New BFG Baja T/A 35" "Project" Tread (DOT)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

Ronky

Reaction score
Very interested to hear how these wear and more importantly noise. So are they louder than stock?

Either way, they look killer!

So far so good. Got an appointment at my dealer tomorrow morning to recalibrate TPMS down to, maybe 33 or so. While the warning light isn't so bothersome (it goes off with a click of "ok"), the shop owes me a favor so I'm cashing it in.

Not enough time on them to really gauge wear. Will report on this after further use.

As far as noise, that's a tough one. The noise isn't so much louder as it is differently-toned. The stock tires had a lower, deeper rolling tone to them. These are higher pitched. Next time a semi flys by you on the highway, pay attention. It almost sounds akin to that. There's definitely a "wah - wah - wah" but I sort of noticed that in the stock shoes as well. Sound only really becomes evident at higher rolling speed, say above 40. By no means however do I find it annoying. I mean, this is a ******* truck with bombproof rubber on it now ... If she purrs a little, that's her gig. As long as she eats curbs in the concrete jungle I work in, she's permitted to let off a little steam! That's the way I look at it anyway. If I wanted silence, I would have bought a luxury import, with day-laborer-pissed-on butterscotch oiled napa baby cow leather seats! But I opted for the muscle instead. Alright, alright ... the "commercial truck" tire sound sound makes me feel like more of a man. Jk.

But to summarize:

Louder than stock - Ever so slightly. Immediate tonal difference apparent.

Tire Wear - TBD. But I'll tell you what, that friggin rubber compound they use feels like it's a LOT stronger than the stock rubber. The lugs do have less "give" ... Hence, my using these in summer months only.

On a final note, zero "teeth rattling" or "driving over bricks" as others have suggested. Once these things get a little heated up, they do seem to run smooth on pavement. As for the flat spotting, it's not a violent first 5 miles either. My morning drives have begun between 60 - 67 degrees. Only thing I notice is a VERY SLIGHT upward-wobble feeling. By no means does it throw me out of my seat or rattle my brain bucket. It begins as a minor, repetitive, speed-dependent upward wobble feeling. It progressively fades down to smooth, for me, in about 1/2 mile. And I'm looking for it. Once I stop looking and analyzing, I don't even notice.

I think they make the Raptor look mil-spec!!

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

want to sell me your old ones?

I need more rubber to burn off. ;)

Right now I'd say most certainly! Come the first snowfall, I'd curse your name out loud!

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Just stay away from snow and ice. There's not a sipe to be seen on those.

I know! Beautifully bare. Nothing but solid chunks of highly-engineered rubber compound.

Problem is, the truck is brand new. Tires are brand new. I don't know which to stare at while I'm sipping my morning coffee. They both get me psyched.

Lance Vincent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good. Got an appointment at my dealer tomorrow morning to recalibrate TPMS down to, maybe 33 or so. While the warning light isn't so bothersome (it goes off with a click of "ok"), the shop owes me a favor so I'm cashing it in.

Not enough time on them to really gauge wear. Will report on this after further use.

As far as noise, that's a tough one. The noise isn't so much louder as it is differently-toned. The stock tires had a lower, deeper rolling tone to them. These are higher pitched. Next time a semi flys by you on the highway, pay attention. It almost sounds akin to that. There's definitely a "wah - wah - wah" but I sort of noticed that in the stock shoes as well. Sound only really becomes evident at higher rolling speed, say above 40. By no means however do I find it annoying. I mean, this is a ******* truck with bombproof rubber on it now ... If she purrs a little, that's her gig. As long as she eats curbs in the concrete jungle I work in, she's permitted to let off a little steam! That's the way I look at it anyway. If I wanted silence, I would have bought a luxury import, with day-laborer-pissed-on butterscotch oiled napa baby cow leather seats! But I opted for the muscle instead. Alright, alright ... the "commercial truck" tire sound sound makes me feel like more of a man. Jk.

But to summarize:

Louder than stock - Ever so slightly. Immediate tonal difference apparent.

Tire Wear - TBD. But I'll tell you what, that friggin rubber compound they use feels like it's a LOT stronger than the stock rubber. The lugs do have less "give" ... Hence, my using these in summer months only.

On a final note, zero "teeth rattling" or "driving over bricks" as others have suggested. Once these things get a little heated up, they do seem to run smooth on pavement. As for the flat spotting, it's not a violent first 5 miles either. My morning drives have begun between 60 - 67 degrees. Only thing I notice is a VERY SLIGHT upward-wobble feeling. By no means does it throw me out of my seat or rattle my brain bucket. It begins as a minor, repetitive, speed-dependent upward wobble feeling. It progressively fades down to smooth, for me, in about 1/2 mile. And I'm looking for it. Once I stop looking and analyzing, I don't even notice.

I think they make the Raptor look mil-spec!!

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Right now I'd say most certainly! Come the first snowfall, I'd curse your name out loud!

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

I know! Beautifully bare. Nothing but solid chunks of highly-engineered rubber compound.

Problem is, the truck is brand new. Tires are brand new. I don't know which to stare at while I'm sipping my morning coffee. They both get me psyched.

Same here on the flat spots with mine. Was thinking about some race ramps.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Note also i saw a post some where that a 37 BFG is lighter than a 35 grabber.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Flat Stoppers - Race Ramps

OP
OP
R

Ronky

Reaction score
Same here on the flat spots with mine. Was thinking about some race ramps.

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Note also i saw a post some where that a 37 BFG is lighter than a 35 grabber.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Flat Stoppers - Race Ramps

Considering how much we spent on these tires ... Why leave them parked on the dirty ground? :waytogo:

I wonder if that "cradling" really helps ...

OP
OP
R

Ronky

Reaction score
Gassed Up

Nitrogen went in today. Sorta cool to watch the process. Kinda ****** myself though because I had the TPMS reset to account for the 35 lbs in the Bajas, then had the nitrogen inflation done. Drove off and TPMS went haywire again!

Dealer did me a favor with the TPMS reset so I felt like an ass going back in for round 2. I think I may just order that $35 hand-held module to do it myself.

Attachments

• Nitrogen Inflation.jpg
    Nitrogen Inflation.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Nitrogen Inflation 2.jpg
    Nitrogen Inflation 2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
R

Ronky

Reaction score
As a follow-up, I specifically asked whether running this tool would just "advise" the SJB (TPMS controlling computer) of location change, or would it actually record, as a new standard, the new PSI I was running at. The service tech told me once I had my preferred PSI set, the tool would not only "orient" the individual sensors, it would record the new pressure.

I'm not completely sure if I buy it or not. The crux of the question is this: Does the reset procedure called for in the manual and aided by this tool simply tell the SJB of the physical location of each sensor or does it do this in conjunction with "learning" of new PSI settings.

What I can tell you is that we test drove around for a bit and the warning light did not come back on. It appeared that what he did worked. (At least until I had the nitrogen re-inflation).

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Not to complicate the discussion ...

Say I get the new PSI working after a re-learn and all seems fine (with this tool) ... My new question is whether a different pressure in the spare would cause a system fault because of a greater than 7 lb difference between that spare an the 4 new tires (set at 35 lbs each).

Would really help to have a tech's insight. Better yet, a rep from the actual manufacturer of the sensors!