Obvious statement: 5.0 versus 3.5 Ecoboost HO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve driven several new Mustang GT’s and would compare them to a domestic Honda S-2000 as far as the powerband goes. Very little low end or mid range power. Just my thoughts. Camaro SS on the other hand, torque on tap at low RPM.

Drive the manual. If you still think that, you're not driving it right.
I went from C7 GS Corvettes to a Mustang GT and then a GT350. The GT was better off the line than both of them. BTW, I had 3 corvettes and I like the Shelby better.

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dropped my 2019 Raptor off for a few small things to fix at the dealer:

1. Door keypad loose (plastic clip broke apparently)
2. Sunroof stuck open (two plastic pieces broke)
3. Condensation line issue in passenger footwell (HVAC water on floorboard)

So, they gave me a brand new XLT F-150 (8 miles on the clock) loaner with the 5.0 V8. This may not be newsworthy to many, but damn it feels weak at low/mid rpm. I didn't realize how much I got used to the low/mid range torque of the 3.5 HO engine. If you're pushing down less than half to 2/3's throttle, the 5.0 engine just doesn't give you much thrust at all. Also, the engine sound is so muffled by the stock exhaust system, you can barely tell it's a V8.

Anyway, it's getting me around town fine and it's not a bad engine at all, but I'd take the Ecoboost 100 times out of 100 if given a choice.

That is all. Happy Thursday! :)

So ironic, I was literally just going to post about this...but opposite view...I had a 2019 loaner last week, 38 miles, V8. Same cab and bed size. To me the 5.0 was so much quicker off the line and lower speeds. My wife drove it and thought the same thing. Crazy, I even have a Goose tune with xmsn tune and still felt that the initial off the line grunt felt better on the 5.0. It made me regret my Raptor decision a little bit, the alternative I was considering was a loaded 5.0 with the Roushcharger and some suspension work (maybe BDS). Made me wish a little I had gone down the SC'd V8 route. To each their own I guess.

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with those 5.0's. I had a 2018 that I got rid of after 8 months. Used a qt of oil every 2500 miles.
They wanted to pull the engine and replace the long block. I traded it.

McM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw the 2021 ford gt. Not the mustang. Has the 3.5 in it. From there comments. Throw this in the raptor. The torque is still 550 though. Huh.

EcoBoost under its rear deck generates 660 horses and loads of torque. Feeding the rear wheels through a lightning-fast dual-clutch automatic, this combination provides near-terrifying accelerationFDA56EA4-BE5F-40CE-884D-34553DAEED26.png

Last edited:

Pralix

Reaction score
I just got back from a long trip that I used the raptor to tow a travel trailer. The trailer was between 5700 and 6000 pounds. I was climbing hills and mountains with no issues. I was blowing past larger pickup trucks with ease. I'm happy with the 3.5 HO Ecoboost.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't know why you skipped on the GT350. Mine hasn't used a drop of oil in 2000 miles. Earlier models did use oil, but that seems to have been taken care of. Fragile???? What other motors redline at 8500 rpm.
There were a few blow ups, but no more than other high performance engines. Tranny spotty???? The regular GT has a spotty manual trans, but the Shelby tranny is a different animal. I don't know where you get your info from. Maybe you should've driven one.
You passed up a great car.

i did drive one that’s why i was interested in it, great package- I’m not a big ford guy never have been so hadn’t really been following the mustang changes over the years that closely, did some research & saw some posts bout engines blowing & a guy I met who was bringing one to local car shows said he had some issues w/ it but “did an aftermarket fix” whatever that means. You’re probably right w/ the tranny being a regular Earlier mustang issue. At the time was debating going all in w/ my (at the time) H/C/I C5Z which is still fairly “new” only have 41k miles now. But before dumping $$$ into a supercharger build w/ a ton of other supporting/suspension mods I checked out a bunch of other stuff I was interested in. The GT350 along w/ BMW M2 competition, ZL1 camaro or SS 1Le & C7 GS Vette were all very good.....but I had a set budget & didn’t really want another payment.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Drive the manual. If you still think that, you're not driving it right.
I went from C7 GS Corvettes to a Mustang GT and then a GT350. The GT was better off the line than both of them. BTW, I had 3 corvettes and I like the Shelby better.

dude...come on man....this a troll
Job or what? Everyone welcome to their own opinion but your claim that a Mustang- GT or GT350 - is a better performer than a C7 GS is extremely suspect.

and I do think the GT350 is a fabulous car, but it’s not a 2 seat low sling purpose built light weight more powerful C7 GS

OP
OP
Q

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude...come on man....this a troll
Job or what? Everyone welcome to their own opinion but your claim that a Mustang- GT or GT350 - is a better performer than a C7 GS is extremely suspect.

and I do think the GT350 is a fabulous car, but it’s not a 2 seat low sling purpose built light weight more powerful C7 GS

Yeah, a GT350 nor GT is going to hole shot a properly driven C7 unless the Ford's are modded with drag slicks. Anyway, we all digress.

So, got my Raptor back and I was getting more used to the 5.0, it is a strong engine at higher rpm, but still think it's pretty flat in the low/mid range. I did notice my Raptor felt fairly lethargic leaving the dealer at lower throttle openings, but then I realized I had disconnected my Banks Pedal Monster from the OBD2 port and hidden it while the truck was in for service in case they needed to access the OBD2 port. I've gotten so used to running the Pedal Monster and it's very quick and linear response with not as much throttle input, that it feels so much more responsive. Need to plug that back in ASAP when I leave work today.

Anyway, thread feels more lame now since I started it. The 5.0 is good, however I think the 3.5HO is a bit better for overall power delivery. But, as with any engine, you need to drive to it's strengths. If you're always shifting under 5,000rpm in a Honda S2000, you'll think it sucks, because it lives in the 5,000 to 9,000 range. Same with the GT3, etc. So, the 5.0, for real power, you just need to rev it up. Engine seems pretty happy doing it, so no biggie.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, a GT350 nor GT is going to hole shot a properly driven C7 unless the Ford's are modded with drag slicks. Anyway, we all digress.

So, got my Raptor back and I was getting more used to the 5.0, it is a strong engine at higher rpm, but still think it's pretty flat in the low/mid range. I did notice my Raptor felt fairly lethargic leaving the dealer at lower throttle openings, but then I realized I had disconnected my Banks Pedal Monster from the OBD2 port and hidden it while the truck was in for service in case they needed to access the OBD2 port. I've gotten so used to running the Pedal Monster and it's very quick and linear response with not as much throttle input, that it feels so much more responsive. Need to plug that back in ASAP when I leave work today.

Anyway, thread feels more lame now since I started it. The 5.0 is good, however I think the 3.5HO is a bit better for overall power delivery. But, as with any engine, you need to drive to it's strengths. If you're always shifting under 5,000rpm in a Honda S2000, you'll think it sucks, because it lives in the 5,000 to 9,000 range. Same with the GT3, etc. So, the 5.0, for real power, you just need to rev it up. Engine seems pretty happy doing it, so no biggie.

Wait til you try a tuned 3.5 HO....it has power, ahhh....everywhere lol

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So ironic, I was literally just going to post about this...but opposite view...I had a 2019 loaner last week, 38 miles, V8. Same cab and bed size. To me the 5.0 was so much quicker off the line and lower speeds. My wife drove it and thought the same thing. Crazy, I even have a Goose tune with xmsn tune and still felt that the initial off the line grunt felt better on the 5.0. It made me regret my Raptor decision a little bit, the alternative I was considering was a loaded 5.0 with the Roushcharger and some suspension work (maybe BDS). Made me wish a little I had gone down the SC'd V8 route. To each their own I guess.

You have to factor in the extra weight of the truck itself as well as the additional unsprung weight of the wheels and tires. Coupled with the large tire diameter, the Raptor will not have the same responsiveness of a standard F-150. If the Raptor was available with a 5.0, it would feel lethargic compared with the 3.5 HO.