New member - Hoping to get into a Raptor soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been going back and forth between a Raptor or a Tundra. I had been hesitant at getting into a Raptor because of the cam phaser issues, but I am just going to pull the trigger on one and get extended warranty. If it really becomes an issue, I figure I can always sell it to get the next gen Tundra when it comes out in a year or so. Seems like bad timing to be looking at Raptors, since prices have inflated quite a bit though.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The cam phaser issue was presumably corrected back in ‘18 due to defective parts. I’ve heard of a few say they had problems after this. But how many out of all the trucks built? I wouldn’t concern myself with it at this point and keep a warranty intact as well.

Forget the next gen Tundra. We are keeping eyes on the next gen Raptor here. ‘20s are probably near or out of production now, used truck prices are up and no telling if there will be a ‘21 Raptor or when. So dealers probably won’t be giving away current inventory.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no comparison between a Raptor and Tundra; they are worlds apart in capability, design, quality, and technology. Why would you consider wasting your money on a poorly engineered vehicle outdated by 2 generations? Never mind the fact that there are few things more Un-American than buying a Japanese pickup.

The 3.5 cam phaser issue was resolved in production in mid 2018; not sure why it continues to be brought up. If you’re buying a new 2020, it will already have the updated parts. As far as worrying about issues, you might want to look into the Tundra cam tower leaks that have been occurring since the 3UR-FE debuted. Unlike Ford, Toyota has never addressed the issue so there’s still 2020s rolling off the line with the same pattern failure. They’re a nightmare to repair and require disassembling the top half of the cylinder heads, including the camshafts.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wasn’t there a class action lawsuit regarding rotted out truck frames? That would be a deal breaker for me. Still easier to replace a whole motor vs a frame!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wasn’t there a class action lawsuit regarding rotted out truck frames? That would be a deal breaker for me. Still easier to replace a whole motor vs a frame!

Yes, which they lost to the tune of $3.4 billion. They threw Dana (US frame supplier) under the bus, but the issue was the quality of metal and lack of corrosion inhibitors that Toyota themselves spec’d. The 4Runners frames rust out just as badly, and those are made in Japan by a completely unrelated supplier. Their new models still have rust issues; trucks that are only a few years old have alarming levels of degradation on their frames and chassis components.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, which they lost to the tune of $3.4 billion. They threw Dana (US frame supplier) under the bus, but the issue was the quality of metal and lack of corrosion inhibitors that Toyota themselves spec’d. The 4Runners frames rust out just as badly, and those are made in Japan by a completely unrelated supplier. Their new models still have rust issues; trucks that are only a few years old have alarming levels of degradation on their frames and chassis components.

Sounds like they are using cheap old tech. That won’t suffice in today’s world for many reasons.

Tolliver

Reaction score
Been going back and forth between a Raptor or a Tundra. I had been hesitant at getting into a Raptor because of the cam phaser issues, but I am just going to pull the trigger on one and get extended warranty. If it really becomes an issue, I figure I can always sell it to get the next gen Tundra when it comes out in a year or so. Seems like bad timing to be looking at Raptors, since prices have inflated quite a bit though.
I came from a 2018 Tundra and there is no comparison. You will enjoy the Raptor. I would definitely recommend pulling the trigger.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never understand how someone can be looking at a Raptor vs another 1/2 Ton option. They aren't comparable. A Tundra is dull, mundane, and nowhere near as capable. Definitely a tough time to get into a Raptor though, with inventory low and prices sky high. I considered trading mine in and waiting out the gap until the Gen 3 drops, because the trade in value jumped by about $10k.

SVTWillis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2016 TRD off road tundra and got rid of it for my 2014 Raptor. No comparison between the two. Also, check the safety rating on the Tundra. It placed last against all other trucks.