My 2014 Roush Raptor Doesn't Feel Like 590hp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeyfitz

Reaction score
I snagged a 2012 Roushcharged one for a **** around truck. And in comparison to R... The thing is a ******* **** hahaha. But its more of a daily than the R. So im okay with it. Would be nice to give it a little power love though.

Or atleast it respond better to throttle. (pedal commander maybe)

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
These packages were rated by Roush; they aren’t comparable to OEM or SAE certified ratings. Hence expectations vs. reality.

Line up a “700HP” Roush upfitted Gen 1 with a stock 700HP Raptor R; the Roush will look like it’s going backward.

Be advised that the Roush supercharger kit places a significant torsional load on the crank, which the 6.2 was never designed to handle being a naturally aspirated engine. The smaller the pulley, the higher the load on the crank. That loading can result in cracked oil pump gears, which causes oil pressure loss and catastrophic engine failure.

You can upgrade to a billet oil pump, but it’s a lot of work with a significant cost. Even with the oil pump upgrade the next weak point is the pistons and rods; neither are designed to handle boost.
@FordTechOne your contributions to this forum are priceless. Thank you!

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since you already have the truck supercharged, getting to the oil pump, like @FordTechOne mentioned would be a PITA/labor.

I remember before I boosted my old truck that most said to get the billet pump in before it gets boosted. Don't think it took the shop that much more time to throw it in when the engine was somewhat apart.

StangGT5

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roush just installed the superchargers on the 6.2s that were in the trucks, so no they are not built for boost. With that said 600hp is plenty for truck that is so much fun with 420hp. It's big, it's heavy, it has leaf springs, and it has a truck transmission. It's not going to be a sports car.

Best advice is to get a better tune and enjoy what you have. Stressing the 6.2 to the max to be marginally faster than a tuned GTI is kind of waste but thats just like my opinion man.

Mineratron

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and get a JDM tune in it.
The Roush tune is horrendous, they also do not change any of the tables in the transmission.
What are the differences between the JDM tune and the Roush tune including the transmission tables?

My mate was asking me about JDM the other week but I wasn’t sure to be honest…

I’ve got a 2014 Stage 2 and its not slow or lacking power by any stretch of the imagination… thing’s nuts for a truck! :p Laws of physics play their part but still much easier to climb dunes in it than a 250hp Mitsubishi Pajero that weighs a metric ton less. Would only do headers on it if flush with cash.

Just changed the plugs, leads and coils… waiting on the wheels being powder coated to get it out again and see how it feels freshened up. Definitely idles and sounds better than before.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are the differences between the JDM tune and the Roush tune including the transmission tables?

My mate was asking me about JDM the other week but I wasn’t sure to be honest…

I’ve got a 2014 Stage 2 and its not slow or lacking power by any stretch of the imagination… thing’s nuts for a truck! :p Laws of physics play their part but still much easier to climb dunes in it than a 250hp Mitsubishi Pajero that weighs a metric ton less. Would only do headers on it if flush with cash.

Just changed the plugs, leads and coils… waiting on the wheels being powder coated to get it out again and see how it feels freshened up. Definitely idles and sounds better than before.
There is a ton of things that are different and a call to Jim at JDM will provide much more info than I can.
I have brought this up numerous times, but Roush tune uses fuel to control detonation. Not a great way to do it. You are way safer and make more power controlling detonation with timing control and fuel.
Roush plops a blower on the stock 6.2 and adds some fuel... They don't even change to proper heat range plugs, they barely adjust any of the stock parameters, they just make it survive..lol
JDM tunes the engine and transmission to actually work together. The diveability in JDM tune is great.

Mineratron

Reaction score
Thanks @Canuck714 I had a look back through some old posts on it plus I had a look at some of the videos on Haltec’s YouTube channel to remind myself of the basics of tuning.

Found a load of good info and can understand the points about adding fuel and leaving a lot alone. Makes senses when selling a kit which can be covered by a limited dealer warranty. Mostly bolt on and using existing fat in the design parameters of the motor and systems.

I had something niggling in my head about oil pump gear failures/upgrades which I found in this thread (reply from @FordTechOne) as on of the old thread replies was “my 700hp tune was great till the oil pump drive shat itself“ or words to that effect. Saw a few posts highly recommending it.

Given the effort to change that plus having just done all the plugs, its not something that’ll be on my radar for a while. Suspension mods for the desert would be a better spend for me. I don’t have any issues with the shift points or throttle response, on or off-road (which is mostly in 1st/2nd or using M+/-), truck has plenty about it. Looks like a solid and well done tune though.

martinitime

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just picked up a 2014 Supercharged Roush Raptor w/ 60,000 miles on it. I was excited about it being 590hp, but after buying it and driving it hard to see it's limits, it seems more like it has 400 horsepower lol Max boost it gets is 6psi. I read they made a Roush 525hp version, Stage I? Which would make sense, because it only feels like 400hp is actually getting to the wheels (also taking into account the enormous weight of the truck itself).

How can I tell if I have the 525hp or 590hp version? Or maybe there is something I should check in the engine bay?

Thanks!
Buy an extra belt. When/If you off-road it, they're notorious for tossing their belts off in the dirt when it gets airborne.