School me on Baja T/A "project" tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the end people are going to run what they want regardless of laws and opinions on a forum. DOT approved or not I bet there are not 10 people in my neck of the woods that would know the difference, probably because its not an area with many prerunners or race trucks. Just like beadlock wheels that are for offroad use only. I have ran both General and BFG non DOT tires and never had an issue along with beadlocks too. Maybe someone can research this but I would like to know how many lawsuits and prosecutions have came from running tires that were not DOT approved.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the end people are going to run what they want regardless of laws and opinions on a forum. DOT approved or not I bet there are not 10 people in my neck of the woods that would know the difference, probably because its not an area with many prerunners or race trucks. Just like beadlock wheels that are for offroad use only. I have ran both General and BFG non DOT tires and never had an issue along with beadlocks too. Maybe someone can research this but I would like to know how many lawsuits and prosecutions have came from running tires that were not DOT approved.

I personally know of one----several people were named not just the seller....... In the end after over 3 years the insurance company settled with the family. My buddy who own the company that SOLD the tires DID not even put them on paid a portion of the settlement through his insurance company. He is still pissed off about it.

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the person that bought the tires and put them on the vehicle they owned getting sued, but the place that sold the tires? That would be like someone suing Lane automotive or summit racing because they sold me some Hoosiers to run on my modified and I put them on my Mustang and drove it around on the street and caused an accident. I know the world as a whole is sue happy and all but I would think any lawyer worth a shit could fight and show pretty easily the responsibility rests with the person that knowingly bought the tires and put them on a street driven vehicle.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh hell yes---to make it worse the accident happened in Mexico. Two people were killed a father and son. They sued everyone including the manufacturer of the suspension system. Now you should see the waiver that is signed when you have work done on the suspension now. Tires that are non DOT are the same way. Insurance companies sometimes do things that do not make sense in the non legal world lol.

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh hell yes---to make it worse the accident happened in Mexico. Two people were killed a father and son. They sued everyone including the manufacturer of the suspension system. Now you should see the waiver that is signed when you have work done on the suspension now. Tires that are non DOT are the same way. Insurance companies sometimes do things that do not make sense in the non legal world lol.

Sorry for the grave digging.

I had read on another forums some blurbs where someone claimed that it is legal to drive non-DOT tires on the street - it's juts not legal for the manufacturer to sell these tires to the public.
Is there any truth to that?

SDHQJASON

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope. Not true. The chances of an officer catching that you have Non-DOT tires is fairly slim. Unless of course they look at the sidewall where it says "For Offroad Use Only". Same deal as running real beadlocks on the street. They can bust you for it. The bigger deal comes into play if you are ever in an accident. They will look for a reason why the accident happened if you have a heavily modified vehicle (Sway bar removed, Non-DOT tires, etc.)

This being said, I have had Non-DOT tires on my dailies and never had a problem. Just something to be mindful of...

Steele16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nearing 20k on non dot projects here and they literally show no wear on the fronts, and very very little on the rear

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The non DOT BAJAs have reputation of being bulletproof. How do the DOT BAJAs compare? Are they as "bulletproof "?

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The non DOT BAJAs have reputation of being bulletproof. How do the DOT BAJAs compare? Are they as "bulletproof "?

The NON-DOT race tires supposedly have Kevlar sidewall re-enforcement which the DOT - retail tires don't.

I also believe the race tires come with different compounds - for sure the KRTs come in soft and harder compounds.

---------- Post added at 05:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 AM ----------

Nope. Not true. The chances of an officer catching that you have Non-DOT tires is fairly slim. Unless of course they look at the sidewall where it says "For Offroad Use Only". Same deal as running real beadlocks on the street. They can bust you for it. The bigger deal comes into play if you are ever in an accident. They will look for a reason why the accident happened if you have a heavily modified vehicle (Sway bar removed, Non-DOT tires, etc.)

This being said, I have had Non-DOT tires on my dailies and never had a problem. Just something to be mindful of...

Thanks so much for the feedback! I had been running non dots on my daily for a while as well. But it's time for a new set - and I was contemplating going with 37" Baja race this time, and having hopes they might be legal after reading something on race-desert...

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a couple questions about these tires, as well. Specifically interested in a 37x13.5. I'll probably end up with the Toyo MT, but wanted to at least consider other options first, especially since the Toyo is so heavy.

Does anybody know the difference between the compounds in the Baja T/A KRT and the Baja T/A KRT-B?

Also, my truck is not a daily driver. How bad is the flat spot issue and would the KRT(-B) be ok in colder temps/snow?

I am aware of the DOT issue.

Thanks.