Need new tires, maybe wheels too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

houtex1

Reaction score
I don't mind the hazing. I'm guilty of it myself. Sometimes it's just fun.

Narrowed it down to 3. I'll post pics and review once it's done.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 17" bead locks from the 17 and 18 MY look great and the KO2s or Nitto Ridge Grapplers are the only tires to sonsider imo.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stick with just the tires. 20’s look silly on a raptor IMO

agree with what he said. The amount of rubber in the sidewall with the factory wheels are part of the suspension. You jack that all up when you move to a larger wheel and smaller side wall. All you are going to do is make your truck ride like crap. And be less capable for when you do need it off road.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could change out the wheels for another 17" without ******** up the ride though, correct? If you really aren't happy with the look, I would find another 17" that you like better without resorting to the default "go bigger".

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
go w/ 22"s & swap out the fox shocks for some magride from a Denali....then you'll REALLY have people busting your balls lol!!!!

Seriously though.....here's the truth, when it comes to adding 20" wheels &/or 37"s to a Raptor - there is no net positive or net neutral scenario. You are gaining aesthetics ONLY for the most part unless you're modding alot more in conjunction to accommodate/offset the negative aspects of the 20"/37"s. Its gonna be a compromise - you're giving up some combo of braking/acceleration, MPGs, ride quality, bushing/bearing/ball joint/brakes wear rate/longevity OH - and you can risk having your warranty voided for some vaguely related part....like a torsen diff, T-case, bearing, TC etc.

Ironically all for the sake of LOOKS on a truck that specifically runs 17"s w/ 35"s to not just look badass, but perform as such

OP
OP
H

houtex1

Reaction score
More than happy with the looks.

Ride quality is as smooth as before. Not noticing a difference.
There is a slight, although very slight, lag in take off. Before I would not intend to and would sometimes get a little tire scratch on take offs. Now I have to step on it if I want to do that. Not sure if it was always that way or if it was the worn tires from before.