My tailgate was stolen!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bababooey32

Reaction score
I'm not sure that documenting your insurance fraud on a public forum is the best course of action. No skin off my teeth, but an enterprising insurance company could find this and track you down and you could get a mighty slap down. Just be careful.

RE: Masterlock Tailgate Lock. Looks intriguing, but I'm worried it would rattle around and maybe even bind up the tailgate. Just looks loose and sloppy compared to the "clamp" style locks discussed earlier.

TTOKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the master lock on my tailgate for a month or so with no rattles or problems.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure that documenting your insurance fraud on a public forum is the best course of action. No skin off my teeth, but an enterprising insurance company could find this and track you down and you could get a mighty slap down. Just be careful.

Fraud?!?? Trippin! Guys actually helping insurance companies. Many guys are well known to this issue now. Without this thread, I woulda never known about the auto lock mechanism!
*Edit: and to help with your misunderstanding.... Anytime u have insurance damage, u can get an estimate and ask for the check. Then do whatever u want with it.

Great heads up, thanks for the thread!

Last edited:

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score

RE: Masterlock Tailgate Lock. Looks intriguing, but I'm worried it would rattle around and maybe even bind up the tailgate. Just looks loose and sloppy compared to the "clamp" style locks discussed earlier.

Yeah where is the fraud? Insurance has to pay you for the replacement of the tailgate, where you are able to get the tailgate from is your business. His buddy hooked him up. He didn't even have to replace it, but that would reflect in the value of the vehicle.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score

this isnt fraud..... fraud would be if he had someone steal the tailgate for the money and then getting his tailgate back and keeping the money. hell he pays insurance, when he has a claim he can do whatever the **** he wants with it. he can make a claim and then not even buy a tailgate and just run without it! when something is stolen you dont have to get the exact same thing just cuz the insurance gave you money for it being stolen.

mrwizard93

Reaction score
I just had my tailgate stolen last night from in front of my house ... I have the M-Fer on video. It looks like he busted the lock somehow and just popped the gate off in less than 5 minutes. I hope karma has a good time with his ass in the future.

So what is the consensus on the best protection for our gates ...

1 - the master lock thing (with velcro to keep it from jiggling around and scratching the bed)
2 - the truck tailgate protector device (Truck Tail Gate Protector)
3 - a simple stainless steel clamp (like the one Joker put on his truck back on page 7 of this thread)
4 - a BAKFlip tonneau cover in combination with any of the above

I was thinking #4 with a combo of #2 and either #1 or #3 (one for each side). Is this a good idea??? I am thinking that the longer it will take to get off, the better my chances of keeping the damn thing on.

I know there is no tried and true way of keeping your stuff from getting jacked, but a good deterrent would help. I know the scumbag is already thinking that he is going to come back in a couple of weeks to get the replacement one I am going to end up buying (with the help of State Farm).

And I know this may be a stupid question but why in hell doesn't Ford come up with a better way of protecting the gate from theft --- oh wait a minute, I just remembered that i am going to have to buy a replacement one. :buttkick: