Odd engine noise under throttle and intermittently while idling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Hopefully, the noise is a nothing burger. Too bad about the snow. There are warmer place in the country y’know ;-)

OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got in touch with the other forum member experiencing something similar, we discussed the noise and the conditions in which it's present and it sounds like we're having the exact same thing.

He's been into the dealer and had his turbo replaced to no avail. Good news is, the dealer seems to think the sound is not harmful, and they may have figured out what the issue is. He says his dealer is going to replace his Cat next and see if that solves the problem.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wasn’t able to hear anything in the video, volume is too low. Regardless, if you can only hear the noise at idle when everything else is dead silent, it’s most likely normal engine operation. The fuel system will typically run port injection at idle, so the HPFP is dead headed at around 3,000PSI, which makes is more audible.

cigman1st

Reaction score
I wasn’t able to hear anything in the video, volume is too low. Regardless, if you can only hear the noise at idle when everything else is dead silent, it’s most likely normal engine operation. The fuel system will typically run port injection at idle, so the HPFP is dead headed at around 3,000PSI, which makes is more audible.
Mine is loud enough I was going to take it in for service. It sounds nothing like I would expect from a normal engine compartment. I only have 17,500 miles on my 2019, no mods, never been off road, and never ridden hard (Don't tell the others in the group). I first noticed the knocking while in drive and sitting next to a building in line to pick up a food order. I thought it couldn't be my truck and even turned mine off just to be sure. It was mine. Ater a month it only seems to be getting louder.

Forumr

Reaction score
I got in touch with the other forum member experiencing something similar, we discussed the noise and the conditions in which it's present and it sounds like we're having the exact same thing.

He's been into the dealer and had his turbo replaced to no avail. Good news is, the dealer seems to think the sound is not harmful, and they may have figured out what the issue is. He says his dealer is going to replace his Cat next and see if that solves the problem.
No luck on this front. Noise still occurring.

If anyone else has the noise, have a passenger force it to happen (at whatever conditions your truck does it) and put a long screw driver to the passenger-side turbo housing. Mine feels like someone is hitting the engine with a hammer somewhere. @FordTechOne - can HPFP cause impact like that?

OP
OP
Win Seeker

Win Seeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry If my original post wasn't clear, the noise is most apparent when revving the engine. The noise matches the revs.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No luck on this front. Noise still occurring.

If anyone else has the noise, have a passenger force it to happen (at whatever conditions your truck does it) and put a long screw driver to the passenger-side turbo housing. Mine feels like someone is hitting the engine with a hammer somewhere. @FordTechOne - can HPFP cause impact like that?
It’s possible depending on how the sound it traveling. You can remove the engine cover and place the screwdriver on the HPFP to see if it’s the source of the sound.