Odd issue of not starting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just though of something, you might want to check the hood switch, this is the switch that tells the truck not to start when the hood is open.
It could be that it needs to be bent up a little so when the hood is down it fully depresses the switch. Or check the plug for corrosion.

Last edited:

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Kevin I sent the link of this thread to our tuner. Being trained by ford and having an extensive knowledge he usually has some ideas of what to look for. When the trucks not starting is the theft light flashing by chance?

OP
OP
K

KevinMs

Reaction score
The theft light on mine is located by the headlight switch close to the left knee. The dealer inquired about this Tuesday. I didnt know exactly what the light was, took for granted it was on all Raptors, but apparently its an aftermarket alarm/security system that was dealer installed and integrated into the key programming. Sorry to give such a long reply but does seem kinda relevant. I know the light flashes when I'm driving it but honestly I never paid attention to when it would not crank.

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What about the little red flashing light on the dash?

OP
OP
K

KevinMs

Reaction score
I never really paid attention, when it happens again I will give it a good look. What exactly would I be looking for it to do?

OP
OP
K

KevinMs

Reaction score
Ok getting to the nity grity now.
Step 1, remove/disconnect the aftermarket alarm system

The service manager didnt seem to think that was it. Does ford make an upgraded alarm/ anti-theft option?
Sorry to get off point, are there instances where alarms cause this type of non-starting problem? Seems like it would be failing on a more consistent level rather than just so oddly. Also, why does it have to be driven in order to eventually fail? Apparently idling till up to running temperature and then letting it cool down does not incite the problem, only when driven.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The service manager didnt seem to think that was it. Does ford make an upgraded alarm/ anti-theft option?
Sorry to get off point, are there instances where alarms cause this type of non-starting problem? Seems like it would be failing on a more consistent level rather than just so oddly. Also, why does it have to be driven in order to eventually fail? Apparently idling till up to running temperature and then letting it cool down does not incite the problem, only when driven.

Yes, many times its is the cause of the problems and being that this problem is intermittent it would be my first thing to do. As frustrating as it is for you to have this happen think about the guy that is trying to duplicate it... I have had it happen to me many times. Disabling that alarm would be step 1 no matter what they are saying. Ask any one here that has looked for intermittent electrical problems. The truck needs to be returned back to stock and then see if you still have the problem.

OP
OP
K

KevinMs

Reaction score
Yes, many times its is the cause of the problems and being that this problem is intermittent it would be my first thing to do. As frustrating as it is for you to have this happen think about the guy that is trying to duplicate it... I have had it happen to me many times. Disabling that alarm would be step 1 no matter what they are saying. Ask any one here that has looked for intermittent electrical problems. The truck needs to be returned back to stock and then see if you still have the problem.

Thanks, I'll dive into trying to disable it tomorrow when I have some daylight. Considering it is built into the stock key, will this cause any further issues?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score