My truck is starting to ride like Sh*t

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The nitrogen charge has probably lost some PSI. On the rebuild they did the hypodermic needle into the rubber plug thing. Sounds sketchy to me.

Same here! I shelled out for the schraders, the whole needle thing just looks like an accident waiting to happen for me.

Wait, have you broken any mirrors lately? Walk under a ladder? Have a herd of black cats cross your path? Pretty sure it's some kind of curse :evil27: hopefully it'll follow the old shocks and not the truck :biggrin:

OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here! I shelled out for the schraders, the whole needle thing just looks like an accident waiting to happen for me.

Wait, have you broken any mirrors lately? Walk under a ladder? Have a herd of black cats cross your path? Pretty sure it's some kind of curse :evil27: hopefully it'll follow the old shocks and not the truck :biggrin:

No mirrors, or cats, but a lot of ladders.

After ignoring 6 hours of OSHA training today and thinking about my truck. I'm thinking I should just rebuild the stock shocks to factory specs (low perch, factory lower bushings and a rebuild with factory parts). I'm second guessing upgrading to 3.0's. I want the Cadillac ride my truck came with... Thoughts?

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No mirrors, or cats, but a lot of ladders.

After ignoring 6 hours of OSHA training today and thinking about my truck. I'm thinking I should just rebuild the stock shocks to factory specs (low perch, factory lower bushings and a rebuild with factory parts). I'm second guessing upgrading to 3.0's. I want the Cadillac ride my truck came with... Thoughts?

4 pages in and we finally are getting you to my post on page 2

congrats man im happy you made it.

dont get me wrong either. i think what you have done so far has upgraded your ride in the sense of offroad capabilities, however on the road will 100% feel harsher with everything you have done.

OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 pages in and we finally are getting you to my post on page 2

congrats man im happy you made it.

dont get me wrong either. i think what you have done so far has upgraded your ride in the sense of offroad capabilities, however on the road will 100% feel harsher with everything you have done.

I guess I should have clarified in the beginning. The off road ride sucks too. It feels OK if I'm driving through rollers, but any washboard or sharp hit and the truck feels like shit. We are probably talking ourselves in circles, but unfortunately the ride issue has been put on the back burner until I get thins clunky drive line sorted, then the power steering, then the new brakes installed. It's frustrating to have $1,000 worth of parts sitting in my office and not on the truck.

Stopped by a local dealer after work and they said they are backlogged 2-3 weeks, AND they didn't have the 2 2018's on the lot they had yesterday...

So, Mr. AndysLog(jammer), how is your truck set up?

Last edited:

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have clarified in the beginning. The off road ride sucks too. It feels OK if I'm driving through rollers, but any washboard or sharp hit and the truck feels like shit. We are probably talking ourselves in circles, but unfortunately the ride issue has been put on the back burner until I get thins clunky drive line sorted, then the power steering, then the new brakes installed. It's frustrating to have $1,000 worth of parts sitting in my office and not on the truck.

Stopped by a local dealer after work and they said they are backlogged 2-3 weeks, AND they didn't have the 2 2018's on the lot they had yesterday...
Could it be that you have just gotten used to the ride?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score

So, Mr. AndysLog(jammer), how is your truck set up?

ok yea thats a bummer. before you change you shocks completely. see if going back to low perch will help. if thats enough for the ride to be enjoyable for you then sweet ******* you get to enjoy the flutter stack and bearing bushing.

dont make any crazy decisions like a brand new truck over ride quality when you can at least attempt to make changes cheaply first.

im currently stock just getting used to the current stock suspension with i assume 140k mile shocks. nothing is leaking yet so im happy hah. i have done a fair amount of research and so far i would really like the try the gieser springs, and me rebuilding the factory shocks. adding the rear deaver replacment springs to get rid of the block. in stages so i can get a really good feel for the changes and because im pooooooooooooor.

i think going back to factory lowest perch setting will help a lot.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm second guessing upgrading to 3.0's. I want the Cadillac ride my truck came with... Thoughts?

That's the $64,000 question (+ TT&L...or $5250 plus freight in the case of the Icon Stage 1). Probably the same question about half of Raptor owners contend with, well unless you actually use it as intended then it's more like 90% heh. I'm no expert and I have already overthought it to death in my head on my own truck.

Anyway the way I'm looking at it is, how much and how harsh is the offroad side of the coin? One chase run in Baja a year? Just washboard roads at home or any TX runs? If reality is more like 80/20 street/dirt, and you get 9000 miles-ish out of rebuilt stock 2.5's (couldn't find how long it was since you had them rebuilt), you might be better off doing those semi-regularly and maybe adding Deavers and rear bumps when/if you can. If it's 50/50 or better I would take a serious look at DSC Fox or Kings (just IMHO) as the adjustability alone will allow you the better of both worlds (I've read Icon shocks are digressive so firm/harsh on small stuff and softer on bigger hits-someone correct me if I'm wrong), along with Deavers and bumps, maybe UCA's. I'd think anything like 20/80 and you're into crazy long travel, cage, bank heist for funding, wife making you sleep on the couch territory. Not that that's a bad thing, just not for everybody.

As an aside, how much of the current ****** ride is kinetic and how much is just auditory? I mean, do you feel it or hear it? Checked balljoints lately? Probably too soon for a-arm pivots, but is everything tight like wheel bearings, tie rods, CV's, etc.?

OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the $64,000 question (+ TT&L...or $5250 plus freight in the case of the Icon Stage 1). Probably the same question about half of Raptor owners contend with, well unless you actually use it as intended then it's more like 90% heh. I'm no expert and I have already overthought it to death in my head on my own truck.

Anyway the way I'm looking at it is, how much and how harsh is the offroad side of the coin? One chase run in Baja a year? Just washboard roads at home or any TX runs? If reality is more like 80/20 street/dirt, and you get 9000 miles-ish out of rebuilt stock 2.5's (couldn't find how long it was since you had them rebuilt), you might be better off doing those semi-regularly and maybe adding Deavers and rear bumps when/if you can. If it's 50/50 or better I would take a serious look at DSC Fox or Kings (just IMHO) as the adjustability alone will allow you the better of both worlds (I've read Icon shocks are digressive so firm/harsh on small stuff and softer on bigger hits-someone correct me if I'm wrong), along with Deavers and bumps, maybe UCA's. I'd think anything like 20/80 and you're into crazy long travel, cage, bank heist for funding, wife making you sleep on the couch territory. Not that that's a bad thing, just not for everybody.

As an aside, how much of the current ****** ride is kinetic and how much is just auditory? I mean, do you feel it or hear it? Checked balljoints lately? Probably too soon for a-arm pivots, but is everything tight like wheel bearings, tie rods, CV's, etc.?

With my OCD, I've done my best to squeak/rattle proof my truck. However, after the hard freeze we had, some of the felt tape I put on the inside of the door panels and interior plastic bits has shrunk and moved around, so some minor rattles have come back. This will all be fixed soon.

Out of 41,000 miles, I will estimate I've put just over 5,000 miles off road. So I'm at the usual 90/10 split. That being said, my off road miles include everything from 70 mph washboard roads, to CAREFULLY pruning portions of the 500 (its a support vehicle for 2 bikes, got to drive it home). But, when I need my truck to perform off road, I need it to perform flawlessly. My thinking of going to 3.0's is it would add reliability and durability to the shocks when in Mexico. Less fade, no cheep lower shock bushings that last 5000 miles, more dampening, etc. Would 3.0's make my on road ride any better than it is now, maybe a little, but knowing my self, I'd probably pop the stockers back in for the other 11 months out of the year. Worth the 5 grand upgrade? Meh...

I don't see bump stops as a necessity for me. I'm mindful enough of the terrain to avoid big hits. Baja kits UCA's are only going on the truck if the stockers are worn out. I'm all about the deavers, but I can't afford the reduced payload capacity when I'm already over the max when carrying 2 bikes, tools, gear, fuel and a lot of beer. Custom deavers are an option, but I've never had an issue with wheel chatter with the bed carrying a couple hundred pounds and the tires aired down to 30 psi. In short, I'm stuck wishing in one hand and ******** in the other.

Every April I start researching Fox, King, and Icon's in preparation for our Baja 500 trip. I've just never pulled the trigger. Almost everyone I come across in Mexico has either Fox or King 3.0's on their truck. I usually strike up a conversation about them and the answers are always the same. DO IT, WAY BETTER, blah blah blah. Those guys are racers, and probably only use their raptors off road and have smooth California streets to drive on. So I take their info with a grain of salt.

Lets take a more logical approach to my conundrum:

3.0's
$5,000
10,000 - 20,000 mile service life
$400 - $700 service cost (guessing)
Better off road ride
Worse on road ride (compared to stock)
They look cool

Factory 2.5's
Free
Yearly service (mileage is hit or miss with me)
$400 - $700 service cost (local guy vs sending them to California)
OK off road performance
Awesome on road ride
Stock = Lame

AndysLog(jammer), don't let that ego get too big...

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the rebuild, flutter stack, and Geiser springs the ride is amazing again! Bottom of the front fenders are now at 41.25” after measuring again. Gained about an 1.5”. Pics of current stance and the shocks that came off. 4d05cd9241960f97f98bfff8205882a5.jpgf317e6ebe58dd564df28df7b2b897d18.jpg

Sent from my Raptor using Tapatalk.

OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After the rebuild, flutter stack, and Geiser springs the ride is amazing again! Bottom of the front fenders are now at 41.25” after measuring again. Gained about an 1.5”. Pics of current stance and the shocks that came off. 4d05cd9241960f97f98bfff8205882a5.jpgf317e6ebe58dd564df28df7b2b897d18.jpg

Sent from my Raptor using Tapatalk.

Elaborate on the Geiser springs. I read up on them when they were in R&D, but haven't bothered since.