Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

Oldraptor 1

Reaction score
All great advice. I like the advice of having a mechanic checking the truck out, but the truck is almost 200 miles away, and my mechanic is here. Another one has come up that is closer to home, a 2014 with around 90,000 miles for $39,000 which seems to be a good deal. It seems with the high gas prices the used Raptor market is growing. Is the extra money for the 2014 and lower miles worth the the $8000 difference is the question.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
All great advice. I like the advice of having a mechanic checking the truck out, but the truck is almost 200 miles away, and my mechanic is here. Another one has come up that is closer to home, a 2014 with around 90,000 miles for $39,000 which seems to be a good deal. It seems with the high gas prices the used Raptor market is growing. Is the extra money for the 2014 and lower miles worth the the $8000 difference is the question.

Honestly I don't think it is the gas prices. People are getting their Gen 3s.

Nothing hurts with test drives. Go drive them all until one speaks to you. Then dig into it's past.

OP
OP
O

Oldraptor 1

Reaction score
The 2013 with 150,000 miles seems at least according to the car fax to have been serviced a little better. Oil changes consistent and transmission fluid etc. flushed and changed on a regular basis. The Fox shots worry me a bit as do possible cam phasers.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
cam phasers were not a prolific issue on the 5.4/6.2 Raptor motors. It was primarily an issue on the 3.5TT first gen through about 2014(?) and -some- early 2nd gen 2015-2019 models. There were a subset of 3.5TT HO from ’17-’19 that also had the failure. but not really relevant to this discussion unless you start looking at 2017-2018 trucks.

On the 2014 model, I would say low to mid 30’s is a reasonable offer. While the used market is a bit lopsided right now, people who are really tight are not going for discretionary trucks, and people with discretionary trucks are being squeezed a bit more due to fuel prices. So both Jen Juan and Jen Too trucks have taken a bit of a secondary market hit in the last 2 months or so, but not as much as you’d like as a consumer.

I’m not turned off by a car with over 100k miles, IF it’s been well cared for and it fits in with my intended purpose. the ’14 with ’90k is a bit more attractive to me though if it turns out to be a good truck and there’s room to negotiate. That’s just me.

OP
OP
O

Oldraptor 1

Reaction score
Good to know about the cam phasers. It seems like these V8 Raptor engines are capable of 300,000 plus miles if well maintained, which makes the '13 really attractive as the maintenance seems to have been a little better. Other than checking for leakage on the Fox shocks is there any other way to test them or see if they have been replaced or rebuilt?
I really appreciate all the useful info.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know about the cam phasers. It seems like these V8 Raptor engines are capable of 300,000 plus miles if well maintained, which makes the '13 really attractive as the maintenance seems to have been a little better. Other than checking for leakage on the Fox shocks is there any other way to test them or see if they have been replaced or rebuilt?
I really appreciate all the useful info.
Definitely a wise investment going gen1 so you don’t worry about the cam phaser failures that the 3.5 ecoboost suffers from. I will get burned by smurfslayer and fordattackone, but ecoboost has inherent design issues that they won’t acknowledge. The V8 raptor is way less trouble to own and operate.