Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldraptor 1

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a potential Raptor owner in the near future. I have wanted one of these trucks for awhile, but just have not been able to afford a newer model. I have found a 2013 with 150,000 miles, but it's super clean and looks new. It has had 2 owners, and judging by the Carfax looks like it has been well maintained. I won't be adding much if anything to it, just planning on keeping it stock. Checked into getting an extended warranty through Carshield, and it seems reasonable for about $100 a month. What do you think? Should I pull the trigger? Had a 01 Lightning back in the day and loved it, and kept it stock as well.

3Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't speak to the specific raptor, since you didn't mention price. Should be reliable for you if well maintained. I have no direct experience with Carshield, but I have heard many on this forum say they are not fans. Maybe better to take the $100 a month and put it in savings as a maintenance / repair fund?

OP
OP
O

Oldraptor 1

Reaction score
Can't speak to the specific raptor, since you didn't mention price. Should be reliable for you if well maintained. I have no direct experience with Carshield, but I have heard many on this forum say they are not fans. Maybe better to take the $100 a month and put it in savings as a maintenance / repair fund?
Yea, I guess the price would have helped. Price is $31,000.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
On a 10 y.o. truck it’s got about average mileage give or take. You’re at that tipping point though where parts tend to start failing with greater frequency, so it really depends on your tolerance for a possible lack of reliability going forward.

If you’re keeping it bone stock and sticking to a decent maintenance regimen, you should be fine on the powertrain for a little while but I’d be looking hard at the suspension, bushings, bearings, frame, shocks are probably a bit tired. You need to be looking at potential down the road expenditures.

For the market, 31k may not be bad, but, it’s more than I’d want to spend for what you describe. I’m more in the 27-28k upper limit range myself.

I also had a 2001 Lightning; agree, that was a fantastic truck.

OP
OP
O

Oldraptor 1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Starting to have second thoughts. If I knew the extended warranty would cover most things, it would make it a much easier decision, but when your financing, those repairs become a much larger issue.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah. if you’re talking discretionary money, meaning you are spending this money on the truck and it fulfills a designated purpose and only that truck will do, then yeah, go for it but do so knowing you may have some expenditures coming your way.

If you’re going to have to finance all, most, heck maybe even half the purchase I’d say think hard about this one, get a LONG test drive.
I’m not against financing a ‘fun’ vehicle or discretionary vehicle, but do so wisely and with your eyes open.

I’m colored by my experience, and I own a Rap, so it’s easy for me to poo-poo 31k for this truck, but not so much for you - the one looking at it and trying to get into a Rap.

If it were me, I would like to think I would be rational enough about this much expenditure to have an independent mechanic look at the truck and make some assessments. It sounds like it’s in good exterior condition

Think about it and if you keep coming back to it, then start negotiating and make a mechanic review part of the deal.

Look, you want a Rap and probably most of FRF want you to be in one too. Me included. So, just look at the truck as objectively as you can and if you don’t have any competing deals or you keep coming back to this one or both, then start talking turkey.

The sooner we get you into a Raptor, the sooner we can all live vicariously through spending your money on Raptor mods for you. :)

3Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a perspective, but if you are having to stretch financially to get to $31k, then a 150k mile truck is maybe not the best idea. If you drop down to a "regular" F150, you can get a helluva lot of truck for a lot less miles for $31k. For reliability, I like my '13 5.0L XL SCAB a lot, quick enough for daily driving and rides great.

Your money, your decision. And your financials are none of my business. If you love the truck, well - I have not always been rational with my money when it comes to vehicles.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Offer 28 or 29 if the truck checks the boxes and start a rainy day fund for repairs. Hopefully nothing crazy comes up. I paid 25k for a 2010 scab with 170k miles last year, but it looked good. I have dropped another 2k or so in the last year on it, but it seems rock solid.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. if you’re talking discretionary money, meaning you are spending this money on the truck and it fulfills a designated purpose and only that truck will do, then yeah, go for it but do so knowing you may have some expenditures coming your way.

If you’re going to have to finance all, most, heck maybe even half the purchase I’d say think hard about this one, get a LONG test drive.
I’m not against financing a ‘fun’ vehicle or discretionary vehicle, but do so wisely and with your eyes open.

I’m colored by my experience, and I own a Rap, so it’s easy for me to poo-poo 31k for this truck, but not so much for you - the one looking at it and trying to get into a Rap.

If it were me, I would like to think I would be rational enough about this much expenditure to have an independent mechanic look at the truck and make some assessments. It sounds like it’s in good exterior condition

Think about it and if you keep coming back to it, then start negotiating and make a mechanic review part of the deal.

Look, you want a Rap and probably most of FRF want you to be in one too. Me included. So, just look at the truck as objectively as you can and if you don’t have any competing deals or you keep coming back to this one or both, then start talking turkey.

The sooner we get you into a Raptor, the sooner we can all live vicariously through spending your money on Raptor mods for you. :)
And the sooner @smurfslayer will bestow upon you the most coveted hashtag