GEN 2 New Mickey Thompson Baja Boss ATs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or, just move to a place with a climate where humans were meant to live and never have to buy winter tires again. Better riding season, better 4x4 season, better deer season, better wabbit season, better duck season... better every season. :p

You know what a golf course is? A horrible waste of real estate that would’ve been a great rifle range. 9 iron... pfft.

I think he’s made a few legit comparisons to illustrate the point. Tires are compromises. We don’t run slicks on the street, lest we end up in the weeds when it rains hard enough. We shouldn’t run winter tires year round. KO2’s are great all around tires for the Rap but a decent MT will absolutely handle muddy conditions with much greater effect. But on the street you’re sacrificing wet weather performance and at least some dry traction, as well as handling. big tire cleats don’t take too well to repeated, high g force side loading on pavement.

Maybe I should raise my hand? snow has my number. I’ve done track days, ride bikes, been to driving schools, do pretty well in the rain but despite multiple engagements in all manner of snow, I just do my best to avoid it and if I have to drive it, I don’t like it. If I were imprisoned ... err.. had to live in a state with hateful winters, I’d actually consider dedicated snow tires, but the math just doesn’t add up for me.

Still, I’m just wondering what’s the big deal here?

No, no, no. It’s HERESY to suggest running a proper winter tire, not blasphemy. Jayzuss. but then... what to expect from someone using a 9 iron and not a 9 mil :p

I was stationed in several deep snow states, was a HUMMER winter driver trainer @ have logged thousands of miles on light ice/snow to deep snow/roads closed deep assed snow and had BFG MT’s on my personal truck & had no issues that driver skill did not address.

nope, not the best by a long shot, but had them sipped for the icy roads & zooom zoommmm away we went.

Even drove it up to Yellowknife one winter and back & the roads were not plowed, but just driven on and packed down & the sipped MT was the best tire for that trip

All street tires are a compromise, I run summer tires on my Hellcat & winter dedicated tires in the winter, but it’s a Hellcat pushing 840hp on a mustang dyno

Might get the MT Baja AT’s just to see how they do, research says they have a dual rubber compound & it “looks” good for winter use as a compromising year round tire

Oh and a golf course is a excellent waste of a rifle/pistol range lol

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I only ran snow tires on one vehicle. Back in the early 80's I had a rwd 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix. Since then I've always had 4x4 trucks and haven't needed snow tires.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I only ran snow tires on one vehicle. Back in the early 80's I had a rwd 1981 Pontiac Grand Prix. Since then I've always had 4x4 trucks and haven't needed snow tires.
Was that the 3.8 or 301? In that Grand Prix?

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Heck…can’t we just all get along. All of us are entitled to our opinions. This badmouthing gets old after awhile.

lol it’s not a n opinion to say an MT tire will utterly blow on black ice & packed snow

didn’t someone ask specifically that?

and while you may not like my delivery, it’s also not opinion to state that a studded snow tire will demolish anything else by comparison in winter conditions

I’d be willing to bet a lot that anyone who gets fired up by these statements have never experienced driving a 4x4 truck in winter on snows vs running MTs.....I have

anyhow- I’ll refrain from further commenting, but am now damn intrigued to see how these things fair in year round conditions vs KO2s

my guess? The only laces these would be sufficient for GOOD year round use would be where it doesn’t snow much & you got wet muddy field/pasture driving.....SC comes to mind, good luck in torrential downpours tho hahahaha

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Or, just move to a place with a climate where humans were meant to live and never have to buy winter tires again. Better riding season, better 4x4 season, better deer season, better wabbit season, better duck season... better every season. :p

You know what a golf course is? A horrible waste of real estate that would’ve been a great rifle range. 9 iron... pfft.

I think he’s made a few legit comparisons to illustrate the point. Tires are compromises. We don’t run slicks on the street, lest we end up in the weeds when it rains hard enough. We shouldn’t run winter tires year round. KO2’s are great all around tires for the Rap but a decent MT will absolutely handle muddy conditions with much greater effect. But on the street you’re sacrificing wet weather performance and at least some dry traction, as well as handling. big tire cleats don’t take too well to repeated, high g force side loading on pavement.

Maybe I should raise my hand? snow has my number. I’ve done track days, ride bikes, been to driving schools, do pretty well in the rain but despite multiple engagements in all manner of snow, I just do my best to avoid it and if I have to drive it, I don’t like it. If I were imprisoned ... err.. had to live in a state with hateful winters, I’d actually consider dedicated snow tires, but the math just doesn’t add up for me.

Still, I’m just wondering what’s the big deal here?

No, no, no. It’s HERESY to suggest running a proper winter tire, not blasphemy. Jayzuss. but then... what to expect from someone using a 9 iron and not a 9 mil :p
I just want to make a note to my hairy brother lol. There’s no snow in FLA and and only thing close is granular tan silica type.

Um I like playing on both of those courses. The ones that use 9 iron’s and the ones that use 9mm’s. Each can be entertaining.
It had the crappy 3.8 that didn't live to see 100K miles. Then I put a 350 from a junk yard in it.
My brother who would turn into the Pontiac freak to this day, had a couple of Pontiac 455’s in his after he pulled that 3.8. Would have it a nicely built 400 Pontiac was the best build he ever had in it.

Mabl8r

Reaction score
I recently purchased the Load E LT 315/70R17 (4wd.com) for my 2019 after enjoying the KO2s for 40k miles. I wanted to try something different that still had 3 peak rating.

After a week on them (all pavement miles) I don't notice much of a difference in the way the truck handles.

I knocked the pressure down to (cold) 36 rear 38 front from the installed 50 psi. Makes for a softer ride but the contact patch (chalk test) in the rear still isn't full width.

Anyone know if it's just the natural formed shape of the tire to flatten with load? I don't want to go any lower on pressure while on pavement.

Last edited:

dhuff86

Reaction score
Had to order from 4wp took a week to get em. Great looking tire very aggressive they do seem a little heavy but hey it's a big tire at 37 inches. They behave well on the road are very quiet similar to ko2 or st maxx. They are 50k rated also 3 peak rated. My st maxx coopers did well in snow so we will see how they stack up comes winter. I have a run planned for the end of August we will see how they perform offroad. They look great and ride well. Good impression so far

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol it’s not a n opinion to say an MT tire will utterly blow on black ice & packed snow

didn’t someone ask specifically that?

and while you may not like my delivery, it’s also not opinion to state that a studded snow tire will demolish anything else by comparison in winter conditions

I’d be willing to bet a lot that anyone who gets fired up by these statements have never experienced driving a 4x4 truck in winter on snows vs running MTs.....I have

anyhow- I’ll refrain from further commenting, but am now damn intrigued to see how these things fair in year round conditions vs KO2s

my guess? The only laces these would be sufficient for GOOD year round use would be where it doesn’t snow much & you got wet muddy field/pasture driving.....SC comes to mind, good luck in torrential downpours tho hahahaha
You make very good points and I agree with slot of what you say. I have been running dedicated summer/winters/track setups on my cars since 2005 and same for the wife’s SUVs. I am a strong believer that dedicated winters perform superior in cold and any things which comes with cold. I would be at a stoplight in the snow with my M3 and f150’s in 4x4 next to me would be slipping and sliding and could barely get going and I just would take off and go. Not to mention the stopping and superior maneuvering abilities of dedicated winters. I have years and 1500 laps on the race track so I am not worried about how to handle a car and need the snows as a crutch. I feel comfortable *** stepped out at 75. They are just great for avoiding all other idiots.

That being said….…. You have to have an appetite to have multiple sets of tires and dare I say comprise the look of your truck for ultimate performance. I for one never put winters on my trucks because I don’t need yet another set of wheels in my garage but I just know it will be less aggressive and more cautious in snow. Yea A/T may not be 100% in snow but if the tire is 70% compared to a tire which is 50%, you can understand why people are concerned. And……. Like in Chicago we get say 20 days a year where snow in the roads is an issue. So focusing on a tire for such short % of days also makes you re-evaluate