Need Your Help! To buy or not? Pics attached

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tabshim

Reaction score
I could feel the great enthusiasm in your words and getting the raptor. I have the same truck though 2020 so my advice is to hold your horses, look at it more objectively and balance your checks accordingly. Something went wrong under the hood,,
Welcome aboard

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey FordTechOne, my truck is going in tomorrow for the dreaded cam phaser surgery. I'm Definitely gonna make sure they're using the (CD) phasers, my question is since the work is getting done mid April am I to early for the software update? Will I still need the update since they're doing the job? Or will I have to bring it back for the update next month. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I saw cam phasers and jumped on it.

The TSB specifies the CD part; they won't get the claim paid without it. The software update is supposed to be out in May, so in your case you can get the hardware replaced now and then have them update the software at a later date. I don't believe the software update is critical if you have the latest part revision; I have not heard of a failure of the CD level part even without the latest software. My guess is that it's a preventative measure for the older part numbers to reduce the chance of a hardware failure.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
The TSB specifies the CD part; they won't get the claim paid without it. The software update is supposed to be out in May, so in your case you can get the hardware replaced now and then have them update the software at a later date. I don't believe the software update is critical if you have the latest part revision; I have not heard of a failure of the CD level part even without the latest software. My guess is that it's a preventative measure for the older part numbers to reduce the chance of a hardware failure.

Do you know what the software update entails?

To OP, just make sure someone that is competent really checks out the wiring well.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey good luck with the inspection. The truck seems like a pretty good price if the only things that turn out to be roughed up is the engine cover and the hood insulation. Otherwise you could be paying 75k right now in some cases.

But you still spending 67k and that’s a lot of good hard earned money in most cases. Make sure that truck is right otherwise and do have them get deep in there, when looking it over. These trucks have so many places critters can get into.

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
Problem is used prices are insane at the moment

Welcome to the place.

Yes, used truck prices are crazy. I just sold my 2018 802A to givemethevin.com for $60,500. I paid $60,900 two years ago. It had 21K when I bought it and when I sold it had 40K miles. I’m certainly going to miss the truck. Best truck I’ve ever owned. But I just couldn’t turn down $28K equity.

I have a Bronco Badlands on order.

metaphysician

Reaction score
Carmax will probably say their price factors in the condition under the hood. True or not, won't matter; they're fine letting you walk. Good idea for a thorough inspection, especially for wires, hoses, insulation, etc. I would walk if they find anything.

I just looked under my hood. The dirty spot on the hood liner is above a cavity of the battery and core support. I don't think it's related to the battery. Maybe some dirt/pollen that found it's way in the engine bay.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you know what the software update entails?

To OP, just make sure someone that is competent really checks out the wiring well.

The the bulletin isn’t out yet, but they rarely provide info on what specifically has been changed, as it’s not relevant to the software update procedure.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If no wiring damage from the rodent, then that's a solid deal in this market. But I would pay a Ford tech an hour of their time to try to find any trace of rodent damage. If they chewed on any wires, and it creates a problem down the road, it will be impossible to diagnose.

OP
OP
PBARaptor

PBARaptor

Reaction score
Hey good luck with the inspection. The truck seems like a pretty good price if the only things that turn out to be roughed up is the engine cover and the hood insulation. Otherwise you could be paying 75k right now in some cases.

But you still spending 67k and that’s a lot of good hard earned money in most cases. Make sure that truck is right otherwise and do have them get deep in there, when looking it over. These trucks have so many places critters can get into.
Agreed, it's still a lot of coin. Already got the inspections lined up. Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
PBARaptor

PBARaptor

Reaction score
Welcome to the place.

Yes, used truck prices are crazy. I just sold my 2018 802A to givemethevin.com for $60,500. I paid $60,900 two years ago. It had 21K when I bought it and when I sold it had 40K miles. I’m certainly going to miss the truck. Best truck I’ve ever owned. But I just couldn’t turn down $28K equity.

I have a Bronco Badlands on order.
Congrats, bronco is going to be amazing I feel, especially with all the upgrades avail straight from the factory! (former Jeep owner)