New Purchase: 2023 Discounted vs 2024 at MSRP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011_Shelby

Reaction score
Hello everyone - first time poster but I have lingered for quite some time as I have never gotten myself into a Raptor - until now!

This isn’t necessarily a 2023 vs. 2024 model comparison thread, I’m familiar with the differences and I like both models. I am just looking for some guidance/opinion as I am considering either a new Azure Gray lightly optioned 2023 versus a new 2024 Avalanche with twin panel moonroof and spray-in bed liner. I’d say I slightly lean the Azure Gray color as my preference.

There are three dealers with 2023’s that are nearly identical MSRP ($83.5-85.5k) and it seems they are all willing to negotiate as they have dropped their pricing $4-5k from sticker. The 2024’s are listed at sticker, looks like those are around $82k for the limited options.

Is there a threshold say where a discounted 2023 is a better deal than the 2024? Or vice versa, where the 2024 would be a better decision versus the 2023? My hangup is in the fact that, while discounted, since the 2023’s have a few more options they are coming in pretty close to the same price as a 2024, hence my dilemma. The biggest gap is about $3k less for the 2023 versus the new 2024

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF
It’s going to depend a lot on your use case.

What will you really use the truck for?
how long will you keep the truck?
Are the ’23 options potentially important to you?

Both are “new”, but the ’23’s were likely overpriced with ADM at first or they were simply late arrivals and victims of the high interest rates.
Raptors all hold value very well, but not enough to “overcome” a model year. So if your ’23 has more options, when you go to trade, it would need to be SIGNIFICANTLY more optioned than a comparable ’24 to command a higher trade or private sale price. One exception to this : the moon roof. If you can find a truck WITHOUT the moonroof, there are definitely FRF who will look at that truck more seriously than any other Raptor with a moonroof. KBB and Edmunds will tell you the moonroof truck is worth more, but in reality, it’s more of a maintenance headache that’s prone to breakage. You can definitely offroad the living daylights out of a moonroof truck, don’t get me wrong, but many of us would prefer a Rap without one.

SO... maybe take an objective look at your ownership trends, use case etc. and let us know !

OP
OP

2011_Shelby

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF
It’s going to depend a lot on your use case.

What will you really use the truck for?
how long will you keep the truck?
Are the ’23 options potentially important to you?

Both are “new”, but the ’23’s were likely overpriced with ADM at first or they were simply late arrivals and victims of the high interest rates.
Raptors all hold value very well, but not enough to “overcome” a model year. So if your ’23 has more options, when you go to trade, it would need to be SIGNIFICANTLY more optioned than a comparable ’24 to command a higher trade or private sale price. One exception to this : the moon roof. If you can find a truck WITHOUT the moonroof, there are definitely FRF who will look at that truck more seriously than any other Raptor with a moonroof. KBB and Edmunds will tell you the moonroof truck is worth more, but in reality, it’s more of a maintenance headache that’s prone to breakage. You can definitely offroad the living daylights out of a moonroof truck, don’t get me wrong, but many of us would prefer a Rap without one.

SO... maybe take an objective look at your ownership trends, use case etc. and let us know !

Thanks for having me!

To be honest it’s not likely I would be using the truck for any of its true capabilities, so 99% street driven. I do not drive my personal vehicles very often as I work mostly from home and when in the field I use a company vehicle. With that said, I just have always admired the Raptor and am fortunate to be able to afford to spend a bit more money to buy one versus other 1/2 ton options. I don’t really desire specific options, to me a “base” model is plenty and I’d appreciate even that. Not sure of length of ownership, I’d probably keep it 2-3 years and trade it in with under 20k miles for the new model if I had to guess?

Thanks for your input!

OP
OP

2011_Shelby

Reaction score
No moonroof? And you like the color? Go hard and nail that bítch! Work them over. Do us proud.

Forgive me if I mis-typed, all trucks I have seen do include the moon roof. For me, I don’t mind it but would likely never open it, I just like the idea of having a glass roof to be honest!

I always negotiate against multiple dealers!!! Thank you!

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I say get the year old one for the big sticker discount. You never know where we'll all be in a year, it may not even matter then.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Forgive me if I mis-typed, all trucks I have seen do include the moon roof. For me, I don’t mind it but would likely never open it, I just like the idea of having a glass roof to be honest!
You didn't mis-type, I thought lightly optioned would be no moonroof since it's one of the few options. If you get a moonroof, do the maintenance. The maintenance not called out in the manual. Then you'll be fine.