Off road navigation

Discussion in 'Off-Roading Your Raptor' started by FINRPTR, Jul 13, 2018.

1. FINRPTR

FINRPTR Member

What do you guys use?

I don't want to buy and install a "system" that takes up a lot of money or space, but I do want something that will get me there and back. I have looked at Lowrance, then I saw a setup where you hook a GPS antenna unit to an iPad and install an app and away you go.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone used this type set up?

2. Clockton

Clockton Full Access Member

Depends on how much you'll need navigation. LeadNav is the best place to start and you dont need the external antenna. Use that app for a while and if it doesn't suit your needs then upgrade to Lowrance. The map downloads that Leadnav requires become cumbersome at some point. When your sick of LeadNav get the Carbon 7 inch and the HD map files from PCI. Leadnav can become your backup

3. jzweedyk

jzweedyk Member

I use an IPAD Pro with a external Garmin GPS and GAIA app. It works great. You can download maps to use offline (where I go, no cell signal). The only limitation is you can only download so many Satellite maps on the IPAD at one time. (GAIA limitation, not the IPAD limitation) It keeps trails, you can name them and put notes in. There are several maps to chose from and you can switch on the fly, your trails will also so up.

I think the price for the app was $ 30 for a year, I am not sure. You really do not need the premium membership unless you are a pro.

If we are in the National Forest we use their tops maps and it shows all 4wd trails, even some that do not exist.

Many of my Jeep friends who off road also use it.

4. FINRPTR

FINRPTR Member

Do you guys know if LeadNav has the option to overlay google maps on top of the waypoints? Someone suggested that I should find a program that has that option.

I guess the real question is, in Lucerne and Johnson Valley, will LeadNav show all the roads and trails?

5. Clockton

Clockton Full Access Member

Yes you can download various satellite images. Its cheap and easy. Go this route

6. FINRPTR

FINRPTR Member

Good to know, Thank you.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

I just found their Web site. Good stuff here.

Thanks again guys.