My 37 got smoked by a Hyundai SUV (question)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoshi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a fast offroad truck, you could always get a Brenthel Gen 3 for a few dollars more. But then again, it's not street legal and probably not gonna fit in a Starbucks drive-thru.

6100-Trophy-Truck-12.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brownie

Brownie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I got the truck back from the dealership after they replaced the knock sensor and apparently it was having problems before. Having nothing to compare to, I thought the sluggishness might be normal. It wasn't. I don't have any hard evidence to back me up but I would estimate I'm getting 10 to 20% more power and acceleration than I was before the knock sensor was replaced. Happy ending. Thanks for all the comments

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: I got the truck back from the dealership after they replaced the knock sensor and apparently it was having problems before. Having nothing to compare to, I thought the sluggishness might be normal. It wasn't. I don't have any hard evidence to back me up but I would estimate I'm getting 10 to 20% more power and acceleration than I was before the knock sensor was replaced. Happy ending. Thanks for all the comments
Great news. Now for a rematch!! Haha
I’m sure we could go another 17 pages.

Troubleman

Reaction score
So your story is very puzzling, I wrote something about this a few weeks back and I don’t believe my truck should be performing this poorly as well. Unlike you I have the 35 package and I was completely owned by a what appeared to be stock Subaru. No racing involved however I was trying to get into a turning lane and when the **** heard my exhaust rev he simply thought that meant “ hey let’s go” which wasn’t the case. This truck is outrageously slow or lacks any balls off the line or passing power as I was in sport mode. Yes I know this isn’t a quarter mile monster and understand what it was designed for but I seriously think @Brownie might be on to something with this. My truck feels as if it is seriously under performing in terms of acceleration. Maybe the sound that’s being created is tricking my mind to feel that I should be backing off the accelerator causing me to subconsciously back off a bit but I doubt that. Truth be told 35 or 37 I’m not impressed with on road performance which is where my truck spends most of its life. Don’t get me wrong I love the look and idea of having this thing but I guess I’m gonna need the GT 500 if I want a bit of thrill (not apples to apples comparison I know) I’m just driving home the fact that a Hyundai and Subaru’s are owning raptor owners daily in an area I feel shouldn't be the case. I know some will object and that’s what this forum is for but I do feel he might be on to something. I honestly don’t even know where to start to relay to the dealer that I feel as if my throttle is being restricted because it honestly does but zero faults or performance warningS being displayed on the dash or in the app. Thoughts

Troubleman

Reaction score
Never expecting a Raptor to be fast, but "quick" for sure. But I do know big truck will always win the highway lane change game.... You start inching over and that little Hyundai or whatever little car has no choice. In that respect, i do get feeling of sitting tall and mighty :)
Definitely not the case...some Subaru owner is around the water cooler telling the story of how he took me to school with ease. Acceleration sucks in this GEN3. My truck may need a check-up or with just over 4K on the dash maybe the testicles haven’t descended. Only time will tell.

Troubleman

Reaction score
A Raptor is slow compared to what? The only faster truck is a TRX.
I used to be an owner of a Sierra Denali with the 6.2 engine, I know the numbers. Are lower but that truck was flat out fast for a big truck, I’d easily put money on it over the Raptor in the quickness department. that truck felt powerful, agile, and sounded like a truck in comparison to my Gen 3 which feels a bit ( well a lot) under powered with rice burner exhaust.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to be an owner of a Sierra Denali with the 6.2 engine, I know the numbers. Are lower but that truck was flat out fast for a big truck, I’d easily put money on it over the Raptor in the quickness department. that truck felt powerful, agile, and sounded like a truck in comparison to my Gen 3 which feels a bit ( well a lot) under powered with rice burner exhaust.
I had a 2013 Raptor with the 6.2 and it was the “fastest “ truck I have owned or driven (till I got my 2011 ecoboost) and I took any and every truck on( 25-27 years old at the time) till I met a lightning and got beat. Then I got my 2018 Raptor and was 10 years older so I was racing anymore but definitely WOT when passing and it was remarkably “faster” then my Gen 1 and felt slightly quicker then my work truck. I say all that to say, you truck sounds broken! Other Gen3 owners here that owned a gen2 said it is tuned better from stock then their previous truck. Goosetune had it up on the ramp doing test and said it was better ( I will need to dig up that thread)
Are you running 87 or 93?

Troubleman

Reaction score
I had a 2013 Raptor with the 6.2 and it was the “fastest “ truck I have owned or driven (till I got my 2011 ecoboost) and I took any and every truck on( 25-27 years old at the time) till I met a lightning and got beat. Then I got my 2018 Raptor and was 10 years older so I was racing anymore but definitely WOT when passing and it was remarkably “faster” then my Gen 1 and felt slightly quicker then my work truck. I say all that to say, you truck sounds broken! Other Gen3 owners here that owned a gen2 said it is tuned better from stock then their previous truck. Goosetune had it up on the ramp doing test and said it was better ( I will need to dig up that thread)
Are you running 87 or 93?
I would agree with your assessment of my truck. I always run 93 Octane according to the gas pump, maybe I need an octane booster Or maybe my expectations were too high. I just hadn’t had the time to dig into it really as my truck has spent more time in the repair shop over any new vehicle that I have ever purchased (mainly suspension issues, ride height sensors and such) And now I was sent a recall notice in the mail yesterday for something related to the underbody. When I get the opportunity to really give it some time I’m gonna address this with a proper tune. All of my vehicles are slow so I comfort myself with the Raptor in comparison being the fastest of the bunch ( not by much though).

Andrew555

Reaction score
Just got my 2021 Raptor 37, I love it but its not quick at all. Nice sound to it and great riding truck. Watched a few reviews prior to buying and the 0-60 times were disappointing but I was aware of that... Still an enjoyable ride. If I wanted speed I wouldve went with a TRX...