New Tire Time, What's Good These Days?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I run Nitto Ridge Grapplers and now run Recon Grapplers. Got 60k+ on the Ridge Grapplers and still had good tread left (simply got too loud). Recons are awesome. Never had a single issue in cold weather, snow or ice.

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you give more info on why you say this?

I bought some Ridge Grapplers for my og Bronco that is close to done. They are SWEET looking and I read good reviews. I'm not that far off from needing tires for the Raptor and was thinking of doing the same.

I have Hankooks on there right now and they've been pretty good overall.

Completely agree with the looks. They visually more appealing than the K02 (sidewall profile of tread looks awesome!). That said, once it got really cold out (initially I had the RG’s on my Gen 1 in Kentucky and later Cincinnati) once we moved to Alaska, they performed poorly in snow, slush and sleet as well as when you got into single digit temperatures. I can recall how hard the tread compound was compared to the K02 in these types of temperatures and below. The “thumbnail” pressure test into the tread and siping (very little siping on the RG) was like trying to do the same thing into an ice cold piece of hard plastic. The K02 on the other hand would still have some pliability to it even in those extreme cold temps. I can recall the RG rear tires becoming overwhelmed quickly with much acceleration at those low temps on dry pavement. My wife had a Toyota Sequoia at the time with K02’s and while different vehicles, I had to be much more mindful of my speed, steering degree angle and braking than when driving her vehicle.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yoko Geolander G015 going on tomorrow. With less dirt lately I want something very quiet with a 3peak snowflake rating… will post pics/initial review tomorrow.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around 47k miles on my 2020 OEM KO2s. Noticing a lot of traction issues in wet weather, even when not starting from a complete stop I'm spinning the tires with acceleration. Looking at these options (in order).
1. Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T or M/T (thoughts?)
2. Stick with OEM KO2 (C-S)
3. BFG KM3
4. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R

Is there other options I should consider? I've ruled out Nitto, and probably the Falken Wildpeak (not sure how well Chinese tires hold up).
Traction issues at 47K miles, yeah Id imagine those bastards are bald AF. If you got 47K miles outta the KO2s and now have some traction issues, the answer for the next tire to get has already been answered. I’ve never gotta 47K miles out of any tire I’ve ever owned.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Traction issues at 47K miles, yeah Id imagine those bastards are bald AF. If you got 47K miles outta the KO2s and now have some traction issues, the answer for the next tire to get has already been answered. I’ve never gotta 47K miles out of any tire I’ve ever owned.

No, actually I got 42k with plenty of tread left, but like @Woolaroc I was spinning like mad in the wet. Heck, even in the dry it was pretty easy to break them loose.
I usually rock 4a, and get a couple miles of dirt pretty regularly, mostly street, fast but not stupid, not a lot of cargo hauling and periodic vacation duty.

I went to 6x for rotations this time around to address some of the “uneven” wear.

But yeah, most of my car/truck tires haven’t lasted 40k.

rngrjcw275

Reaction score
Yeah, I run Nitto Ridge Grapplers and now run Recon Grapplers. Got 60k+ on the Ridge Grapplers and still had good tread left (simply got too loud). Recons are awesome. Never had a single issue in cold weather, snow or ice.
I had the same on mine, wouldn’t run anything else now, although the Recons are supposed to be on par with them? I chewed through some MT’s in a little over 20k, to soft! I through the Trails on my 350, and towed and drove all across country.. 48k and still looked new also. They gave just doubled since the last time I bought them so that’s the negative to them. I had absolutely no issues in a Montana snow storm coming across 90.. Trucks all over, I had to slow down a bit, but was still kicking it at 75mph no issues. Sold on Trail grapplers!