School me on Baja T/A "project" tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The non DOT tires are not made to go through the heat cycling on the street. Much tougher environment that they are not tested that if you are in a accident you will have possible criminal charges as well as the civil matters to deal with. In addition your insurance company will not cover you.

Just be advised and know what you are getting into. Could ruin your life in more ways that one. Is looking cool or stupid worth it--got to know your limitations?

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regulations Section | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Are you sure about criminal charges being possible for non-DOT tires?

I am in Nevada and the state law / DMV here also does not specify the need of DOT approved tires just like Federal regulations. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dmvnv.com%2Fpdfforms%2Fequipreqmv.pdf&ei=DGwYVbKpDq3IsQTLhILYBg&usg=AFQjCNFyyZNUUgLomy7p3HkRHF52UGGn9Q&sig2=pfCZ9oMHJ8a_M2dDzr797A
However in case of motorcycles there is a clear requirement to run DOT approved tires.

CA state law requires DOT tires - so it varies from state to state.

I am still contemplating getting another set of non-DOT, I personally trust them more for the type desert running I am doing, but still trying get a better understanding of the legality.

There are lots of anecdotal stories and opinions out on various different forums but they usually start with "I heard" or " I know a guy" but I haven't been able to find any hard facts of lawsuits regarding race tires in car accidents. I don't really know how to search for this stuff - but maybe someone can guide me in the right direction.

I also would love to find some verifiable situations where an insurance company was successfully able to deny a claim because of running race tires. I just can't imagine a situation in which an insurance company could successfully deny a claim just because of the tires not having DOT approval, without the tire being the clear culprit. Not saying they wouldn't try...

Tire manufacturers are not allowed to sell tires the public without DOT approval by law, but my current understanding so far is that at least in Nevada there are no laws to prohibit running such tires as long as they meet the federal and state guidelines.

EDIT:
Actually found a great resource with good info on local state laws:
http://www.liftlaws.com/index.htm
Shows all the different state laws on mods for vehicle. WIsh I would have found that a long time ago! Time to find a new insurance company for me.

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
EDIT:
Actually found a great resource with good info on local state laws:
Lift Laws | Suspension Lift Laws By State
Shows all the different state laws on mods for vehicle. WIsh I would have found that a long time ago! Time to find a new insurance company for me.

Very helpful. If that link is correct, NY does not explicitly require DOT tires.

As a general rule, though, I do think everyone should still consider this a risk factor. Attorneys will sue over anything. And prosecutors are liberal psychopaths. I do know of a case where a prosecutor went after a home owner HARD because he had hand loaded the rounds he used to defend his home. These people are out of touch with reality.

Now, can anybody tell me more about the flat spotting and whether the Baja T/A KRTs are any good in cold temps/snow?

rubberdust

Reaction score
Very helpful. If that link is correct, NY does not explicitly require DOT tires.

As a general rule, though, I do think everyone should still consider this a risk factor. Attorneys will sue over anything. And prosecutors are liberal psychopaths. I do know of a case where a prosecutor went after a home owner HARD because he had hand loaded the rounds he used to defend his home. These people are out of touch with reality.

Now, can anybody tell me more about the flat spotting and whether the Baja T/A KRTs are any good in cold temps/snow?

Baja T/A Baja T/A KR & Baja T/A KR2 will all flat spot, the lower your inflation the worse it tends to get. At temps much below 45 degrees they loose much of the elasticity in the tread rubber resulting in lost grip. Wouldn't be my choice for snowy or icy roads!

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know the KRs flat spot pretty bad and are absolutely miserable in the snow.

Baja T/A Baja T/A KR & Baja T/A KR2 will all flat spot, the lower your inflation the worse it tends to get. At temps much below 45 degrees they loose much of the elasticity in the tread rubber resulting in lost grip. Wouldn't be my choice for snowy or icy roads!

That's too bad. I really love the look of these tires and I want the extra traction a 13.5" provides. I'll have to stick with the monstrously heavy Toyos, I guess.

Thanks for the info guys.

rubberdust

Reaction score
That's too bad. I really love the look of these tires and I want the extra traction a 13.5" provides. I'll have to stick with the monstrously heavy Toyos, I guess.

Thanks for the info guys.

Lots of choices the greater width actually helps more with flotation than traction. Generally more aggressive mud tires aren't great in snow & ice, while all terrain tires sacrifice mud traction to get better snow & ice.
Making your list of priorities what's really important to YOU will help.
Is snow more important than mud? Is mileage more important than traction? Is noise more important than mud? Is durability more important than ride?
etc.
Once you've done that go get the tires that match your list the best.

The Baja KR2 while tough as they come & great traction in the dirt isn't the answer for snow & ride

Goodyear DuraTrac is pretty nice there's been a number of new all terrain that have come out in the last year

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Glo what kind of tires are on the g in your profile pic?

These were Nitto Trail Grapplers in about 34.5/12/18. Great tires in terms of sidewall durability and virtually no chunking on rough roads. But not the greatest tire for icy snowy roads...rubber too hard and when it gets cold...

Attachments

• nittog55glo.jpg
    nittog55glo.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 92
  • g55glo.jpg
    g55glo.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 84

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 30 years of driving in Montana on ice n snow. My BFG Mud terrains that I had siped when new were some OG the best all around snow and ice tires I've ever had. Plus in the muck in the summer they did great. Drove them year round. All conditions. The siping was key for the snow and ice.