New Falken Wildpeak AT4W

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NateMob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This new AT4W gained some weight based on them going from a 2ply sidewall on every size to a 3ply sidewall across the board. A huge improvement and welcome update for anyone using these in a scenario where a flat puts you in a dangerous position.

Hal993

Reaction score
I want to love them, but I am finishing up 3 days of snow driving on K02s... grip like mad, lightweight, and they last a good while. The first hour or 2 when it rains (oils, dirt) is the one area where I would say K02s are weak, but... the AT4W... 76lbs for a C rated is too heavy for me. That's almost an added 13lbs of rotational (unsprung too) weight per tire to get going and get stopped.

-though did someone debunk rotational weight fuel efficiency penalties? ... at any rate - emergency stopping and ... elective launching would certainly be hindered by adding 13lbs per tire.

OP
OP
Mj1anderson

Mj1anderson

Reaction score
I want to love them, but I am finishing up 3 days of snow driving on K02s... grip like mad, lightweight, and they last a good while. The first hour or 2 when it rains (oils, dirt) is the one area where I would say K02s are weak, but... the AT4W... 76lbs for a C rated is too heavy for me. That's almost an added 13lbs of rotational (unsprung too) weight per tire to get going and get stopped.

-though did someone debunk rotational weight fuel efficiency penalties? ... at any rate - emergency stopping and ... elective launching would certainly be hindered by adding 13lbs per tire.
I understand the weight gain and that does concern me but I'm no longer a big ko2 fan.
I've run 3 sets of them and am not going back.
Personally I'm not a huge fan of their performance on snow and ice
Also to your point they suck on wet roads.
Than there is the increased road noise as the ko2's age, they get so damn loud.
I live on a mountain in western SD and am looking for better winter performance
Hence the appeal of the Falkens and the Mickey Thompson baja boss AT
I also debated straight up winter tire but they seem impossible to find these days
Would have bought some of the nokians l2t or lt3 but they are nowhere to be found.
Perhaps I'll only run the Falkens or Mikeys in the winter.
Decisions, decisions
Thank you for your feedback tho, much appreciated

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the weight gain and that does concern me but I'm no longer a big ko2 fan.
I've run 3 sets of them and am not going back.
Personally I'm not a huge fan of their performance on snow and ice
Also to your point they suck on wet roads.
Than there is the increased road noise as the ko2's age, they get so damn loud.
I live on a mountain in western SD and am looking for better winter performance
Hence the appeal of the Falkens and the Mickey Thompson baja boss AT
I also debated straight up winter tire but they seem impossible to find these days
Would have bought some of the nokians l2t or lt3 but they are nowhere to be found.
Perhaps I'll only run the Falkens or Mikeys in the winter.
Decisions, decisions
Thank you for your feedback tho, much appreciated
Get the Falken AT3W while you can then, those are great tires. Give the AT4 a few years to go through the ringer and upgrade if they are still what you want at that time.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How much more heavier is it than the AT3?

How much more grip does it provide? I am still on my AT3W and I have a staggering 115k on them... So I am VERY happy.