OEM Front and Rear Shocks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
M

Magnum PI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's up to you. I'm with swampfox if it's not broken don't fix it. I upgraded to 3.0 and they also want you to rebuild every so often. I have been beating the crap out of them for 3 years. Over 30k on them. Still work great. If a shock starts leaking I'll rebuild.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ive seen the insides of motorcycle forks, which is a pretty similar setup as these shocks with oil that looks like straight mud after 30K miles. There's a lot of stuff going on inside the shocks, especially offroad. theres temp changes that cause condensation/corrosion. That said, Im sure their service interval was designed by engineers that saw some drop in performance at a certain timeframe. Ill go with them, and I bet I couldnt tell the difference between new and 50K shocks.

04-Raptor

Reaction score
OEM Front and Rear Shocks

I would like to buy the rear shocks only. DM me?

DezertRacer

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So because a manufacture who is in business to sell what it manufactures states that its product needs to be repaired/rebuilt ever so often that I should just abide by that because they say so? Well that may be very profitable for the manufacture but where I come from if it's not broken don't fix it. I'd would be interested in getting them rebuilt when the time comes that they need it.

Don't mean to hack your thread, but seems like a place to ask ya'll a question. I have heard the shock rebuild since I bought the truck, and it will not be warranty. Here is my question, if they are not leaking, what is the indication they need to be rebuilt? I realize that Fox says every 40k, but I kinda compare it to things like transmission fluid change, front/rear end lube, transfer case, etc., they have mileage listed changes, but most folks I know do not do it unless there is a problem. Thanks.

Have you guys seen these shocks taken apart? Iv seen some at 28k miles that were toasted. Not leaking and didn't look bad . But inside was a different story . You run your shocks to what you think is the right time . During races or on race applications they are rebuilt after every event . The shock gets super hot under use , smaller confined areas with no external coolers . The oil brakes down and they get extremely hot then cooled. Once the seals get to a point to wear any nitrogen can leak it will , then the shock is really going down hill fast . It is not like a normal gas charged shock , that is meant to be used then thrown away once done . Thats why they are rebuildable and why they can get leaks , not just with oil but nitrogen . Thats why on road , the mileage is longer then offroad use with less extreme conditions .

Status
Not open for further replies.