My 37 got smoked by a Hyundai SUV (question)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Brownie

Brownie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your story is very puzzling, I wrote something about this a few weeks back and I don’t believe my truck should be performing this poorly as well. Unlike you I have the 35 package and I was completely owned by a what appeared to be stock Subaru. No racing involved however I was trying to get into a turning lane and when the **** heard my exhaust rev he simply thought that meant “ hey let’s go” which wasn’t the case. This truck is outrageously slow or lacks any balls off the line or passing power as I was in sport mode. Yes I know this isn’t a quarter mile monster and understand what it was designed for but I seriously think @Brownie might be on to something with this. My truck feels as if it is seriously under performing in terms of acceleration. Maybe the sound that’s being created is tricking my mind to feel that I should be backing off the accelerator causing me to subconsciously back off a bit but I doubt that. Truth be told 35 or 37 I’m not impressed with on road performance which is where my truck spends most of its life. Don’t get me wrong I love the look and idea of having this thing but I guess I’m gonna need the GT 500 if I want a bit of thrill (not apples to apples comparison I know) I’m just driving home the fact that a Hyundai and Subaru’s are owning raptor owners daily in an area I feel shouldn't be the case. I know some will object and that’s what this forum is for but I do feel he might be on to something. I honestly don’t even know where to start to relay to the dealer that I feel as if my throttle is being restricted because it honestly does but zero faults or performance warningS being displayed on the dash or in the app. Thoughts
For me the problem was most pronounced in normal mode. When I hit that accelerator hard, it would get stuck around 4 to 5,000 RPMs and hang there way too long in the same gear. I don't know how else to explain it but to say that it felt like it was gasping for air. When I got it back from the dealership that was all gone. It actually puts me back in the seat all the way up to 75 or 80 mph. And that's in normal mode. Haven't really given it a good run that way in sport yet.

One of the other guys in here made a good guess at it. He said it's possible that the computer was changing the gearing when it noticed I was having a knock sensor issue. Perhaps it was holding back to save the engine, or even only firing on 5 cylinders for all I know. Anyway, best of luck to you! Let us know if anything changes.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For me the problem was most pronounced in normal mode. When I hit that accelerator hard, it would get stuck around 4 to 5,000 RPMs and hang there way too long in the same gear. I don't know how else to explain it but to say that it felt like it was gasping for air. When I got it back from the dealership that was all gone. It actually puts me back in the seat all the way up to 75 or 80 mph. And that's in normal mode. Haven't really given it a good run that way in sport yet.

One of the other guys in here made a good guess at it. He said it's possible that the computer was changing the gearing when it noticed I was having a knock sensor issue. Perhaps it was holding back to save the engine, or even only firing on 5 cylinders for all I know. Anyway, best of luck to you! Let us know if anything changes.
What you were feeling is the PCM pulling all timing advance because it couldn’t get valid data from the knock sensor. If there is no knock detected (detonation) the PCM will advance the timing incrementally to take advantage of the higher octane being used. With a bad knock sensor, it’s going to retard timing and reduce power. Glad it’s fixed and running strong!

Troubleman

Reaction score
this guy still getting smoked or...?
Yeah I clearly must have a defected Gen3, I’ve tried to find the exhilaration all the enthusiast talk about but my Trucks performance is simply not that great. I don’t race nor do I intend to try to but I at least expect it to hold its own when these ****** seemingly try to want to run. It’s a hell of a looker but truck don’t have any balls.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I clearly must have a defected Gen3, I’ve tried to find the exhilaration all the enthusiast talk about but my Trucks performance is simply not that great. I don’t race nor do I intend to try to but I at least expect it to hold its own when these ****** seemingly try to want to run. It’s a hell of a looker but truck don’t have any balls.
“The 1997 was the most changed Corvette since 1953. The C5 is faster (345 hp), lighter (68 lbs less than the 1996 model)”https://www.corvettemuseum.org/learn/about-corvette/corvette-specs/1997-corvette-specs/
Is what the magazine stated as I drooled over my new car poster hanging in my bedroom as a teenager. 0-60 in 4.5. I was blown away.
These cars were/are fast in there time. I feel the same about the Raptor…. Yes there will always be something faster and everyone has their “line”. Mine line is, anything in the 4sec range. I think a Goose Tune will get you there. Cheers

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Damn - defect lol. Get a tune and then if that doesnt work, take it to get a custom done tune so they can read everything at the same time. OR your tuner can show you how to log your daily movements and can make a determination if your stock situation is ******

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score

You have any metrics, 0-60 or anything to compare? Not saying you're wrong, but there may be something wrong with your truck, or your butt dyno may be out of whack.

Troubleman

Reaction score
You have any metrics, 0-60 or anything to compare? Not saying you're wrong, but there may be something wrong with your truck, or your butt dyno may be out of whack.
I don’t have any metrics at this moment, as I’ve stated in a previous post I had not had the time to really investigate but I know something is wrong. I’ve owned several vehicles that could be reasonable comparisons or how I baseline my attestation to speed Or lack there of. I appreciate all with the tune recommendations because I do feel that’s what’s going to be the determining factor for me. I will begin my journey of identifying a shop that will be able to complete this for me. I said I give the truck until it hits 5K for me to figure it out and I’m about 1K away from that so i predict some power in my near future.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I don’t have any metrics at this moment, as I’ve stated in a previous post I had not had the time to really investigate but I know something is wrong. I’ve owned several vehicles that could be reasonable comparisons or how I baseline my attestation to speed Or lack there of. I appreciate all with the tune recommendations because I do feel that’s what’s going to be the determining factor for me. I will begin my journey of identifying a shop that will be able to complete this for me. I said I give the truck until it hits 5K for me to figure it out and I’m about 1K away from that so i predict some power in my near future.

Look at Goosetuned for tuning. He is very knowledgeable and have done a number of our trucks on this forum.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One question I have had for this thread and other is what are/were your expectations for the truck?

I am just curious as people’s backgrounds influence their viewpoints some.

The new raptor is pretty fast for a truck, faster than my gen 1. But my gen 1 would be a good bit faster than my lifted Dodge Ram on 35’s. Depends on what you are used to.

As far as offroad goes, I keep the truck in 2nd or 3rd (not as much) gear most of the time and that usually keeps the rpms right in the sweet spot so the truck feels pretty fast.

I will also add that the twin turbos produce a torque curve (comes on at what 1900 rpms for 90% of your available torque) that in my opinion makes it hard to tell how fast you are going unless you look. A naturally aspirated V8 needs some rpms to build the torque and you really feel it. In an odd way it is almost like a larger turbo with a little lag, once it gets going it is going.

Just my thoughts on the subject.