Need Your Help! To buy or not? Pics attached

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PBARaptor

Reaction score
Hello everyone! New member here. Love the forum and so glad to have found such a great community for all to share their love for the Raptor!!

I am scheduled to pick up my Ford Raptor from Carmax next week but was able to go in and take a look at the truck today. 2019 black screw with 802A. $67k with 16k miles-amazing deal I feel. Did a drive and thorough walk around. They're still waiting on the title from out of state so the final purchase has to wait until then.

When I opened up the hood, I saw a few things and wanted your guys' opinion on what you think it could be from? The engine cover looked chewed up and I saw what looks like (animal?) hair on the battery terminal and a few other spots. There was also a big "explosion" looking dusting on the hood liner. Not sure if the battery exploded at some point or if an animal got in there?

Thinking if I should pass on this truck or not. Any help/advise would be appreciated!

tempImageUobSlG.png

tempImagexBQhUV.png

tempImage6iDH8i.png

tempImagezj8RiO.png

tempImagelGYBUN.png

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep that’s a critter. Probably doesn’t come with the truck so if the wiring still looks ok and no Xmas tree dash lights it’s probably fine. Good deal IMO. Prices are dumb right now.

Azrael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely looks like an animal got in. That itself creates a huge concern. Can check the VIN through OASIS at Ford dealer service to see if it had any wiring issues, or even if it had the cam phasers replaced yet.

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a good deal, IF there was not damage, but there is.

I would factor in the cost of replacing the engine cover, hood liner, etc.

I suggest that you see if there is a satisfaction guarantee where you could take delivery, have it assessed by mechanic who is proficient at checking the electrical, and have him check it thoroughly. If there is a money back guarantee then send it back if there are issues.

If it checks-out, then stick with it and purchase the replacement parts that were damaged. It is a crime to let a Raptor engine bay look like that. Even though I don't look at my engine often, I would know what lurks beneath, and that would certainly taint one of the many great things about Raptor ownership: the well thought-out aesthetics of this beauty.

Could be decent find if you don't have to put yourself at risk.

OP
OP
PBARaptor

PBARaptor

Reaction score
Thank you so much guys for the replies!! No lights, thankfully. No funky smells but we did smell some rubber when we turned on the air conditioning at first, then quickly went away.

I'm worried it got infested with mice, rats, etc because I know they can do some major damage to a vehicle once inside. My wife did notice some tape in a few areas on the wiring, so we'll inspect it closer next time for actual damage.

I actually will be taking it on the 24 hour Carmax test drive next week and told them that I plan on Ford inspecting it thoroughly before moving forward. Called two local dealers in my area and will be setting it up.

OP
OP
PBARaptor

PBARaptor

Reaction score
Oh and any thoughts on the dust explosion on the hood liner? I believe the battery sits in the area close to it once it's closed. Not sure if it exploded or leaked, etc..

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mice.

Check all wiring. Hoses everything.

Have them replace engine cover and hood insulator. Or else negotiate an incredible deal with extended warranty and drive the shiat out of her.

mchurch0211

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carmax does not negotiate just FYI. You are just a number to them If you don’t buy they don’t care. They can not replace a 802a and sell for same price. That truck is bringing 70k plus now in the current market. If you don’t feel good I would pass

OP
OP
PBARaptor

PBARaptor

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback everyone. Going to have the dealer and an independent check on it when I get the chance.

Agreed-hoses, wiring, anything and everything

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20