I looked underneath and it is indeed a new control arm and bushings.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Better make sure they torqued that lower bolt for the shock down to spec. I wonder if they should do a vacuum test on the iwe's, hard to tell but could be teeth chattering in there.

OP
OP
RubyDaCherry

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score
Better make sure they torqued that lower bolt for the shock down to spec. I wonder if they should do a vacuum test on the iwe's, hard to tell but could be teeth chattering in there.

Well what puzzles me is they diagnosed & determined it was the lower control arm bushings that failed, so they were going to replace the arm itself & new bushings. Welp, still the same noise but thanks for the new control arm I guess lol. They didn’t drive to test it themselves, the mileage was still the same so I suppose they used my videos to diagnose. I initially considered it being the IWE myself.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like something is loose but not directly suspension related. Sounds like the rattle comes after the bumps in the road rather than a loose shock etc. Check your skid plates, Look for loose bolt or nut rolling around the top side of the skid plates. May be worth popping the wheel cap off and making sure the half shaft is tight. Almost sounds like it could be sliding in and out of the hub a bit? Hard to imagine if the lower control arm was replaced but who knows?

Last edited:

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask the question is I did new R1 rotors and pads had the same rattle, at low speed and wash board type bumps produced the same rattle. I talked to R1 they said yep replace your brake clips mine was the driver side front. Replaced all 4 corners and rattle is gone.