New video with a Ford Pres

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you agree… awesome! The gen 3 is a great truck…. But she is like the girl that looks great but her face! Lol……
Nah, I think the rendering looks like someone at TUSCANY touched it with some 5th Gen mustang parts.

LouK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
forgot about the SUBBIIEEE!! but the 350-370 (306HP-332HP) the GTR (480HP-600HP) and even the miata got a modest bump throughout the years, albeit i think it was like 10HP lol.
I think the point with these trucks is that the "regular" f150 engines are meeting or surpassing the HP/TQ of the "performance" version. Subaru wouldn't make a regular impreza the same or more HP/TQ as an STI, so they just kept with what they have and refined it over the years. (which there is nothing wrong with)
I agree more power doesn't always mean more better, but in this specific segment I feel it has its merits.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was expecting a 25hp bump at least . I'm holding out for the R. I have moved some money to set me up when they are available to order and purchase . I think this will be last Dance for a High HP gas offroad truck , Before the electrics take over. If R is not all that May say screw it and convert to Tesla New Roadster in development 0-60 in 1.9 second 0-100 in 4.2 seconds and 8.8 seconds 1/4 mile. 250 mph top speed . $50grand to reserve .

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still think there’s a chance it has bigger turbos that could possibly dial up the power to even nuttier levels w/ just a tune- could be an “Easter egg” they throw in.

on the other hand- if the truck stays the same weight while swapping out the rear leafs for coil-overs + adding even beefier & more responsive fox shocks + better tranny programming/modes the net result is going to be a truck that is faster on the road & significantly faster OFF road - which is where this vehicle is designed to truly shine- most people forget that.

People keep pointing to the TRX that it’s “superior” b/c it has a blown V8 & 700hp- that comes w/ a HUGE asterisk IMHO- yeah it has those advantages, but it’s the Raptor that created & owned this segment, & the TRX is already proven to be less capable/“slower” in real world OFFROAD settings compared to a gen2 Raptor all else being equal. So we already KNOW, offroad where the true comparison deserves to be made- the Gen3 Raptor will already be superior right off the bat. The “asterisk” I mention should note: the TRX weighs 900-1100 lbs MORE than a gen2 (& I bet gen3 be even lighter) depending on trim, despite the higher weight it wears smaller shocks from a “lesser” shock manufacturer (@ least when it comes to offroad stuff), a lot of that weight is carried exactly where you don’t want it in a performance vehicle (esp one that’s supposed to “fly” on occasion) - over the nose. Oh....& while that whining blown rumbling V8 will be intoxicating you to constantly get on it- you may be a bit diasspponted you’ll never truly get to feel the full brunt of it because the truck can’t be put into 2wd....& everyone’s well aware there’s only ONE reason why they’d choose to do that (& it certainly ain’t to declare to the world how confident they are in the driveline bits attached to that monster engine)

the irony is a lot of what people think makes the TRX “superior” is what causes it to fall short offroad- that crazy power & lack of 2wd & heavy weight results in a more difficult to control & less nimble offroad vehicle compared to the Raptor

Ford is actually doing the exact opposite, they let Ram have a lil fun & spotlight, now they’re going to embarrass & smash em outright. Why? Because the real offroad loyalists already know what I just stated & Ford will be glad to prove it to the world- the “base” Gen3 will wipe the floor w/ a TRX offroad. Period. That’s a fact.

So when they finally drop that Raptor-R super truck, after the automotive press & you tubers & bloggers have had their hands on plenty of “base” Gen3 Raptors extolling their virtues- & let’s be honest it’ll be much more reliable/rugged than the TRX too, my guess is they’ll then drop the Raptor-R in the 2nd production year & given what most believe to be true about how the standard gen2/Gen3 Raptor performs offroad vs a TRX, what the R will bringing to the table will truly be humbling to Ram & pretty much the whole auto industry.

You want your big power #s for the street & smoke TRXs & X5ms stop light to stop light? Go for it, but that thing is gonna be a damn madmax maniacal machine offroad lol

personally, I am perfectly fine w/ the 3.5HO - it’s the engine that got me to buy a Ford & stay w/ em (2018 & now 2020 Raptors) - they’re proven, they’re also proven to be able to handle an extra dollop of up to +100hp/TQ to the wheels w/ no sweat for 10s of thousands of miles w/ really only a tune. And a tuned 3.5HO Raptor still maintains good DD manners & excellent MPG

most Raptor owners use their truck as a “Swiss army knife” do it all daily driver- light towing, hauling crap in bed, carting family/gear around, hunting trips, light off-roading, cross country road trips & your daily Starbucks run lol

and while I’m fully aware there are plenty of people out there where $$$ is no object, a single digit gas guzzling jacked up loud ass 750hp super truck is just a little much for a DD

and if your intention is to strictly use the thing as a crazy ass “big boy toy” STRICTLY relegating it to on street stoplight racing/hoonigan stuff + beating the snot outta it offroad? Well other than needing to have the latest & greatest &/or preferring to keep a big toy stock (unlikely) & having a factory warranty- you’d really be better served getting an older 70s-80s era truck as a donor & dropping a V8 crate engine & custom build b/c you’ll go faster, jump further, & look cooler doing it than either a TRX or Raptor-R

When I first saw this post, I thought, "F#%K! I am not ready this whole long-ass post." Then I started reading it and finished every word. Great points, @Badgertits. Also, great handle. It has been making me laugh consistently for a long time.

Like many, I really do off road my truck regularly. Because of that, I don't think I would want the added weight of the R. Maybe they will balance the additional weight so that it doesn't do the same thing that is happening the the nose-heavy TRX. I do LOVE the sound of a super charger, though. I do also wonder what the MPG is going to be like on the R. That has been a big criticism of the TRX.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think for optics sake, they should bump up the HP a hair. But in all reality guys, it doesn’t matter at the end of the day.

It doesn’t matter if you’re in a $92k TRX or a $120k marked up Raptor R. When the new Model 3 smokes you, you’ll wish you saved the cash and got a regular old 450hp eco boost

G-Train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their brochure on the site talks about torque improvement but mum on the hp. We can hope it goes up but for them not to announce it will garner a lot of bad press If it is the same. Torque is more important to me and if it goes up so will the hp.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think for optics sake, they should bump up the HP a hair. But in all reality guys, it doesn’t matter at the end of the day.

It doesn’t matter if you’re in a $92k TRX or a $120k marked up Raptor R. When the new Model 3 smokes you, you’ll wish you saved the cash and got a regular old 450hp eco boost

I hear those model 3's are awesome in the whoops....

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score

What is even the point of this reply? Who in their right mind cross shops an entry level luxury EV w/ a Baja bred high performance offroad pickup truck? Eh?

I couldnt give 2 ***** if a model 3 beat me in a drag race on the street in my Raptor, gen2 tuned, gen3 base or R- I quite literally don’t even consider EVs truly a complete “vehicle” in the truest sense.....they have much more in common w/ my Polaris ATV or a boat or something- luxury item, huge depreciation, not practical, only used on occasion etc etc

I could also care less about how quick a model 3 does 0-60, I’d drive right up & over one in a Raptor R while making a bee-line for the tree-line ya dig? One vehicle is a complete swiss army “do ANYthing” pretty much beast of a rig, & the others a one trick pony that helps progressives sleep better at night b/c they think they’re better than everyone for reducing our carbon footprint (which as I’ve been over many times....purely isn’t the case)

I would like a Tesla as a 3rd vehicle as a pure luxury play & for the novelty of self driving....which is really a huge tease since it’s completely useless as the vehicle makes you grab the wheel every now & then....oh yeah @ b/c you’d immediately lose your license &/or be infinitely liable should anything happen while you’re in “self driving mode” & actually taking true advantage of it by: sleeping, getting road head, playing video games, reading, eating pizza, drinking BEER, playing checkers etc etc etc- what the F good is a self driving car if you legally can’t take any use of it!?!?

oh & the “parlor trick” of their speed? You take the model 3, s, x, I don’t give a F what model, meet me at ANY track, & I’ll race ya in 1/4 mile in my vette, you may or may not inch me out the first couple or 3 races (actually if I launch it well NO Tesla is beating a 718whp 3150lb C5Z on R888Rs....) after that it’s all progressively downhill from there. As your charge drops so does my gas tank, except an ICE gets FASTER & LIGHTER w/ less fuel, an EV stays the same weight & gets slower w/ less charge, from 80% charge & down the acceleration performance drops from there & compounds the lower it gets. @ 25-40%, it’s a whole different car

and that’s before we get into the braking/handling performance (or complete & utter lack thereof?) - so instead of meeting me at the dragstrip I’ll meet ya @ a road course w/ ya cute model 3....there you won’t have to worry bout charge performance anxiety, ya F’n Tesla will be off the track into the weeds by the 2nd lap

bahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahha

how bout we offroad race an EV rivian or hummer truck against a Rapper. In February. In Manitoba. Wonder how that’ll work out for your badass EV trucks?

like Lizzo says #truthhurts bro