OEM 13 HID issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the OEM Ford HIDs in my 12 Raptor and when my wife got home from work today she had no headlights. I jumped in and the high beams worked fine but when you switch it back to low beam there's nothing. I just spent an hr taking both headlights out and checking every connection and there is no rust or corrosion anywhere. Everything looks like the day I put them in. I redid the grounds but I still only have high beams. Has anyone else had this problem? Super bummed and very frustrated to say the least.

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the inline fuse on the harness that I bought from Dawson at Raptor Retrofit and it was fine. I don't think it's a fuse because I did have a one headlight stay on low beam for 4-5 seconds while I was sitting in it and going from high beam to low beam. The high beams are working perfect. Is there is a fuse for the low beam only?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i believe there is an oem fuse for just the low beams, but if its on, then it wouldnt be a fuse. i think it would have to be with the wiring. because the lights are coming on with the high beams, means the ballast and the bulb are good.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem seems most likely the relay in the harness, these relays have given issues for a while, especially if they ever get any water in the tiny little pins. TRS upgraded the relays last year and the new one has a waterproof connector where the relay attaches to the harness. Give Dawson a shout, he'll fix you up. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/diy-installation-guides/f150-harness-guide.html here's a tutorial from TRS that may help you with the diagnostics.

Last edited:

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The problem seems most likely the relay in the harness, these relays have given issues for a while, especially if they ever get any water in the tiny little pins. TRS upgraded the relays last year and the new one has a waterproof connector where the relay attaches to the harness. Give Dawson a shout, he'll fix you up.

Agreed, this is why I said to check for power at the OEM connector. If you have power at the connector, then the problem is the wiring harness/relay.

---------- Post added at 07:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

If it is the harness/relay, @Raptor Retrofit will replace it.

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the input on this. I let my wife take it to work today because of the storm that we're getting here in Mass today but I'll check the relay when she gets home this afternoon. I mounted it correctly based on the directions and when I looked it yesterday it had looked like brand new, no rust or corrosion anywhere. It just sucks ass because this is the second time this has happened to me. I checked and rechecked everything last night when she first got home. The grounds were both fine but I redid them anyways. She said the low beams came on it the garage when she started it this morning but quickly went out.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the input on this. I let my wife take it to work today because of the storm that we're getting here in Mass today but I'll check the relay when she gets home this afternoon. I mounted it correctly based on the directions and when I looked it yesterday it had looked like brand new, no rust or corrosion anywhere. It just sucks ass because this is the second time this has happened to me. I checked and rechecked everything last night when she first got home. The grounds were both fine but I redid them anyways. She said the low beams came on it the garage when she started it this morning but quickly went out.

Mass... Why didn't you say so? So when are you going to join use on a CT Raptor Run? The next one is Feb 21th., if your up for it. http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f56/2nd-annual-northeast-raptor-snowfest-38993/