Intermittent AC issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbanana777

Reaction score
I’ve got a brand new 2023 Raptor, driving thru Mojave and the AC completely stopped blowing air. It was in the 90’s outside and had to sweat up to Mammoth for 3 hours. The next day the AC seemed to work again. Took it to the dealer when I got back home and they said no error codes and couldn’t replicate the AC problem. So they can’t do anything because they don’t know what to fix.

I know this was partially discussed before and I showed my dealer the TSB for the AC which he said was old.

Any suggestions? I can’t replicate the AC not working unless I probably drive it thru the desert for 3 hours. I know in the previous thread that some have said it was the evaporator coil in the dash. Just wondering if people were actually getting error codes for the coil? My issue is I’m not getting error codes so the dealer won’t fix anything.

Thanks

WHDRaptor

Reaction score
I had the same issue happen yesterday. 22 Raptor. This is the 4th time since Sept22this happened. The AC quits blowing air. You can hear the compressor blowing but no air coming out of vents. Tried turning off unit, tried max, Auto, even the cooling seat function was not cooling like it normally does. Although when it 100 degrees and no AC windows rolled down its hard to tell if seats are cooling. All the previous times I turned truck off and then back on and problem was resolved. This time on a 4 hour trip 102 degrees. Stopped vehicle 3 times for at least 5-10 minutes and restarted same result. Only after arriving at home waiting for 20 minutes then restart and it was like nothing happened. AC working fine. Needless to say very frustrating. Taking it back to dealership.

OP
OP
B

bigbanana777

Reaction score
I feel ur pain. I’m in Los Angeles and I called the dealer in Texas that I thought could help but he said he can’t diagnose it without looking at it. I called several dealers in my area and they all said they can’t do anything if they can’t recreate the AC problem. So I just gave up. I just drove up to the Sierras and 2 hours in the AC goes out again. Not blowing any air even though it’s making the sound. I turned the heater on for 5 minutes and then switched it to the AC. Surprise the AC starting blowing again. Very frustrating. Let me know when ur dealer says. Thanks

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like evaporator is freezing over . Turn A/C off , let fan only run . Give 10 min or so . Then turn A/C back on see if it works. If you start out in morning and run on low fan speed i think ice builds blocking airflow . Turning compressor off will allow it to melt . If this is the case i would leave fan speed on high and divert the air if its to cold .

B HARV

Reaction score
I just had this issue on my brand new 2023 with ONLY 150 miles on it. A/C not blowing or blowing extremely light and warm, the fan is audible and verified I'm using the correct setting on dash.

Long story short, this is a VERY common problem from what they told me. The tech came out and took one look under the hood (top left at firewall), saw that the line was frozen over and knew EXACTLY what the issue was. I was told it is the Evaporator Temp Sensor that is the exact issue. To elaborate for others on diagnosis and/or dealing with your dealer, there was no code thrown for this issue but the symptoms are fairly obvious.

The tech said he has recently done about 20-30 of the newer F series trucks with the exact same issue. The repair (not sure if they replace the entire evaporator or not) requires taking the entire dash out to reach the part in question. They expect it to be near a 5 hour job and I'm told they do have a new 'revised' part number that is only stocked in the Ford warehouse and sent out specifically for this fix.

Needless to say I'm not entirely thrilled about the situation, since it seems to have been a Ford F series issue for a while, and the fact that they have to take the dash out of my brand new $90K truck.

Good thing I have a great dealer and they are taking care of me but its a hell of a situation when you have drive the XLT loaner home when you just dropped serious coin on a new truck.

I'll try and keep you all updated on the situation.

OP
OP
B

bigbanana777

Reaction score
B Harv,

Thanks for the info. Can u send me the name of ur dealer. How’s the repair going so far?

B HARV

Reaction score
B Harv,

Thanks for the info. Can u send me the name of ur dealer. How’s the repair going so far?
Bigbanana, so its kind of another long story. I'm not sure I can PM you on this forum until I get more posts (feel free to correct me on that one), but I'm happy to get you the dealer info on the back end.

Good news is the new evaporator (was told it is an updated p/n) seems to have done the trick, but keep in mind I've only put 60-75 miles on it since the fix.

So here comes the long story... when they hooked back up the coolant line at the firewall (for heater core) the guy didn't connect it correctly. So, when I pulled out of the dealership and onto the highway I only made it about a mile until it popped off and drained ALL the coolant out of the system. Wound up on the side of the highway until I made the service guy drop the loaner I had for the initial service back to me on the side of the road. Not fun on a 100 deg day.

Allegedly, Ford deployed a new 'twist-style' connector (different than the old style coolant line connectors they have used for year) for that coolant line at the firewall. Not sure how much BS that is but I'm sure they just didn't connect it correctly and it blew off.

GenoTX

Reaction score
I’ve got a brand new 2023 Raptor, driving thru Mojave and the AC completely stopped blowing air. It was in the 90’s outside and had to sweat up to Mammoth for 3 hours. The next day the AC seemed to work again. Took it to the dealer when I got back home and they said no error codes and couldn’t replicate the AC problem. So they can’t do anything because they don’t know what to fix.

I know this was partially discussed before and I showed my dealer the TSB for the AC which he said was old.

Any suggestions? I can’t replicate the AC not working unless I probably drive it thru the desert for 3 hours. I know in the previous thread that some have said it was the evaporator coil in the dash. Just wondering if people were actually getting error codes for the coil? My issue is I’m not getting error codes so the dealer won’t fix anything.

Thanks
For what it’s worth I had the same issue. Ford said it’s been happening while on long trips. Essentially, the coil is freezing up. They replaced the coil on some, not one mine as Ford engineers continue to explore. My second Raptor R. Disappointing as it’s now been in the shop for a week!

Stevem12

Reaction score
I have a 23 Raptor R. Same issue, driving from Tx to NM yesterday and AC stops blowing. Has anyone added coolant as a band aid until Ford presents a solid solution?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter