Odd engine noise under throttle and intermittently while idling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday when coming to a stop I noticed an odd noise coming from the passenger side of my truck while inside the cab. The noise isn't easy to describe other than calling it a bump or a knock. When inside the cab it sounds like it's coming from just above the motor on the passenger side. With the hood open it's definitely coming from the passenger side up top. Yesterday the noise would disappear if the truck was in park or drive, while revving the engine or at idle. Today the noise is apparent while the truck is in any gear. The noise will match the revs of the motor but it also appears less routinely at idle. Again it's hard to describe but it sounds a bit like a washing machine while inside the cab of the truck.

Could this possibly be the sound of the DI, or the high pressure fuel pump? I feel like if it were the fuel pump it wouldn't be coming from this area of the engine bay. Truck is running fine otherwise. Transmission shifting could be better but my forscan tool is getting delivered today and i'm going to clear the adaptive learning and hope that cleans up the harsh shifting.

Any ideas? Attached MP3 of the noise while inside the cab. Sorry that it's quiet, at full volume I can hear it on my laptop speakers though. Noise is most prevalent starting at 0:04 on the sound file.

Attachments

• IMG_4168.mp3
    132 KB
Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I couldn't hear anything, max volume etc.
Try putting the truck into 4h when driving and see if it goes away. Report back!
*don't turn any corners*

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday when coming to a stop I noticed an odd noise coming from the passenger side of my truck while inside the cab. The noise isn't easy to describe other than calling it a bump or a knock. When inside the cab it sounds like it's coming from just above the motor on the passenger side. With the hood open it's definitely coming from the passenger side up top. Yesterday the noise would disappear if the truck was in park or drive, while revving the engine or at idle. Today the noise is apparent while the truck is in any gear. The noise will match the revs of the motor but it also appears less routinely at idle. Again it's hard to describe but it sounds a bit like a washing machine while inside the cab of the truck.

Could this possibly be the sound of the DI, or the high pressure fuel pump? I feel like if it were the fuel pump it wouldn't be coming from this area of the engine bay. Truck is running fine otherwise. Transmission shifting could be better but my forscan tool is getting delivered today and i'm going to clear the adaptive learning and hope that cleans up the harsh shifting.

Any ideas? Attached MP3 of the noise while inside the cab. Sorry that it's quiet, at full volume I can hear it on my laptop speakers though.
Next time record it at full volume on whatever platform you are using.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I heard it, that’s definitely abnormal. That is to say, I’ve not heard or appreciated that rhythmic sort of sound before.

@FordTechOne may have insight? certainly more qualified than most of the audience here. I’d be inclined to at least have it looked at if you’re rocking a warranty or ESP. The Ecoboost isn’t known for being the quietest engine platform out there - nowhere near as raucous as a s00b, but these trucks definitely make a lot of sounds.

OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard it, that’s definitely abnormal. That is to say, I’ve not heard or appreciated that rhythmic sort of sound before.

@FordTechOne may have insight? certainly more qualified than most of the audience here. I’d be inclined to at least have it looked at if you’re rocking a warranty or ESP. The Ecoboost isn’t known for being the quietest engine platform out there - nowhere near as raucous as a s00b, but these trucks definitely make a lot of sounds.
Outside of factory warranty at this point, and no ESP currently. I had plans to purchase an ESP from Zeigler sometime soon, but now with this sound I might expedite that. They require an inspection prior to purchase, so the noise may disqualify me either way.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Yesterday when coming to a stop I noticed an odd noise coming from the passenger side of my truck while inside the cab. The noise isn't easy to describe other than calling it a bump or a knock. When inside the cab it sounds like it's coming from just above the motor on the passenger side. With the hood open it's definitely coming from the passenger side up top. Yesterday the noise would disappear if the truck was in park or drive, while revving the engine or at idle. Today the noise is apparent while the truck is in any gear. The noise will match the revs of the motor but it also appears less routinely at idle. Again it's hard to describe but it sounds a bit like a washing machine while inside the cab of the truck. Could this possibly be the sound of the DI, or the high pressure fuel pump? I feel like if it were the fuel pump it wouldn't be coming from this area of the engine bay. Truck is running fine otherwise. Transmission shifting could be better but my forscan tool is getting delivered today and i'm going to clear the adaptive learning and hope that cleans up the harsh shifting. Any ideas? Attached MP3 of the noise while inside the cab. Sorry that it's quiet, at full volume I can hear it on my laptop speakers though. Noise is most prevalent starting at 0:04 on the sound file. I heard i t

Any ideas? Attached MP3 of the noise while inside the cab. Sorry that it's quiet, at full volume I can hear it on my laptop speakers though. Noise is most prevalent starting at 0:04 on the sound file.
I heard it and it didn't sound good.

OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bit more information for context, the noise is drowned out by any road noise, A/C or heat, cooled seats, music, or even my wife talking at me. I can pretty much only hear it if I'm completely alone on the road or in my driveway with everything else turned off. With the hood open I can barely distinguish it from other engine noises, but that's while standing on a chair sticking my head in the engine bay.

Probably unrelated, but my one of my intercooler hoses was leaking recently as well https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/lower-radiator-hose-leaking-at-clamp.89348/#post-1728172
I've since tightened the clamp but it still leaks slightly. Since tightening the clamp there is now a metal TING when remote starting, which I'm not concerned about.

My oil levels are great, oil pressure is where it should be, truck is always warmed up at least 15 minutes before driving. Truck has no noticeable performance loss since discovering the the knocking noise.

This thread here https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/tapping-sound.65140/ describes a pretty similar issue with the same general location. No sound clip to compare but FordTechOne comments it may be the HPFP. Not sure that's the problem in my case, although the posters symptoms are very similar.

This thead here https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/knocking-sound-at-low-rpm.88195/page-2 has some audio that sounds pretty much exactly what i'm experiencing with the same symptoms. A dealer diagnosed it as a blown turbo but after replacing the turbo the noise remained. I'm going to PM the OP and see if he had any resolution.

Last edited: