My 37 got smoked by a Hyundai SUV (question)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brownie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, while entering the highway, a younger dude in a little hyundai SUV tried to overtake me and my 37 on the entrance ramp to I-70. I floored it (in sport mode) and he flipped me the bird as he easily overtook me (I guess I had that coming LOL).

Then this week I dropped off my truck for a warranty engine knock sensor replacement. They said it was a bad factory part, that the engine was fine. They gave me a loaner--a Ford F-150 XLT with the same 3.5L ecoboost engine. This loaner has 31 inch tires. I noticed that it is REMARAKBLY faster in acceleration than my 37. This loaner would smoke my 37 in a drag race. I am sure some of this has to do with tire size, but am concerned that there may be other issues.

Any comments? For you others who have a 37, what's your experience with acceleration?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
#1....stop trying to "race" in the real world, the little Hyundai won't try t race you off road. You have a Baja monster, not a 1/4 mile rocket. Square peg meet round hole. The truck is plenty "fast" for what it needs to do.....dont want people to pass you on the highway....go buy a mustang.

#2... It is common knowledge, 37's are less quick than 35 trucks. Larger tires create more unsprung weight which makes takes a lot of power to over come.

#3... there is always someone faster, even Hyundai

TX-RAP70R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago, while entering the highway, a younger dude in a little hyundai SUV tried to overtake me and my 37 on the entrance ramp to I-70. I floored it (in sport mode) and he flipped me the bird as he easily overtook me (I guess I had that coming LOL).

Then this week I dropped off my truck for a warranty engine knock sensor replacement. They said it was a bad factory part, that the engine was fine. They gave me a loaner--a Ford F-150 XLT with the same 3.5L ecoboost engine. This loaner has 31 inch tires. I noticed that it is REMARAKBLY faster in acceleration than my 37. This loaner would smoke my 37 in a drag race. I am sure some of this has to do with tire size, but am concerned that there may be other issues.

Any comments? For you others who have a 37, what's your experience with acceleration?
I can probably beat you with a Pontiac Aztek! I'll put money on it!

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's your tire size... but also the Raptor is slow for pavement accelerations.

Larger tires act like installing taller gears in the rear end (axle).
So if the Raptor 35 has 4.10s, then the 37 will feel like 3.55 gears. Big difference.

One of the reasons I opted for the 35s.

I was surprised when I test drove it...I expected more.

Basically I was expecting the Raptor to feel like an Explorer ST... quick SUV!!! Love the way it accelerates!!

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you had a bad knock sensor, it may have still been pulling timing to protect the engine. Mine feels pretty quick. But as others have said... not meant for hwy races.