New owner of Ruby Red Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Thomas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I traded in my 2016 Ruby Red FX4 on my Raptor. that color is awesome in the sunlight all cleaned up.

Headshot450

Reaction score
That blister is about to pop! Ford has been fighting corrosion on their aluminum hoods since they started in the 90's with hoods for weight savings. My 2012 mustang has chipped all along the nose. There was a class action about this at some point. "Corrosion" is technically defined by Ford as rusted through metal, meaning you can see through the sheet metal. Clearly aluminum won't have that capability but it still looks like s*$!. Stay frosty while you're under warranty to have this covered. Look at hemming around the door also if you're in a cold climate/salt. Some guys are coating their brand new trucks, ceracoat?? I don't know.

My understanding it is iron oxides deposited on the aluminum during forming operation- stamping dies, hemming tools; then coated with primer. That wear from the tool steels onto the aluminum isn't an easy fix. I can't imagine how to wash a tool in a 20 spm transfer line, the only option is washing the part after forming which i'm sure this is done to clean lubricants and primer prep; but it's not cleaning well enough if so.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Well took it by my local Ford dealership today, and they said Ford would cover it under warranty.

So it should be good as new soon. I'll check out those other areas as well. I plan on having the truck ceramic coated after this is repaired

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why not show the dealer? I’m sure they will warranty it. Only you can decide if repainting the fender is worth it. Maybe have an expert sand it down and touch it up?

Matt Moreman of obsessedgarage.com has same issue and just had it repainted.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I
Why not show the dealer? I’m sure they will warranty it. Only you can decide if repainting the fender is worth it. Maybe have an expert sand it down and touch it up?

Matt Moreman of obsessedgarage.com has same issue and just had it repainted.

I did... I bought my Raptor 100miles away from where I live, so taking in back there would be inconvenient. I took it to my local Ford dealer and Ford warranted the repair